Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Quicky Belt Change

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

"Thanks Kelso, Rest In Peace."

Is it just me or does that line raise a question for you, too.

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

"Thanks Kelso, Rest In Peace."

Is it just me or does that line raise a question for you, too.

--Winston

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder about properly adjusting the
belt tension after the belt was changed?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Very same engine, 46 years ago, three fingers went around the top pulley,
with belt on. Working at a gas station at the time, fiddling with the
carburetor and not being careful. Right ring finger, second joint took the
brunt of the ordeal. Got away with it for decades, until 30 years later it
got arthritic. Now joint is about 20° out of alignment and does not match
the spacing of the piano keys. My other passion.

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jeff_wisnia wrote:

(...)

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder about properly adjusting the
belt tension after the belt was changed?

Well yeah, but my first question was about the probable cause of
Kelso's passing. Sounds like it might have been a spectacular
mishap involving a rubber band.

My second concern was the damage incurred on the vee belt and generator
by the stress of popping the belt on the pulleys like that.

To quote Adam:
"That is just wrongity - wrong - wrong".

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:36:12 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Winston wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

"Thanks Kelso, Rest In Peace."

Is it just me or does that line raise a question for you, too.

--Winston

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder about properly adjusting the
belt tension after the belt was changed?

Jeff

You didn't adjust belt tension after the belt was changed. Belt
tension was governed by shims in the two-piece generator pulley.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Winston wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
hoiceonecommunications...

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

"Thanks Kelso, Rest In Peace."

Is it just me or does that line raise a question for you, too.

--Winston

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder about properly adjusting the
belt tension after the belt was changed?

Jeff

You didn't adjust belt tension after the belt was changed. Belt
tension was governed by shims in the two-piece generator pulley.

I'll try and remember that info, never having owned a Bug.

But, was it usual to not have to reset the number of shims in that pully
when replacing a well used belt with a new one?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I prefer the Greyhound bus scheme I saw. The triple belts are tensioned
by an air cylinder with regulator pushing on the BIG alternator.

Shut off engine. Close air valve. Alternator slacks off, pull it
further. Pop off old belts if not gone. Install new set on pulleys and
crack valve, alternator seats them. Open valve, start bus.

About 2-3 minutes, maybe 5 to walk to front of bus and remove key, then
replace after.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:36:12 -0400, the infamous jeff_wisnia
scrawled the following:

Winston wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

"Thanks Kelso, Rest In Peace."

Is it just me or does that line raise a question for you, too.

--Winston

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder about properly adjusting the
belt tension after the belt was changed?

Ayup, I did, immediately.

But...it's only a VubDubya.

Hell. I've seen the heads bouncing an inch off the barrels as they pop
down the street, both blown-out mufflers screeching loud enough to
drown out a Harpy in heat. Effin' things. I always did hate them.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Very same engine, 46 years ago, three fingers went around the top pulley,
with belt on. Working at a gas station at the time, fiddling with the
carburetor and not being careful. Right ring finger, second joint took
the brunt of the ordeal. Got away with it for decades, until 30 years
later it got arthritic. Now joint is about 20° out of alignment and does
not match the spacing of the piano keys. My other passion.

Ivan Vegvary

This gitten old s^&t aint's for pussies. I got a shoulder I dislocated
playing football in high school, four fingers that got caught in a dump
truck end gate chain at 21,an arm I broke skiing at 23, and a middle finger
that I mashed the p*$$ out of at 30. All these spots give me more trouble
now than when they happened.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

news:Lqidnb2BdIOAbUXXnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@posted. choiceonecommunications...

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

"Thanks Kelso, Rest In Peace."

Is it just me or does that line raise a question for you, too.

--Winston

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder about properly adjusting the
belt tension after the belt was changed?

Jeff

You didn't adjust belt tension after the belt was changed. Belt
tension was governed by shims in the two-piece generator pulley.

I'll try and remember that info, never having owned a Bug.

But, was it usual to not have to reset the number of shims in that pully
when replacing a well used belt with a new one?

Jeff

Usual, yes. The shims were set for a new belt in the first place,
right? Nobody adjusted the shims as the belt aged because things
usually kept working until the belt broke or tossed. You stop RFN, put
on the spare, resume travel.

This book was invaluable to beetle owners who were even moderatly
handy:
http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Volk.../dp/1562614800
With it and a few simple tools there wasn't much a rank amateur
couldn't fix. Tranny rebuilt wasn't on the menu but engine rebuild
was, and it could be done (and has been done) in parking lots and
campgrounds.

A recalled excerpt, paraphrased but I'll bet pretty close:

"Crawl under the car until the oil drain plug is right over your nose.
Now reach up with your 13 mm wrench and find a bolt that it fits. If
it doesn't fit, keep looking. When you find the bolt, turn your
head to the side so the crap falls into your ear instead of your eye
and yank on the wrench..."

Muir may not have said "crap".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:46:59 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

This book was invaluable to beetle owners who were even moderatly
handy:
http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Volk.../dp/1562614800
With it and a few simple tools there wasn't much a rank amateur
couldn't fix. Tranny rebuilt wasn't on the menu but engine rebuild
was, and it could be done (and has been done) in parking lots and
campgrounds.

A recalled excerpt, paraphrased but I'll bet pretty close:

"Crawl under the car until the oil drain plug is right over your nose.
Now reach up with your 13 mm wrench and find a bolt that it fits. If
it doesn't fit, keep looking. When you find the bolt, turn your
head to the side so the crap falls into your ear instead of your eye
and yank on the wrench..."

Muir may not have said "crap".

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Volkswagen Repair

Another very good book.

Best time for swapping out VW engines was 42 minutes. I was rather good
at it at one time.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 03:21:04 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

Y'know that little push-on hose between the fuel line and the carb? My
favorite view of that was from the road, driving by a burning VW where
that line had rotted and broken or just flat came off.

My 3 favorite views on the road: Rainbows, burning VWs (and there were
a whole lot of those), and upside-down BMW "sports cars" (2 so far.)

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Volk...sary/dp/156261
[...]

My two favorite roadside sights:

1) Driving on a major highway near Boston, saw some oil in the road,
followed a little later by a piece of metal with more oil, followed by a
gear. Then there were lots more gears & more oil, which slowly tapered
off. Then a car by the side of the road. Plotted vs distance, there was
a nice sort of gaussian distribution of transmission parts.

2) In California, they had been painting a yellow line down the middle
of the highway. It was fine for a while, nice & smooth. Then it began
to weave back & forth a bit, and then the weaving got really wild and the
line went all over the place. It eventually veared off to the right hand
shoulder, where there was a LOT of yellow paint in a big splodge.

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-17, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Winston wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

"jeff_wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...

What a way to win a bet!

http://www.youtube.com/user/VOLKSWAGNUT

I think I'll keep my fingers and do it the old fashion way.

"Thanks Kelso, Rest In Peace."

Is it just me or does that line raise a question for you, too.

--Winston

Is it just me or did anyone else wonder about properly adjusting the
belt tension after the belt was changed?

I can't view it. It *insists* that I register with youtube
(something which I have not encountered on other videos there), and I
refuse to do that.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. Every time I pulled an engine...that got replaced. Every time.
Same with replaceing the battery cover that protected the hot terminal
from the rear seat springs. Toss a bunch of gear back there..or in a
couple cases...**** back there and Poof!...."hey...whats that smell"?

I was Sr Engineer for an alarm company that had 160+ armed guards and
patrolman in a second division. They drove VWs....lots of oilfield and
off road patrols. It was actually pretty hard to beat the Bugs,
particularly a hotrodded one with a driver who knew how to drive one. I
think before they went over to trucks..we had something like 75 VWs on
patrol. I built one that was 1900cc...G..tricked out for off road. I
took down a bunch of wire and mercury thieves using that one and a
couple pot growers.

My 3 favorite views on the road: Rainbows, burning VWs (and there were
a whole lot of those), and upside-down BMW "sports cars" (2 so far.)

Id love to have another VW to kick around in. NO SUPER BEETLES!!!

(very weak front ends)

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Didja spot this one? (Guiness World Record.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKF6d...1&feature=fvwp

(Though it looked to me like the bolts were only finger tightened.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote...

Best time for swapping out VW engines was 42 minutes. I was rather good
at it at one time.

Gunner

I used to be pretty fast too. I had a '71 bus in Tucson and it burned the
#3 cyl
exhaust valve at least twice every summer. I could pull the engine, strip
off
the **** metal, yank the heads and be on my way to the machine shop in
well
under an hour. Solo.

I don't think I could swap engines in 42 minutes tho.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:26:43 GMT, the infamous Doug White
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Wow, that's one I've never seen. All I've ever seen are pieces of
Pontiac GTO ring gear and hypoid gear lube on the ground after my
buddy blew it with the built 389 sportin' a 6-pack. I warned him that
the 2.70:1 wouldn't hold it. He later put in a 3.01:1 and it took us
to San Diego from Vista in 17 minutes, about 39 miles. I think the
high speed was 140, and we raced a California Highway Patrol officer
at one point, just after getting on I-5 in Oceanside. It wasn't until
about five minutes later that Phil told me that it had been a friend
of his and they did that all the time. He hit 4th at 120 and we
pulled away from the Chippie quickly and smoothly. My heart was in my
throat only from the black and white, not the fun and speedy ride. g
Ah, the good old days...

2) In California, they had been painting a yellow line down the middle
of the highway. It was fine for a while, nice & smooth. Then it began
to weave back & forth a bit, and then the weaving got really wild and the
line went all over the place. It eventually veared off to the right hand
shoulder, where there was a LOT of yellow paint in a big splodge.

Har! That'll teach him to light the Big Bambu spliff while driving,
won't it, mon?

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They were already loose, not all of them were done (bellhousing bolt
behind the back seat) and it took 3 guys with the car already up on
ramps.

But it wasnt too bad.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
... San Diego from Vista in 17 minutes, about 39 miles. I think the
high speed was 140, ...

Wait a minute ... 39 miles in 17 min is 138 mph, average. My memory
isn't what it used to be, either G.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sun, 18 Oct 2009 03:21:04 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
wrote:
[...]

Had to pull an engine from a van for repairs it in a car port in
Cairo, Egypt. The "fun" part was trying to get it back in. No floor
jack. So instead of sticking the engine into the van, "stuck the van
onto the engine." Stacked bricks, place engine, get helpers to push
van 'back' while I aligned everything from underneath. I'm glad I
knew what I was doing ... I think.
I liked the VW Vans, for the most part. Fussy, but easy to
maintain.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:20:27 -0700 did write/type or cause to

wrote:

[...]

Cool. Craziest thing I ever heard of was that the bolt patterns
on early BMW bikes match the early VW bug engines. Swap em right
over, and suddenly you have a monster bike with 1200 CC engine. I
always wanted to try that....

My 3 favorite views on the road: Rainbows, burning VWs (and there were
a whole lot of those), and upside-down BMW "sports cars" (2 so far.)

Id love to have another VW to kick around in. NO SUPER BEETLES!!!

(very weak front ends)

I want a Typ II, double cab (Van as pickup). Maybe with the
optional aux heater. (VW's one general weak spot.)

tschus

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:45:49 -0400, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
... San Diego from Vista in 17 minutes, about 39 miles. I think the
high speed was 140, ...

Wait a minute ... 39 miles in 17 min is 138 mph, average. My memory
isn't what it used to be, either G.

Oops, knock off 8 miles for the CA-78 trip from Vista to I-5. My bad.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 04:54:49 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:20:27 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 03:21:04 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

Best time for swapping out VW engines was 42 minutes. I was rather good
at it at one time.

Y'know that little push-on hose between the fuel line and the carb? My
favorite view of that was from the road, driving by a burning VW where
that line had rotted and broken or just flat came off.

Ayup. Every time I pulled an engine...that got replaced. Every time.
Same with replaceing the battery cover that protected the hot terminal
from the rear seat springs. Toss a bunch of gear back there..or in a
couple cases...**** back there and Poof!...."hey...whats that smell"?

Speaking of procreating in the back of the little PsOS, I did like the
fact that they provided ankle straps for her. And the tilting seats
got out of the way for your feet. But I wish they'd padded the rear
floor better.

And the rear seat back was readily removable
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That only worked for the first year without replacing the expensive
thermostat unit, at least on the 1963 version, apparently the latter
ones were better.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gerald Miller on or
about Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:55:30 -0400 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

My 3 favorite views on the road: Rainbows, burning VWs (and there were
a whole lot of those), and upside-down BMW "sports cars" (2 so far.)

Id love to have another VW to kick around in. NO SUPER BEETLES!!!

(very weak front ends)

I want a Typ II, double cab (Van as pickup). Maybe with the
optional aux heater. (VW's one general weak spot.)

That only worked for the first year without replacing the expensive
thermostat unit, at least on the 1963 version, apparently the latter
ones were better.

The one I saw was in a surplus Dutch Police van. It was
apparently used as a portable office, (1968-72.) and so had the
gasoline fired heater so the ink (and fingers) wouldn't freeze. This
was back in 1976, when we all knew that the ice ages were just around
the corner.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:50:39 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

I had the first year of issue ('63) in Canada. Mother had a latter one
(probably '68-'70, she quit driving in'76 and gave the car to Grand
daughter) that performed somewhat better.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada