Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Speed Bump

There is a double dip by my Vegas house. If you go into the first one too
fast, the next one is deeper, and the following hump is higher. There were
serious gouges in the second where people's frames and oil pans had grooved
the concrete. We had two people crash there after launch, one taking out a
fire hydrant and block wall, the other taking out a street light. I heard
one hellacious bang one day, a car launching from one into the depths of the
other, then being thrown into the air on the subsequent hump. I looked over
the fence in time to see a police cruiser that was the offender. The bump
is one block from their station house, so figured he musta been new. He had
to have one helluva jolt there, and must have smacked his head on the car's
ceiling. A week later a second one did it again.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:56:56 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

There is a double dip by my Vegas house. If you go into the first one too
fast, the next one is deeper, and the following hump is higher. There were
serious gouges in the second where people's frames and oil pans had grooved
the concrete. We had two people crash there after launch, one taking out a
fire hydrant and block wall, the other taking out a street light. I heard
one hellacious bang one day, a car launching from one into the depths of the
other, then being thrown into the air on the subsequent hump. I looked over
the fence in time to see a police cruiser that was the offender. The bump
is one block from their station house, so figured he musta been new. He had
to have one helluva jolt there, and must have smacked his head on the car's
ceiling. A week later a second one did it again.

Steve

One of the local merchants had their parking area re paved with mega
speed bumps. After a couple weeks they developed flat tops when they
were milled down to half height. I guess they got tired of having
modified junk piles removed when they got hung up.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote

One of the local merchants had their parking area re paved with mega
speed bumps. After a couple weeks they developed flat tops when they
were milled down to half height. I guess they got tired of having
modified junk piles removed when they got hung up.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

A local anal cranky old fart wanted for the city to put in speed bumps in
front of his house. He has owned this property forever, and about ten years
ago, they extended the road to a new park and ballfield complex. So, now,
he has a lot of people going past his house, all going too fast for his
taste, and some really speeding.

He petitioned the city to put speed bumps. They asked for citizen input. I
researched it, and notified the city of the findings:

Speed humps (that's what they're called) may not be placed on any street
that is the prime route for emergency vehicles in or out of a neighborhood
or venue like the park/ball field.
Speed humps cannot be placed on a road that has more of a grade than 7%.
Speed humps cannot be placed on a road or street that has higher than a
certain speed limit.
Speed humps cannot be placed on a street where curvature or undulation would
cause a hazard.
If a jurisdiction installs speed humps on a street or road that receives
federal funding, the funding may be denied in the future.
If a jurisdiction installs speed humps on a street, then any citizen has the
right to require that the same speed bumps be placed on their street.
A state traffic study of at least six months must be carried out to justify
the number of vehicles that use the road. This cost must be borne by the
city.

This fellow, we call him Mr. McGillicuddy, had even altered the street signs
to lower the speed limit, and on event nights, he would place those A-framed
sandwich boards on a public street telling people to slow down. That
backfired when a van went away from the edge of the road to give some
pedestrians some leeway, and ran over the sign, doing front end and tire
damage, which he had to pay for.

The pedestrians filed a complaint with the city saying that they must now
must do a survey to widen the street, install curb and gutters, and put in
an ADA compliant sidewalk on both sides of the street, about half a mile.

Needless to say, Mr. McGillicuddy has removed his signage, and has been
quiet for a long time now.

But on private property, just about anything goes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Gerald Miller" wrote

[...]

We call 'em "Drunk-Bumps" here.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Buerste" wrote

We call 'em "Drunk-Bumps" here.

I used to work at The Las Vegas Hilton. They had sets of two speed bumps
that were about five feet wide and six inches tall and about fifteen feet
apart. Very tapered, though. But they had them placed, probably on purpose
so that if one went over the first one, the front end went up, then the back
wheels hit, it caused the car to come down nose first right at the point
where the second speed bump was. BAM. This was absolutely disabling to any
car that was really flying, and I saw literally hundreds of vehicles towed
out of there in a five year span, broken tie rods, collapsed A frames,
leaking all manner of fluids, Made a hell of a racket, too. Cabbies were
the worst, and I've seen luggage and clothes strewn like a plane crash.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:34:57 -0400, "Buerste" wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Gerald Miller" wrote

[...]

"dead bobbies" in Limeyland.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:47:54 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Buerste" wrote

We call 'em "Drunk-Bumps" here.

I used to work at The Las Vegas Hilton. They had sets of two speed bumps
that were about five feet wide and six inches tall and about fifteen feet
apart. Very tapered, though. But they had them placed, probably on purpose
so that if one went over the first one, the front end went up, then the back
wheels hit, it caused the car to come down nose first right at the point
where the second speed bump was. BAM. This was absolutely disabling to any
car that was really flying, and I saw literally hundreds of vehicles towed
out of there in a five year span, broken tie rods, collapsed A frames,
leaking all manner of fluids, Made a hell of a racket, too. Cabbies were
the worst, and I've seen luggage and clothes strewn like a plane crash.

Steve

And at the posted "crawl" cars just float over them without any damage
or excitement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote

And at the posted "crawl" cars just float over them without any damage
or excitement.

One would assume that the posted speed limits are there for a reason

capping chimneys (bump) mary UK diy 12 April 6th 09 09:02 PM
cheap bump proof locks? peter Home Repair 3 July 14th 07 01:48 AM
Carpet has a wave bump now? [email protected] Home Repair 13 July 1st 07 04:29 PM
bump n go robot help? trigon Electronics Repair 6 May 12th 06 05:20 AM
Bump-Feed On Weed Wacker Questions Robert11 Home Repair 11 July 7th 05 08:14 AM