Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Camillus knife

Picked up an interesting knife yesterday for a buck. All metal. Has
Camillus 1960 on the base of the big blade. US on one side, with a stamped
metal pattern. Screwdriver, blade, leather awl, bottle opener and can
opener. Lanyard loop.

Something about it appealed to me. It's in great shape, and ones from that
year are selling on ebay for about $20. I put it in my trophy case next to
some other military knives. It would make a great pocket knife, but I think
I'll keep it in the case. Guess they were used a lot in Nam. Anyone have
experiences with these?

ebay "camillus folding military knife"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 8:44*am, "SteveB" wrote:
Picked up an interesting knife yesterday for a buck. *All metal. *Has
Camillus 1960 on the base of the big blade. *US on one side, with a stamped
metal pattern. *Screwdriver, blade, leather awl, bottle opener and can
opener. *Lanyard loop.

Something about it appealed to me. *It's in great shape, and ones from that
year are selling on ebay for about $20. *I put it in my trophy case next to
some other military knives. *It would make a great pocket knife, but I think
I'll keep it in the case. *Guess they were used a lot in Nam. *Anyone have
experiences with these?

ebay "camillus folding military knife"

You have to be careful with those, there ARE some counterfeit chink
ones floating around, not saying that's what you've got, though. I
can remember them in the surplus/outdoor catalogs back in the '60s for
$5 or less, usually the "Navy" type with a marlin spike on it for rope
work. For a buck, if it still cuts, you got a deal. Don't think they
were official issue but were PX and base exchange items.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:44:12 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Picked up an interesting knife yesterday for a buck. All metal. Has
Camillus 1960 on the base of the big blade. US on one side, with a stamped
metal pattern. Screwdriver, blade, leather awl, bottle opener and can
opener. Lanyard loop.

Something about it appealed to me. It's in great shape, and ones from that
year are selling on ebay for about $20. I put it in my trophy case next to
some other military knives. It would make a great pocket knife, but I think
I'll keep it in the case. Guess they were used a lot in Nam. Anyone have
experiences with these?

ebay "camillus folding military knife"

I don't know whether the military ever issued these knives but they
were quite common some years back. Had one in fact. I don't remember
why I got rid of it, or whether I lost it, but looking at the picture
I had a vague recollection that it was not one of my favorite pocket
knives.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Picked up an interesting knife yesterday for a buck. All metal. Has
Camillus 1960 on the base of the big blade. US on one side, with a stamped
metal pattern. Screwdriver, blade, leather awl, bottle opener and can
opener. Lanyard loop.

Something about it appealed to me. It's in great shape, and ones from that
year are selling on ebay for about $20. I put it in my trophy case next to
some other military knives. It would make a great pocket knife, but I think
I'll keep it in the case. Guess they were used a lot in Nam. Anyone have
experiences with these?

ebay "camillus folding military knife"

I have a Nam era non folding Camillus knife ,it has a leather pouch with
a small sharpening stone on it .
The blade has "blood Grooves " each side and a saw on the back edge .
The saw will cut metal as I have done it .
It's has two small holes in the guard and a hexagon shaped knob on the
end of the leather bound handle. Looks like it may have even been a
bayonet for some type of rifle .
On the blade near the guard it has Camillus N.Y. stampedon .

My Uncle brought it back from Nam late 60's , was swapped with a US
soldier for some other item .
He gave it to me and I still have it .
Not sure if it was military issue or not.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:59:43 +0930, "Kevin(Bluey)"
wrote:

SteveB wrote:
[...]

It's an aviation survival knife, issued to aircrew of all services at
the time.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Bob ,thanks for the info ,wasnt real sure .I do recall my Uncle saying
something about it regarding aircrew.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:44:12 -0700, the infamous "SteveB"
scrawled the following:

Picked up an interesting knife yesterday for a buck. All metal. Has
Camillus 1960 on the base of the big blade. US on one side, with a stamped
metal pattern. Screwdriver, blade, leather awl, bottle opener and can
opener. Lanyard loop.

Something about it appealed to me. It's in great shape, and ones from that
year are selling on ebay for about $20. I put it in my trophy case next to
some other military knives. It would make a great pocket knife, but I think
I'll keep it in the case. Guess they were used a lot in Nam. Anyone have
experiences with these?

ebay "camillus folding military knife"

I've seen and played with them, and I think whittled with one, but I
never owned one. A buck is a good price.

My hiking knife is this: http://fwd4.me/2tq I think I gave $9, dlvd.
I keep it in case I get stranded on a yacht sometime.

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:06:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:44*am, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Rangers were "issued" this knife as were Green Beanies. Shrug..its a
decent enough folder. Not great, not bad.

Camillus made a ****load of different knives for the military. Most were
plain jane, but worked well enough.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Rangers were "issued" this knife as were Green Beanies. Shrug..its a
decent enough folder. Not great, not bad.

Camillus made a ****load of different knives for the military. Most were
plain jane, but worked well enough.

Gunner

I like knives, and this one caught my eye. It's going in my kit on my ATV.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 13:42:28 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Rangers were "issued" this knife as were Green Beanies. Shrug..its a
decent enough folder. Not great, not bad.

Camillus made a ****load of different knives for the military. Most were
plain jane, but worked well enough.

Gunner

I like knives, and this one caught my eye. It's going in my kit on my ATV.

Steve

Add a Leatherman or Gerber multitool and you will be good to go.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 13:42:28 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote

Rangers were "issued" this knife as were Green Beanies. Shrug..its a
decent enough folder. Not great, not bad.

Camillus made a ****load of different knives for the military. Most were
plain jane, but worked well enough.

Gunner

I like knives, and this one caught my eye. It's going in my kit on my
ATV.

Steve

Add a Leatherman or Gerber multitool and you will be good to go.

Gunner

Actually, I have an off brand one that comes in a snakeskin belt holder.
Seems like good metal, as it hasn't bent or broken anything yet. I like it
much better because it comes with those bits for different screws. I never
saw a Leatherman that had a straight screwdriver tip or a Phillips head that
wasn't trashed. This one, the bits pop in and out. I have given some to
friends, and they all love them. I did manage to save two for myself.

Steve

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 20:11:59 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I very much prefer the Gerbers...shrug..but I had to toss in the
Leatherman wank for those that swear by them....G

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:38:03 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 20:11:59 -0700, "SteveB" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If you insist on having multi use tools, I would go with a good pocket
knife, a good pair of channel locks and a BFH
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16-14SFG Special Forces Folding Veff Serrated Blade Knife [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 11:21 AM
Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design Owen Lawrence Woodworking 12 July 29th 06 07:34 PM
Another knife Tim Williams Metalworking 1 October 5th 05 03:52 PM
knife box Par Woodworking 10 September 26th 05 07:25 AM
New knife Tim Williams Metalworking 6 June 24th 05 03:39 AM