Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Clearance on shear blades?

Butter wrote:

We have an old 8 ft shear. Bersch is name on nameplate and when i last
tried to find any info i found nothing. I'm wondering about setting
the clearance for the blade. Its worked fine in the 3 years i've
worked here but we almost always only shear steel of 10ga and thicker.
I've cut a sheet of 1/4 and 8ft long with no trouble.
Now the boss is talking about shearing some sheets of 25 guage and
he's concerned it is too thin. I checked and found clearance to be
mostly around .004 and at far end it was down to .002. I've been told
some shears are not setup with equar clearance. So i'm wondering if
anyone has any general rules about shear blade clearance. I thought i
would hold off trying to get everything close to .002 till i saw if
anyone with some actual knowledge had any advice.
Rosco

http://www.tskgrinding.com/shear-bla...clearances.asp

HTH,

Wes