loutent

Default Squaring off melamine...

I am just finishing a renovation of a kitchen pantry.
It was sort of a bear of a space. 24 (deep) x 30 (wide)
with an 18 inch passage door hung in front. Had fixed
shelves about every 12 inches. Some of the 7 shelves were full
depth (24) and some were 16 and the top shelf was 12.
Particle board shelving (came with the house).

I tore it all out, mudded it smooth, put on two nice
coats of semi-gloss white and screwed some adjuatable
standards into the studs.

I spent today cutting "U"-shaped shelving from melamine
sheets (4x8-damn heavy!). The shelves had a variety of
cut-outs, depending on position. The bottom one had a
4 inch "U" cut out, while the others varied (8, 10, 12
etc.). Shelf depth got a little less as you go up.

Anyhow, after triming out the U's with my 1/2 inch flush
trim bit, I have an inside radius on the melamine.

I want to edge the shelving with some oak strips, but would like
some nice square (90 deg) inside corners to work with.

What is the best way to square an inside melamine corner?

I have some pretty sharp chisels, a fine-tooth dovetail saw
and a bunch of other stuff.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks .

Lou
dadiOH

loutent wrote:

What is the best way to square an inside melamine corner?

I have some pretty sharp chisels, a fine-tooth dovetail saw
and a bunch of other stuff.

Open to any suggestions.

I'd probably use a chisel and/or file.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Doug Miller

In article QK7Zd.4966$b_6.1164@trnddc01, "dadiOH" wrote:
loutent wrote:

What is the best way to square an inside melamine corner?

I have some pretty sharp chisels, a fine-tooth dovetail saw
and a bunch of other stuff.

Open to any suggestions.

I'd probably use a chisel and/or file.

If using a file, be sure to file away from the side that will be most readily
visible, to avoid chipout of the melamine surface.

--
Regards,

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:12:40 -0500, the inscrutable loutent
spake:

What is the best way to square an inside melamine corner?

A coarse file to cut/shape and a fine file to finish up.
If you have an auger file (with teeth on edge but not face,
use that to shape. It won't tend to undercut the line.

I have some pretty sharp chisels, a fine-tooth dovetail saw
and a bunch of other stuff.

A super-fine razor saw might work, but point the teeth into the
melamine or it'll shred.

--
EAT SOYLENT McD!
----------------------
loutent

Thanks everyone. For future reference, this is what I did.

The filing did not work very well and it took a long time
for each radius. Got chip-out even taking care on the
direction etc.

Eventually, about half-way through (isn't that always
the way) I got pretty good at it.

The melamine was 3/4 so I used a 1/2 inch sharp chisel.
First, I worked on the particle board between each layer.
This removed most of the material, so I was able to glide
the chisel through the remaining melamine and got a pretty
good 90.

FWIW

Lou

In article , loutent
wrote:

[...]

Questions about melamine John Carlson Woodworking 7 January 8th 05 12:37 PM
melamine shelf deflection (long) loutent Woodworking 10 December 4th 04 03:00 AM
Pre-made melamine cabinets in different colors? Dolchas Home Repair 1 June 1st 04 01:01 PM
Melamine primer Andy Hall UK diy 6 September 7th 03 12:26 AM
Does painting melamine contradict the reason for using melamine? Rich UK diy 1 July 10th 03 03:32 PM