Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Squaring a chiock

Years ago when I worked in a shipyard we use to make chocks to align
machinery. One surface was milled flat and te other surface was mill so that
thick chock could be installed to align the machine. This was 40 years ago.
I need to make a chock to tram a machine. For the life of me I don't
remember how to do the math to square the chock.

if the readings were
1 2

1.5 4

how would you square the chock so that it could mbe milled.

--
Dan Mauch
economical 3D scanner software and kits

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 6:16*am, "Dan Mauch" wrote:
Years ago when I worked in a shipyard we use to make chocks to align
machinery. One surface was milled flat and te other surface was mill so that
thick chock could be installed to align the machine. This was 40 years ago.
I need to make a chock to tram a machine. For the life of me I don't
remember how to do the math to square the chock.

if the readings were
1 * * * * * *2

1.5 * * * * *4

how would you square the chock so that it could mbe milled.

--
Dan Mauch
economical 3D scanner software and kits
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives
kits and assembled 3-4 axis driveswww.camtronics-cnc.comwww.seanet.com/~dmauch

Hey Dan,
cant get my head around what your trying to do - (send me a sketch? -
if necessary, will take it into school and get the instructors to tell
me) the way I was taught was to mill flat one face, use it as a datum
reference, and work out everything from that. I imagine there would be
some trigonometry involved, but even a mathematically challenged idiot
such as I can do it with a modern $20 calculator with trig
functions....
BTW - checked out your website - you made mention of a PCB milling
machine - hows that going, I would love to build one of them (after my
steam engine, which I think is the metalworking equivalent of the
crystal set in electronics....) Been looking at CNC projects, seems
like a fair bit of precision machining, or buying precision linear
bearings etc - the electronics is no real problem.
Andrew VK3BFA.

"real engineers dont cut slots"