Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I know this is waaaay off topic but ...

I have an HP Pavilion 05 P9850A-ABA 513N 'puter with an ASUSTeK
P4G533LA REV 1.xx motherboard.

How do I find out how much memory it will take?

It currently has 1 256MB stick in it but I'm wondering if I can go up
to 2 x 512MG?

The HP website didn't seem to be much help and neither was the ASUSTeK
site.

You help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I use the "memory scanner" at crucial.com:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx
It tells you what you really have installed and what you can use. You
can order more memory from crucial in the UK or US.

wrote in message
I have an HP Pavilion 05 P9850A-ABA 513N 'puter with an ASUSTeK
P4G533LA REV 1.xx motherboard.

How do I find out how much memory it will take?

It currently has 1 256MB stick in it but I'm wondering if I can go up
to 2 x 512MG?

The HP website didn't seem to be much help and neither was the ASUSTeK
site.

You help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

*****

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 10, 12:24Â*pm, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In , on
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:09:47 -0800 (PST), ,

wrote:
I have an HP Pavilion 05 P9850A-ABA 513N 'puter with an ASUSTeK
P4G533LA REV 1.xx motherboard.

How do I find out how much memory it will take?

It currently has 1 256MB stick in it but I'm wondering if I can go up
to 2 x 512MG?

The HP website didn't seem to be much help and neither was the ASUSTeK
site.

Â* Websites often don't have the most up to date info.
They get put up, the component is upgraded, but the
site isn't.

You help will be appreciated.

Â* Since you're using Linux, I'd suggest dmidecode if
the MB is new enough to support it... pretty much
anything made in the last decade.

Â* Gives you TONS of info on your system including
max RAM module size, max RAM total, installed RAM
characteristics, etc.

Tiny snippet:

Memory Controller Information
Â* Â* Â* Â* Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
Â* Â* Â* Â* Error Correcting Capabilities:
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* None
Â* Â* Â* Â* Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
Â* Â* Â* Â* Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
Â* Â* Â* Â* Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB
Â* Â* Â* Â* Maximum Total Memory Size: 16384 MB

PS. Â*I didn't see your OP due to filters. Â*You get
a lot more exposure if you don't use goggle gr0pes to
post.

--
˜¯˜¯
Unlimited webspace - Unlimited bandwidthhttp://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?74713

Thanks, I don't know how you know that I have Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) but
you are correct.

However, the computer for which I want the memory is actually XP, as
that is what is required for my CAD program.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in
:

On Nov 10, 12:24Â*pm, Steve Ackman
wrote:
In
,

wrote:
[...]

Here's a portion of the "crucial" program's report as run under XP on an
Acer Aspire "Netbook":

Maximum Memory Capacity: 1536MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1GB
Available Memory Slots: -1
Total Memory Slots: 1
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz Model 12, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 1596 MHz

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of
Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize)
only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your
OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at
http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.aspx?qid=4251.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

Thanks, I don't know how you know that I have Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) but
you are correct.

Gecko/2009102814 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.15,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

Btw, are you running emc2?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
" wrote:

Thanks, I don't know how you know that I have Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) but
you are correct.

Gecko/2009102814 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.15,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

Btw, are you running emc2?

I am.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Btw, are you running emc2?

I am.

--Winston

Since we are a bit light on metal working threads lately. Would you care to mention what
you are controling with emc2 along with any challenges in getting the system working?

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Winston wrote:

Btw, are you running emc2?

I am.

--Winston

Since we are a bit light on metal working threads lately. Would you care to mention what
you are controling with emc2 along with any challenges in getting the system working?

You asked....

http://www.linuxcnc.org/

First, a shoutout to Ray Henry, the inventor of the original RTLinux BDI!
You are made of stout stuff, Ray. You have my admiration and respect.

I rigged up some (very underpowered) 300 oz. in. steppers via timing belts to a Jet
JVM-832 knee mill. Connected those to a Xylotex 3 axis motor controller.

http://www.xylotex.com/
http://www.xylotex.com/XS3525V202.pdf

The Xylotex motor controller is inexpensive, rugged and it does it's job properly.
(I have no business relationship to any of the companies or people mentioned.)

The biggest challenge was in locating a PC that was old enough to have a parallel port
and PATA drive, yet new enough to have sufficient processing headroom.

I checked many PCs using EMC2's Latency Test which is a program that determines the
length of time it takes to re-establish Real Time control after an OS event.
Most of the PCs failed miserably because they held off RTC Linux for far too long.

I eventually rigged up a little computer that had all the right characteristics.
Please see the linuxcnc.org site for hardware recommendations so you don't have
to waste your time as I did.

I hogged out several parts with the setup and was very pleased. I found that EMC2
would occasionally complain that it had a 'following error', always during
a rapid move. That appeared to be related to the fact that I had an improper bit
turned on in the BIOS. After turning off the useless Monitoring bit, I haven't
seen a 'following error' again.

I've discovered that most PCs manufactured recently are not suitable for
EMC2 use, because of lack of parallel ports, lack of support for SATA drives and
the super high priority SMI (System Management Interrupt).
This interrupt gets asserted every minute or so for important things like:

* Hardware Maintenance
Cooling fan speed adjustment
ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) control
Battery monitoring

* Rootkits and key loggers that are invisible to all debugging tools because
the vicious programs run during a time slice that is OS-free. I'm not kidding.

There is rumored to be an EMC2 workaround that clears the BIOS bit, which turns off
the SMI. Of course this can bake your CPU because the fan speed is under BIOS
control via the SMI; and that just went away. Oh Well, time to strap the CPU fan
permanently at max RPM via the SOLDER programming language.

Let me say that the latest edition of EMC2 is orders of magnitude easier to use
than were the earliest editions. They in turn were 'way easier to use than the
original distributions of Real Time Linux. Any UNIX command - line experience you
have will be *extremely* valuable in saving time using EMC2.

Having said that, I would not be surprised to learn that there are EMC2 users
with only very cursory knowledge of UNIX that get along just fine.

I'm sorry. What was the question?

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Since we are a bit light on metal working threads lately. Would you care to mention what
you are controling with emc2 along with any challenges in getting the system working?

You asked....

http://www.linuxcnc.org/

Can't hurt to plug the link.

First, a shoutout to Ray Henry, the inventor of the original RTLinux BDI!
You are made of stout stuff, Ray. You have my admiration and respect.

I rigged up some (very underpowered) 300 oz. in. steppers via timing belts to a Jet
JVM-832 knee mill. Connected those to a Xylotex 3 axis motor controller.

http://www.xylotex.com/
http://www.xylotex.com/XS3525V202.pdf

The Xylotex motor controller is inexpensive, rugged and it does it's job properly.
(I have no business relationship to any of the companies or people mentioned.)

The biggest challenge was in locating a PC that was old enough to have a parallel port
and PATA drive, yet new enough to have sufficient processing headroom.

Is SATA undesirable for a specific reason?

I checked many PCs using EMC2's Latency Test which is a program that determines the
length of time it takes to re-establish Real Time control after an OS event.
Most of the PCs failed miserably because they held off RTC Linux for far too long.

I eventually rigged up a little computer that had all the right characteristics.
Please see the linuxcnc.org site for hardware recommendations so you don't have
to waste your time as I did.

I was planning to shop goodwill for a suitable box OR buy a new one and recycle one of my
boxen.

[...]

I just learned something I didn't know.

There is rumored to be an EMC2 workaround that clears the BIOS bit, which turns off
the SMI. Of course this can bake your CPU because the fan speed is under BIOS
control via the SMI; and that just went away. Oh Well, time to strap the CPU fan
permanently at max RPM via the SOLDER programming language.

Let me say that the latest edition of EMC2 is orders of magnitude easier to use
than were the earliest editions. They in turn were 'way easier to use than the
original distributions of Real Time Linux. Any UNIX command - line experience you
have will be *extremely* valuable in saving time using EMC2.

I've been keeping an eye on EMC for over a decade. Back then I was impressed to see linux
used that way but had little experience around cnc equipment other than a waterjet system
I programmed in the late 80's.

My command line skills sometimes resemble an old man with a walker but I eventually get
there.

Having said that, I would not be surprised to learn that there are EMC2 users
with only very cursory knowledge of UNIX that get along just fine.

I'm sorry. What was the question?

You answered it just fine Winston.

Thanks,

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Winston wrote:

(...)

Is SATA undesirable for a specific reason?

I always got an irreconcilable error when trying to install to SATA.
I hear that others have tried it with varying degrees of success.
(Something about not having an appropriate SATA driver in the distro?)

I'm an incomplete noob about this stuff, so it doesn't take much to
stop me. OTOH I got over 3^6 hits just now with the phrase 'Ubuntu SATA',
So others appear to have some difficulty too.

I checked many PCs using EMC2's Latency Test which is a program that determines the
length of time it takes to re-establish Real Time control after an OS event.

Make that 'Interrupt event' instead of 'OS event'.

Most of the PCs failed miserably because they held off RTC Linux for far too long.

I eventually rigged up a little computer that had all the right characteristics.
Please see the linuxcnc.org site for hardware recommendations so you don't have
to waste your time as I did.

I was planning to shop goodwill for a suitable box OR buy a new one and recycle one of my
boxen.

You can run from the CD first to check latency and compatibility without
overwriting your existing disk image. Sometimes I just replace the disk and
write linuxcnc on to a spare drive.

(...)

* Hardware Maintenance
Cooling fan speed adjustment
ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) control
Battery monitoring

* Rootkits and key loggers that are invisible to all debugging tools because
the vicious programs run during a time slice that is OS-free. I'm not kidding.

I just learned something I didn't know.

'1984' was overdue, but it's been here for years.

There is rumored to be an EMC2 workaround that clears the BIOS bit, which turns off
the SMI. Of course this can bake your CPU because the fan speed is under BIOS
control via the SMI; and that just went away. Oh Well, time to strap the CPU fan
permanently at max RPM via the SOLDER programming language.

Yeah, use the 'Bridge' command, without arguments.

Let me say that the latest edition of EMC2 is orders of magnitude easier to use
than were the earliest editions. They in turn were 'way easier to use than the
original distributions of Real Time Linux. Any UNIX command - line experience you
have will be *extremely* valuable in saving time using EMC2.

I've been keeping an eye on EMC for over a decade. Back then I was impressed to see linux
used that way but had little experience around cnc equipment other than a waterjet system
I programmed in the late 80's.

Linux CNC is addictive Big Fun!

My command line skills sometimes resemble an old man with a walker but I eventually get
there.

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers know what to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up in the
'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was weird.)

Having said that, I would not be surprised to learn that there are EMC2 users
with only very cursory knowledge of UNIX that get along just fine.

I'm sorry. What was the question?

You answered it just fine Winston.

I'd be happy to send you a tested boot CD, burned with the latest ISO, Wes.
("The First One's Free" he rasped..)

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:58:52 -0500, Wes wrote:

Winston wrote:

[...]

Rootkit protection is out there for free. I have one running all the
time.

[...]

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers know what to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up in the
'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Of course, Ed will claim it's impossible, or that I mean something
else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers know what
to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was
curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up in the
'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Of course, Ed will claim it's impossible, or that I mean something
else.

Not at all, Michael. I suspect you're answering the phone most of the day,
in fact...but that no one is ever on the other end.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers
know what to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was
curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up
in the 'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was
weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Of course, Ed will claim it's impossible, or that I mean something
else.

Not at all, Michael. I suspect you're answering the phone most of the
day, in fact...but that no one is ever on the other end.

That's probably what freaks people out - him having long conversations with
a dial tone.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers
know what to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was
curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up
in the 'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was
weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Of course, Ed will claim it's impossible, or that I mean something
else.

Not at all, Michael. I suspect you're answering the phone most of the
day, in fact...but that no one is ever on the other end.

That's probably what freaks people out - him having long conversations with
a dial tone.

Or Glen Campbell
"I hear you singin' in the wire, I can hear you through the whine"

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:26:59 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers know what to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up in the
'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Ive known some other folks who had that knack. Does anything else
manifest now and then?

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers know what to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up in the
'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Ive known some other folks who had that knack. Does anything else
manifest now and then?

It was an old Strowger rotary exchange that could take several
seconds to connect to the ring generator. You could hear a click when
the exchange started to connect to the ring generator, so you could pick
it up before it rang. I knew Ed would have no clue as to how the phone
exchange worked, and it sucked in John 'Know it all' Carrol as well.

It was handy in the shop. It gave you time to stop what you were
doing and head for the nearest phone. A lot of people would hang up &
call back, thinking something was wrong with the line which was a common
problem with that 50 + year old 1920's hardware. ;-)

Now, let's see if they can figure out how I did it!

The knack I had was to tell off failing electronics, and give a
gentle rap on the relay rack. Then everything would start working.
It used to freak out my boss in the CATV business. He would walk into
the headend, and equipment would stop working. i would walk in and
either it started working, or I'd say 'I don't have time for this crap
right now' and pick the spot to tap. One day it was an entire rack of
C-band sat equipment. Alarm after alarm went off, and more were going
off as I ran into the room to find 'Ernie' standing there with a diddle
stick. One tap, and all the alarms quit, and everything cam back on
line. I told him to stay out of the headend from then on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers
know what to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was
curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up
in the 'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was
weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Of course, Ed will claim it's impossible, or that I mean something
else.

Not at all, Michael. I suspect you're answering the phone most of the
day, in fact...but that no one is ever on the other end.

That's probably what freaks people out - him having long conversations with
a dial tone.

Projecting again? How utterly sad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

We're *all* learning. You'll eventually find that your fingers know what
to do
even though *you* may not be entirely sure. Couple days ago, I was
curious about
the contents of a ".ini" configuration file. My fingers had it up in the
'vi' editor before I had time to think. (OK, *That* was weird.)

I used to be able to answer the phone before it rang. It really
freaked out some people!

Of course, Ed will claim it's impossible, or that I mean something
else.

Not at all, Michael. I suspect you're answering the phone most of the day,
in fact...but that no one is ever on the other end.

That would only happen to me if you called.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:58:52 -0500, Wes wrote:

Winston wrote:

(...)

* Rootkits and key loggers that are invisible to all debugging tools because
the vicious programs run during a time slice that is OS-free. I'm not kidding.

I just learned something I didn't know.

Rootkit protection is out there for free. I have one running all the
time.

Except that every minute or so, your machine gets a System Management Interrupt.
During that time, your Rootkit protection program is blissfully asleep and
does not wake up until long after your keystrokes (passwords, CC info etc)
have been sent to all the addresses deemed necessary. When the Rootkit
protection program does eventually wake up, it is completely unaware that anything
had ever happened, because the rootkit only 'exists' in the SMI timeslice.

http://www.eecs.ucf.edu/~czou/resear...ecurecom08.pdf

It's like Science Fiction, where parallel universes exist at the same time.
In this case, only one universe is aware of the other.
We're in the Other universe.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.

fa - for those of you with big lathes - my last pile of waaaay to huge tooling William Noble Metalworking 0 November 5th 07 06:02 AM
Waaaay OT - Thunder Mug J T Woodworking 5 September 13th 06 04:19 AM
Getting parts waaaay off from what you thought you ordered Adam Preble Electronics Repair 0 January 28th 06 12:14 AM
Waaaay OT - I need J T Woodworking 28 April 14th 05 01:27 AM
new topic, off topic, about new topics [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 27th 05 02:05 PM