Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Default Stupid question maybe. shear and brake

Can a shear commonly be used as a brake, too?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"knowone" wrote: Can a shear commonly be used as a brake, too?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. A brake has a pair of parallel jaws that grip the metal, and a third
"jaw" that does the bending. A shear has two "jaws," which are not
parallel, and which do not meet (like a pair of scissors, or *oddly,* like a
pair of shears.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Leo Lichtman :

"knowone" wrote: Can a shear commonly be used as a brake, too?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No. A brake has a pair of parallel jaws that grip the metal, and a third
"jaw" that does the bending. A shear has two "jaws," which are not
parallel, and which do not meet (like a pair of scissors, or *oddly,* like a
pair of shears.)

There are some which do the brake operation with only two jaws.
A "press brake" has a female V below the workpiece, and a male V pressed
into it from above to do the bending.

What you described is a "pan brake" or a "finger brake" or
similar.

So -- I *guess* that a shear could be modified to perform as a
press brake -- but it would need a lot of extra reenforcing. Not
something quick to change back and forth.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
knowone

Okay. Thanks. I thought that I had read on here somewhere that a shear
could be used as a brake but that was news to me.
In fact, the shear is new to me, as well. It is cold outside or I would go
give it a better look. It is not even unloaded off of the trailer yet.

This is a press or foot shear. Weighs a ton or so.

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
rvers.com...
According to Leo Lichtman :

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

knowone writes:

Okay. Thanks. I thought that I had read on here somewhere that a shear
could be used as a brake but that was news to me.

There are combination versions, e.g.,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5907

I've had lots of fun with that one, for the money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

knowone wrote:
Can a shear commonly be used as a brake, too?

Thanks

A dull shear with enough clearance can bend thin stainless 90 degrees
when you don't want it to but it scars up the stainless and may jam the
shear. Charlie