Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair of combination shear/brake/roll

I have a shear/brake/roll combo that looks identical to mcMaster item
2384A72, http://tinyurl.com/ybqu9xj, catalog page 2289. (cost was $10,
but read on).

This machine looks good in all respects, except that crescent shaped
bottom support brace has a vertical crack in the middle. You can look
at the bottom of the above mentioned tinyirl image to see that support
-- it is shaped like a crescent "(|", is horizontal, and would almost
touch the bench on which you would set this combination machine.

The crack is almost in the middle.

Presently, I see three ways to fix it.

1. Take it off, grind a vee, heat in BBQ, and weld with Nickel 55 rod.
2. [Easiest] install a thick steel plate under the bottom that would
support the cracked brace. I have a suitable steel plate that
is 1" thick and is longer than the width of the roll, it's got to
be enough.
3. Do both 1 and 2.

Has anyone tried similar repairs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 25, 11:36*am, Ignoramus24590 ignoramus24...@NOSPAM.
24590.invalid wrote:
[...]

The frame on mine hasn't (?) cracked but most everything else needed a
little attention when I bought it used, and again after every heavy
cut. I'd grab any excuse to copy the frame parts in steel plate and
machine the holes to a better fit or leave extra metal for press-in
bushings.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

24590.invalid wrote:
[...]

jsw- Hide quoted text -

I agree....almost all of these 3 in 1 machines I have seen fail in
that area.

The original component is underengineered.

I would replace it with steel...and then reinforce the frame to
anticipate future similar stresses.

TMT