Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Popcorn machine (metal content)

Have had this popcorn machine (theater type, medium size) for about 15 years
now (got it used). Unable to make a second batch of popcorn.
First batch: turn on the heater, add oil, add popcorn, wait and get about
99% to pop.
Second batch: Dump first batch, (heater switch still on) immediately add
oil and corn, wait and get ONLY about 30% to pop.
Third batch: Same as second.

Machine consists of cast aluminum pot, disc type heater (electric) bolted to
the bottom, an in-line thermostat about the size of a pack of chewing gum.
Manufacturer very helpful, we're on our third thermostat. No difference.

Question: What would make a heating element (solid disc, about 5 in.
diameter) act intermittent. It is very similar to the heating coils on an
electric stove. I would think if it comes up to temperature once, it should
be alright. There are no moving parts within the heating element. It is
probably simply just a giant resistor.
The vendor is out of ideas short of selling me a new heating element
(expensive, but I'll buy one if indicated). In his 30 years of experience
all he has sold was thermostats, or, heating elements when they were 'open'
and wouldn't heat at all.

Any and all ideas appreciated. I loan this popper out to charities all the
time and therefore need it.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
[...]

Do you have a thermocouple you can measure the temperature with? Maybe a
cheap digital multimeter + thermocouple probe.

Just a wild idea - how is the heating element mounted - is there anyway that
it could flex/bow away from the pot as it heats up?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 11, 5:10*pm, "Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Question: *What would make a heating element (solid disc, about 5 in.
diameter) act intermittent. *It is very similar to the heating coils on an
electric stove. *I would think if it comes up to temperature once, it should
be alright.

No, it's unusual but it can happen. You need to hang a clamp AC
ammeter on one line and watch the amps. Another test (tricky) is to
short the thermostat and see if you can run two batches -- but watch
out for overheating!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I suspect the over heat switch is set and you have a warming value
or the warm value of the switch has resistance.

I have some thermal switches that have coils that heat in series and
once hot it shorts out the coil. Resistive wire that heats the bi-metal.

Try putting an ice cube in the bucket - then towel it out. It might
be cold enough to reset the contact set(s).

Might be the contact set is getting pitted and takes a full cool to
really press hard.

Martin

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I second the notion of using the clamp on ammeter. Any foibles about
primary/secondary heating, opens, etc will show up in a hurry. Make a
time vs amperage chart for the first batch, compare to the second.

Horrible freight has an OK one for $20

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Have had this popcorn machine (theater type, medium size) for about 15 years
now (got it used). Unable to make a second batch of popcorn.
First batch: turn on the heater, add oil, add popcorn, wait and get about
99% to pop.
Second batch: Dump first batch, (heater switch still on) immediately add
oil and corn, wait and get ONLY about 30% to pop.
Third batch: Same as second.

Machine consists of cast aluminum pot, disc type heater (electric) bolted to
the bottom, an in-line thermostat about the size of a pack of chewing gum.
Manufacturer very helpful, we're on our third thermostat. No difference.

bad heater or connections? It's possible the element has a crack or
something like that.

Question: What would make a heating element (solid disc, about 5 in.
diameter) act intermittent. It is very similar to the heating coils on an
electric stove. I would think if it comes up to temperature once, it should
be alright. There are no moving parts within the heating element. It is
probably simply just a giant resistor.

There is stress on the element itself as it heats and cools off.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

To all the above. I have an ammeter and will monitor the readings
throughout the first and second batches of popcorn. At the conclusion I
will report back and you guys tell me how to interpret the results.

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I would also get an IR thermometer and monitor the temperature.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan,
My guess is the pot itself. I believe you are losing the heat couple between the element and the pot due to distortion (warping)
Steve

"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:10:31 -0800, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

[...]

I'd suspect the safety thermostat inside the pot, or it's mounting -
it might be missing a washer under the sense element mounting screw,
or the sensor element bulb is loose against the inside of the popping
pot.

It warms up properly to run the first batch and the heater will stay
on pretty much constantly, and when it nears completion and all the
oil and kernels go away the thermostat cuts out - that would be
normal.

But when you swab out the pot, flip it up and fill it again with
cool oil and fresh corn the thermostat should reset and heat the pot
to full blast again - and it won't reset.

Don't discount that it could be an inherent poor design of the
thermostats - I'd want to check the spec sheets. I have seen makers
cheap out and save a dime by using a 6A rated stat on a 6A load,
meaning "it's legal" but there is no headroom on the contacts - it
works till it's out of warranty, then it fails...

A10A rated stat will last 'forever' on a 6A load, because it has a
little headroom.

If the heating element is going intermittent it wont be "going" for
long before it's "gone" permanent open. It can arc across the break
for a dozen or three cycles, but eventually the spark gap will erode
to a hopeless condition.

Watch it with the ammeter, and study the wiring diagram for other
possible opens - If it's a removable pop pot it could also be the
receptacle where the cord on the pot plugs into the machine body.

Oh, and that cord to the pot could be going bad, too - it flexes
every time you dump the pot, and wiggles from the stir motor...

It might have chrome flex armor on the outside, but inside you'll
find either SO Cord, HPN heater cord or (best) three strands of the
Silicone and Fiberglass "Nickel Hinge Wire". And they will go longer
when going bad before they flat out fail.

-- Bruce --