Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why does my snow blower not shear the shear bolts?

If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? It's
a fairly new snow blower. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 8:03*pm, wrote:
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. *Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. *Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? *It's
a fairly new snow blower. *Thanks.

wow interesting

I'll bet if you ran over a rock instead of a newspaper, the shear
bolts would shear becasue its an impact, the newspaper is too soft and
absorbs too much of the impact...

Just like an impact wrench can exert 300 ft lbs yet you can hold it
easily.

So maybe you can take the new shear bolts and cut a notch in them to
weaken them before you install them.. so when they try to bend they
will break...

Or loosen the belt more so it slips easier when the blade jams and you
can shut the engine off before it burns the belt

Or tighten the belt so the jam stalls the engine

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
newspaper hidden in the snow .

Why don't you pick up the paper?

--

Astute reading skills "choc".

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Dec 30, 10:14*pm, Van Chocstraw
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. *Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. *Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? *It's
a fairly new snow blower. *Thanks.

Why don't you pick up the paper?

--
//--------------------\\
* * * * Van Chocstraw

for the same reason i ran over a brick with my snowblower last week,
then followed that up by running over the garden hose a minute later,
even though i had a general idea where both were under the snow, and
even though i really didn't need to clear that close to the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Dec 30, 11:24*pm, mm wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:24:17 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Van Chocstraw wrote in news:j6idnUeDa7k-
:

wrote:
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. *Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. *Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? *It's
a fairly new snow blower. *Thanks.

Why don't you pick up the paper?

Well, if he posted "Today I picked up the newspaper.", that wouldn't
generate too much chatter here would it?

Besides, he said it was hidden in the snow.

Perhaps a better Q is why doesn't the delivery service put it in the
newspaper box on the post?

We don't need no stinkin' posts.

ACtually you have a point. It might be too much to ask for the paper
to be in the box every day, but maybe when it's snowing the guy would
do it for the OP.

Sort of similar, I constantly tried to get the UPS etc. guys to leave
a note if they also left my package, so if a package were stolen I'd
know it came. *But once I got one guy to do it, he was transferred.
So I started getting packages sent to a friend's business.

This year the news broadcast video of people stealing packages off of
their porches.- Hide quoted text -

or leave a note if they leave the package with a neighbor. i had
somebody send me a smoked turkey for xmas one year. ups left it with a
neighbor. the neighbor didn't bump into me to tell me about the
mystery package until february. his dog had been chewing on it in the
meantime, no less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 7:03*pm, wrote:
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. *Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. *Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? *It's
a fairly new snow blower. *Thanks.

Try using brass bolts...although I have not experimented with this
suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 7:03*pm, wrote:
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. *Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. *Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? *It's
a fairly new snow blower. *Thanks.

If you think there might be a paper under snow you should not let that
happen and set the hight high. I would not run any machine where I
thought I might hit something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I tend to agree with the other posters, either the paper is taking up too
much of the impact or they are not shear pins but bolts which are not
desinged to break when too much stress is applied.

When you ran over the brick, did the same thing occur? If so I doubt a
brick will absorb much of an impact so then the sheer pins are really bolts.
--

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 11:08*am, "John" wrote:
I tend to agree with the other posters, either the paper is taking up too
much of the impact or they are not shear pins but bolts which are not
desinged to break when too much stress is applied.

When you ran over the brick, did the same thing occur? *If so I doubt a
brick will absorb much of an impact so then the sheer pins are really bolts.
--

John

lol
the guy that ran over the brick is not the op.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"John" wrote in message
m...
I tend to agree with the other posters, either the paper is taking up too
much of the impact or they are not shear pins but bolts which are not
desinged to break when too much stress is applied.

When you ran over the brick, did the same thing occur? If so I doubt a
brick will absorb much of an impact so then the sheer pins are really
bolts.
--

John

Ran over a dog chain with the blower a few years ago and the shear pin on
one side broke. Hit a newspaper last year and the machine locked up and the
engine killed. Shear pin(s) stayed intact. No damage to the engine either
time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I can't even get them to have the decency to ring the doorbell when they drop a
package. I am usually there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. *Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. *Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? *It's
a fairly new snow blower. *Thanks.

Why don't you pick up the paper?

Well, if he posted "Today I picked up the newspaper.", that wouldn't
generate too much chatter here would it?

Besides, he said it was hidden in the snow.

Perhaps a better Q is why doesn't the delivery service put it in the
newspaper box on the post?

That's the deal we have. He drives by throwing them out of the car
window.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 10:46*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:03:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:
If I run over the newspaper hidden in the snow the shear bolts bend
but do not shear - then my belt burns and rips apart which is a major
hassle to change. *Yes, I have quadruple checked that I have the
original Ariens shear bolt part. *Is this a problem that the belt is
slipping and not able to give enough pressure to cut the bolts? *It's
a fairly new snow blower. *Thanks.

Likely has bolts instead of shear pins. They are NOT the same.

Also important to keep the shaft/auger interface lubricated so the pin
CAN shear.

I don't think I ever said they were pins??? They are bolts (as I
said) with two notches cut and a lock nut on the end. I do keep the
auger shaft lubricated with like a Mobil 1 brand grease tube (used in
a grease gun.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:17:25 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Sort of similar, I constantly tried to get the UPS etc. guys to leave
a note if they also left my package, so if a package were stolen I'd
know it came. But once I got one guy to do it, he was transferred.
So I started getting packages sent to a friend's business.

I can't even get them to have the decency to ring the doorbell when they drop a
package. I am usually there.

Yes, another problem. Also with the mailman, who occasoinsally leaves
slips about certified mail. I'm usually here and he know is but I
thin he just doesn't bring any cerified mail with him at all since
most people aren't home.

shear cutting [email protected] Woodturning 1 March 7th 07 03:48 PM
24" shear [email protected] Metalworking 7 August 13th 05 02:25 AM
Where can I buy shear bolts this weekend? Harry Ziman UK diy 3 May 30th 04 01:22 PM
Shear? Gears Metalworking 1 February 11th 04 06:35 PM
FS: Roper Whitney Kick Punch, Circle Shear, Libert Shear Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 August 17th 03 12:56 PM