Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clearance on shear blades?

We have an old 8 ft shear. Bersch is name on nameplate and when i last
tried to find any info i found nothing. I'm wondering about setting
the clearance for the blade. Its worked fine in the 3 years i've
worked here but we almost always only shear steel of 10ga and thicker.
I've cut a sheet of 1/4 and 8ft long with no trouble.
Now the boss is talking about shearing some sheets of 25 guage and
he's concerned it is too thin. I checked and found clearance to be
mostly around .004 and at far end it was down to .002. I've been told
some shears are not setup with equar clearance. So i'm wondering if
anyone has any general rules about shear blade clearance. I thought i
would hold off trying to get everything close to .002 till i saw if
anyone with some actual knowledge had any advice.
Rosco
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Butter writes:

I thought i
would hold off trying to get everything close to .002 till i saw if
anyone with some actual knowledge had any advice.

You must have a proper clearance for effective cutting. Too much or too
little is bad. Rule of thumb is 5 to 8 percent of material thickness. Your
0.002" figure will thus cover about 0.020" to 0.050", which is a useful
range for typical work. Adjust the tool to keep this all across the blade
width, not just at the ends, but especially at the starting end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 22, 10:16*pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Butter writes:
I thought i
would hold off trying to get everything close to .002 till i saw if
anyone with some actual knowledge had any advice.

You must have a proper clearance for effective cutting. *Too much or too
little is bad. Rule of thumb is 5 to 8 percent of material thickness. *Your
0.002" figure will thus cover about 0.020" to 0.050", which is a useful
range for typical work. *Adjust the tool to keep this all across the blade
width, not just at the ends, but especially at the starting end.

You got me thinking. Why would the clearance be any different than
on a die? If this is the case we've had too little clearance since it
was set years ago.
We do not use this shear very much and its only because the boss can't
find anyone to buy it that its still here. Since after this upcoming
job for this thin guage mateiaiwe'll be using it for the thinker steel
i guess i need to then increase the clearance to acomodate this.
Rosco
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Butter wrote:

We have an old 8 ft shear. Bersch is name on nameplate and when i last
tried to find any info i found nothing. I'm wondering about setting
the clearance for the blade. Its worked fine in the 3 years i've
worked here but we almost always only shear steel of 10ga and thicker.
I've cut a sheet of 1/4 and 8ft long with no trouble.
Now the boss is talking about shearing some sheets of 25 guage and
he's concerned it is too thin. I checked and found clearance to be
mostly around .004 and at far end it was down to .002. I've been told
some shears are not setup with equar clearance. So i'm wondering if
anyone has any general rules about shear blade clearance. I thought i
would hold off trying to get everything close to .002 till i saw if
anyone with some actual knowledge had any advice.
Rosco

http://www.tskgrinding.com/shear-bla...clearances.asp

HTH,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks- This is exactly what i've needed
Rosco

http://www.tskgrinding.com/shear-bla...clearances.asp

HTH,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Butter wrote:

http://www.tskgrinding.com/shear-bla...clearances.asp

HTH,

Wes

Thanks- This is exactly what i've needed
Rosco

Glad to have helped on a real on topic question.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tell me clearance in mm & for tickness of the material in mm also. Please.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-04, wrote:

Tell me clearance in mm & for tickness of the material in mm also. Please.

I presume that you have the shear with instructions which
include clearances in thousandths of an inch, and thickness (not
"tickness" as you asked) in either also thousandths of an inch, or as a
gauge.

To convert thousandths of an inch to mm, you simply multiply by
25.4.

As for converting the gauge to a metric value, you will need a
look-up chart. The only one which I happen to know directly (and which
is a common maximum thickness of steel for hand operated shears) is 16
ga, which (mostly by accident) is very close to 1/16" of an inch, or
0.063" or 1.58 mm Larger gauges are thinner, so the match can only occur
at one point.

The clearance values are likely somewhat different depending on
the brand and model of shear -- and how strong it is.

The only mention for the DiAcro #12 and #24 shears is that the
clearance is defined by the thickness of the blade, and if you grind it
thinner, you will need to add shim stock to restore the thickness.

For the DiAcro #36 hand shear it says:

Blade clearance may be varied but for longer
blade life, a few thousandths clearance should be
maintained. Blades should not be in actual con-
tact with each other. Best results may generally
be obtained with .002" clearance on the ends
and .001" clearance at the center.

And -- from the calculation above, 0.001" is 0.0254 mm, and
0.002" is 0.0508mm. And elsewhere, they mention that this setting should
work from the thinnest metals to 16 ga (from above, about 1.5mm)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

To convert thousandths of an inch to mm, you simply multiply by
25.4.

REALLY, Don?

First, you jab the guy for a simple typographical error, then you give an
incorrect conversion to answer to his question?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in . 3.70:

First, you jab the guy for a simple typographical error, then you give
an incorrect conversion to answer to his question?

PS... you did the math right yourself, you just gave him the wrong
conversion formula.

LS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 05-May-14 7:24 PM, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in . 3.70:

First, you jab the guy for a simple typographical error, then you give
an incorrect conversion to answer to his question?

PS... you did the math right yourself, you just gave him the wrong
conversion formula.

LS

Huh? Works for me.

0.040 x 25.4 = 1.016mm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Kennedy fired this volley in
. au:

Huh? Works for me.

0.040 x 25.4 = 1.016mm

You didn't read his formula.

He said, "To convert THOUSANDTHS of an inch to millimeters, multiply by
25.4".

Nosir! To convert INCHES to millimeters, multiply by 25.4. To convert
thousandths of an inch to thousandths of millimeters, multiply by 25.4.

To convert thousandths of an inch to millimeters, multiply by 0.0254.

0.040" is not thousanths, it's inches. "40" would be 'thousandths'.

It matters.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in . 3.70:

First, you jab the guy for a simple typographical error, then you give
an incorrect conversion to answer to his question?

PS... you did the math right yourself, you just gave him the wrong
conversion formula.

Thanks for catching that. I wonder how asleep I was at that
point.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-05-05, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

To convert thousandths of an inch to mm, you simply multiply by
25.4.

REALLY, Don?

First, you jab the guy for a simple typographical error, then you give an
incorrect conversion to answer to his question?

O.K. Multiply the dimension in inches by 25.4. In the case of
thousandths of an inch, I automatically use the decimal form (0.001" not
1").

As for the typo -- I wanted to make sure that he was really
talking about a shear. At leat I know one meaning for shar (and it does
not need clearances in any units. :-) But there may be other meanings
too. I usually ignore typos if I understand what was meant, unless they
could shift the meaning of the question.

Thanks for catching it,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Why does my snow blower not shear the shear bolts? [email protected] Home Repair 22 January 1st 09 08:28 AM
Which Circle Shear? Too_Many_Tools Woodturning 5 July 6th 06 04:26 AM
24" shear [email protected] Metalworking 7 August 13th 05 02:25 AM
Shear? Gears Metalworking 1 February 11th 04 06:35 PM
FS: Roper Whitney Kick Punch, Circle Shear, Libert Shear Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 August 17th 03 12:56 PM