Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Popcorn machine (metal content)

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Have had this popcorn machine (theater type, medium size) for about 15 years
now (got it used). Unable to make a second batch of popcorn.
First batch: turn on the heater, add oil, add popcorn, wait and get about
99% to pop.
Second batch: Dump first batch, (heater switch still on) immediately add
oil and corn, wait and get ONLY about 30% to pop.
Third batch: Same as second.

Machine consists of cast aluminum pot, disc type heater (electric) bolted to
the bottom, an in-line thermostat about the size of a pack of chewing gum.
Manufacturer very helpful, we're on our third thermostat. No difference.

bad heater or connections? It's possible the element has a crack or
something like that.

Question: What would make a heating element (solid disc, about 5 in.
diameter) act intermittent. It is very similar to the heating coils on an
electric stove. I would think if it comes up to temperature once, it should
be alright. There are no moving parts within the heating element. It is
probably simply just a giant resistor.

There is stress on the element itself as it heats and cools off.