Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default I know this is waaaay off topic but ...

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:58:52 -0500, Wes wrote:

Winston wrote:

(...)

* Rootkits and key loggers that are invisible to all debugging tools because
the vicious programs run during a time slice that is OS-free. I'm not kidding.

I just learned something I didn't know.

Rootkit protection is out there for free. I have one running all the
time.

Except that every minute or so, your machine gets a System Management Interrupt.
During that time, your Rootkit protection program is blissfully asleep and
does not wake up until long after your keystrokes (passwords, CC info etc)
have been sent to all the addresses deemed necessary. When the Rootkit
protection program does eventually wake up, it is completely unaware that anything
had ever happened, because the rootkit only 'exists' in the SMI timeslice.

http://www.eecs.ucf.edu/~czou/resear...ecurecom08.pdf

It's like Science Fiction, where parallel universes exist at the same time.
In this case, only one universe is aware of the other.
We're in the Other universe.

--Winston

--

On YouTube, all the tools have volume controls.