Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Math question

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 14:31:56 -0600, SteveB wrote:

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 13:10:58 -0600, SteveB wrote:

How do I figure the area of a pool from the perimeter?

You don't. You need more information.

It is a kidney
shaped (exaggerated) pool.

Divide it into segments - two semicircles for the ends, and groups of
triangles or trapezoids for the middle, get their area, and add.

What is it you're trying to accomplish?

Good Luck!
Rich

To figure the surface area having only the perimeter as a known
variable.

Measure the perimeter, square the measurement, and multiply it by the
perimeter-to-area constant for the shape in question. For a square pool
the constant is 1/16, for a circular pool the constant is 1/(4*pi), for
an infinitely skinny pool the constant is 0. For your pool you'll have
to consult an appropriate handbook, or calculate it.

To find the correct constant for the shape of your pool, first calculate
it's surface area, then divide that area by the perimeter squared. Then
you'll have the correct constant, and you can calculate your pool surface
area -- or the surface area of any other pool with an exactly similar
shape -- just by knowing the perimeter.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 7, 7:15*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 21:39:48 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:10:58 -0600, "SteveB" wrote:

How do I figure the area of a pool from the perimeter? *It is a kidney
shaped (exaggerated) pool.

Steve

Fix a rule to the side of the pool.

Bail out one (or more) 55 gallon drums full from the pool

Area per inch change per drum is approx 88.23 sq ft.

Walk around the perimeter feeling happy :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Not with a curved bottom.....

If you only drain a few drums from the pool, the bottom stays full and
thus has no bearing on the calculation (assuming that the sides are
parallel).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Mark Rand wrote:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:10:58 -0600, "SteveB" wrote:

How do I figure the area of a pool from the perimeter? It is a kidney
shaped (exaggerated) pool.

Fix a rule to the side of the pool.
Bail out one (or more) 55 gallon drums full from the pool
Area per inch change per drum is approx 88.23 sq ft.

88.17
Walk around the perimeter feeling happy :-)

Clever. It would be easier still to *add* 55 gallons.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:10:58 -0600, "SteveB" wrote:

How do I figure the area of a pool from the perimeter? It is a kidney
shaped (exaggerated) pool.

Steve

Fix a rule to the side of the pool.

Bail out one (or more) 55 gallon drums full from the pool

Area per inch change per drum is approx 88.23 sq ft.

Walk around the perimeter feeling happy :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

Not with a curved bottom.....

You don't bail the water out of the bottom of the pool, you bail it out of the
top :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 20:23:18 -0600, SteveB wrote:
. 3.70...
fired this volley in news:656dee88-c74d-4919-a95a-
:

You can't do it just by
measuring the perimeter unless it's a regular figure, circle,
semicircle, triangle, hexagon, or whatever.

WRONG! Check out what planimeters do! (geeesh!)

I Googled planimeter, and came up with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planimeter

So did I - and for a swimming pool, wouldn't that need one BIG HONKING
planimeter?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise fired this volley in
news
So did I - and for a swimming pool, wouldn't that need one BIG HONKING
planimeter?

No..... one can do it from an aerial photo. And FWIW, even a BIG HONKING
planimeter is easy to make, easy to salvage afterwards.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Rich Grise fired this volley in
news
Then you're pretty much out of luck.

Rich! Bull! That's _exactly_ what a planimeter does for a living!

No, it integrates surface area while measuring BOTH perimeter and angle
traveled from a single point, simultaneously. That makes a big
difference, although I still don't know exactly how they work. But,
they require you to stick a pin in the paper at one point and not move
it until you've traced the entire perimeter.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Wed, 07 Oct 2009 16:15:26 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:39:16 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Oct 7, 4:31*pm, "SteveB" wrote:

To figure the surface area having only the perimeter as a known variable.

Steve

In general, you can't. If you kick in the side of a 5 gallon bucket,
how much does it hold? The rim length hasn't changed.

In this particular case, call the manufacturer or installer.

jsw

Or bail it out and count the gallons and then convert to square feet of
water

Fill a 55 gallon drum with water and seal it. Roll it into the
pool. Repeat until you can measure an increase in water level.
Estimate the volume of the barrels.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-08, Rich Grise wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 20:23:18 -0600, SteveB wrote:
. 3.70...
fired this volley in news:656dee88-c74d-4919-a95a-
:

You can't do it just by
measuring the perimeter unless it's a regular figure, circle,
semicircle, triangle, hexagon, or whatever.

WRONG! Check out what planimeters do! (geeesh!)

I Googled planimeter, and came up with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planimeter

So did I - and for a swimming pool, wouldn't that need one BIG HONKING
planimeter?

Or a nice aerial or satellite view from directly overhead and a
measurement between two known locations to calculate a scale factor.
Find the view, print it out, measure the distance between the two known
locations on the printout and the real world, then run the planimeter
around it and calculate the full scale area from the indicated area and
the scale factor.

I've got a nice old planimeter which I bought at a hamfest about
ten or fifteen years ago.

How much accuracy is needed for this project?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Rich Grise fired this volley in
news
Then you're pretty much out of luck.

Rich! Bull! That's _exactly_ what a planimeter does for a living!

No, it integrates surface area while measuring BOTH perimeter and
angle traveled from a single point, simultaneously. That makes a big
difference, although I still don't know exactly how they work. But,
they require you to stick a pin in the paper at one point and not move
it until you've traced the entire perimeter.

Of course.
Analog or digital, you still have to set one of the bounds as a fixed point.
The other can be varied to suit, but not both.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-10-08, Rich Grise wrote:
[...]

Not that much, apparently.

SteveB's (OP) solution was to measure across the pool in several places,
average the widths and multiply by the length.

Close enough for non-financial government work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Wes wrote:

My greatest regret in high school is that I didn't wise up and start on the right track to
take Calculus.

Never too late to get smart, Wes!

Periodically, I pick up a text book, periodically I set it back down. Seriously, if I
wasn't a wage slave and was part of the idle rich, I'd be in some college learning it.

Fwiw, I was pretty good solving trigonometric identities 15 years ago when I attended a
local college for a while. Only got a 3.5 in Trig but I was prouder of the 3.5 than the
4.0 in college algebra.

The gentlemen that taught the trig class, was a definite nerd, horn rimmed glasses,
trousers belted high but he was a good teacher, also head of the mathemetics department.

He mentioned he did his calculus problems as a student in ink

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

Wes wrote:
My greatest regret in high school is that I didn't wise up and start on the right track to
take Calculus.

Never too late to get smart, Wes!

Periodically, I pick up a text book, periodically I set it back down. Seriously, if I
wasn't a wage slave and was part of the idle rich, I'd be in some college learning it.

Fwiw, I was pretty good solving trigonometric identities 15 years ago when I attended a
local college for a while. Only got a 3.5 in Trig but I was prouder of the 3.5 than the
4.0 in college algebra.

The gentlemen that taught the trig class, was a definite nerd, horn rimmed glasses,
trousers belted high but he was a good teacher, also head of the mathemetics department.

He mentioned he did his calculus problems as a student in ink

Wes

There are many ways to study things.

http://www.understandingcalculus.com/
http://www.wannalearn.com/Academic_S...tics/Calculus/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 18:54:56 -0400, Wes wrote:

..

He mentioned he did his calculus problems as a student in ink

Wes

Ummm. How else does one do calculus problems then?

Expiring minds need to know :-)

Mark Rand(suddenly feeling old)
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand fired this volley in
:

Expiring minds need to know :-)

hey! That's of MY sigs... and an original one, by me, for me! ('cept,
it's "Expiring minds WANT to know!")

LLoyd

-----------------
Cole's Axiom -- the total intelligence of the planet is constant. The
population is increasing exponentially.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.
He mentioned he did his calculus problems as a student in ink

Wes

Ummm. How else does one do calculus problems then?

Expiring minds need to know :-)

Mark Rand(suddenly feeling old)
RTFM

In one's head, of course!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh writes:

Use a planimeter to do it, or print a picture of it to some sort of
scale on graph paper, then break it up into the smallest polygons (of
the same shape and size) you can.

Use a bitmap editor to trap and count pixels with a histogram.
All you need is a plan view digital image.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-10-08, Rich Grise wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 20:23:18 -0600, SteveB wrote:
68.3.70...
[...]

A potentially accurate method is to divide the central area into
triangles and use Heron's formula in a spreadsheet:
http://mste.illinois.edu/dildine/heron/triarea.html

Assume the ends are semicircles and start the triangles one radius in
from the ends. The chord errors on the convex and concave sides may
partly compensate for each other if the curvatures are similar.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,
(Edward A. Falk) wrote:
In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:

It would be nice if you'd quote the post you're responding to so
that other people would know what the heck you're talking about...

Ahh, mea culpa. I've gotten too spoiled by a newsreader that threads
the posts and lets you know what post follows which, and lets you
easily see the previous post. Hadn't realized that not all
newsreaders do this.

Mine does that. The problem is that I'd apparently already read the
post you
replied to, and so it had disappeared before I got to yours.

Be aware, also, that *nothing* in the NNTP protocol guarantees that
posts will
arrive at any particular news server in anything even faintly
resembling the
sequence in which they were generated -- or, indeed, that they will
arrive at
all.

In short, you cannot assume that the post you're replying to will be
available
for reading by *anyone*, no matter what client software they're
using. That's
why it's best practice to quote the relevant portion(s) of anything
you reply
to.

Regardless, Iggi's solution is the common place implementation of
Simpson's
Rule.
Marine Architects and Naval Engineer's know it, and French Curves, well.

--
John R. Carroll

We just did seven real estate studies in the last two days. My formula is
actually the best, even over Simpson's Rule. Take four widths, average,
then multiply by length.

This method is absolutely the best since mathematically, as on the pools, I
am expected to be plus or minus 25% accuracy.

Steve :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
Rich Grise fired this volley in
news
So did I - and for a swimming pool, wouldn't that need one BIG HONKING
planimeter?

No..... one can do it from an aerial photo. And FWIW, even a BIG HONKING
planimeter is easy to make, easy to salvage afterwards.

LLoyd

The site I use has measurement capabilities that are very accurate. At
times, I will click a 100' line on the screen, set a pair of dividers to
that length, then use the dividers to either estimate from the screen, or
from a printout.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-10-08, Rich Grise wrote:
[...]

And falls within the + or - 25% parameters set by the employer.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 10, 9:22*pm, "John R. Carroll" wrote:
SteveB wrote:
This method is absolutely the best since mathematically, as on the
pools, I am expected to be plus or minus 25% accuracy.
Steve *:-)

LOL
John R. Carroll

How do they know if you're wrong?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Doug Miller wrote:
In article ,

Math question SteveB[_9_] Home Repair 98 November 5th 09 06:55 AM
math help stryped[_2_] Metalworking 20 August 2nd 08 03:31 AM
Let's try to do the math Ignoramus5114 Metalworking 6 October 21st 07 07:08 AM
I need a little bit of math help. Modat22 Metalworking 11 May 4th 05 04:16 PM
Carpet question (math involved) [email protected] Home Repair 12 April 27th 05 01:11 PM