Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 in 1 roll/brake/shear question

I'm looking at a used 30" import 3 in 1 sheet metal machines. What's the
usual wear or breakage points?

I don't plan to use it much, mostly quick little prototype projects in
my home shop. I have access to bigger machines when I need to do
anything serious or precision.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 24, 11:38*am, RoyJ wrote:
I'm looking at a used 30" import 3 in 1 sheet metal machines. What's the
usual wear or breakage points?

I don't plan to use it much, mostly quick little prototype projects in
my home shop. *I have access to bigger machines when I need to do
anything serious or precision.

Smaller machines like these are very handy to have around...if you are
working within their limits I.E. the thinner guage material.

With that said the condition and quality varies considerably with
imported Chinese/Indian machines.

I would test shear (the shear being the most likely part of the 3 in 1
that may be defective) very thin material and see how well it cuts.
Poor shearing may be to a dull blade or to a bigger problem.

I have also noted that many of the 3 in 1 imported machines I have
seen have had the cast iron table under the shear broken in
half...which is rather obvious. ;)

If I had one, I would reinforce that part of the machine considering
how many I seen broken.

The brake and roll function seem to be acceptable for an import
machine.

For myself I chose the route of separate machines (i.e. Diarco/Pexto/
Whitney) which resulted in better quality but they take up much more
space and cost considerably more.

I also seem to recall that there is a Japanese 3 in 1 machine
(Trinco?) that is a quality machine...and is the basis of the 3 in 1
import clones.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:38:15 -0500, RoyJ
wrote:

I'm looking at a used 30" import 3 in 1 sheet metal machines. What's the
usual wear or breakage points?

I don't plan to use it much, mostly quick little prototype projects in
my home shop. I have access to bigger machines when I need to do
anything serious or precision.

Make sure the slip roll gears are lubed and in adjustment (Biggest
problem) and either use an appropriate dummy piece in thebrake or put
a suitable radius on the brake punch (it's SHARP)

They are a lot nicer if you replace all the cheesy adjustment screws
with proper knobs, levers etc. Also check for wear at the adjustments
where the screws weren't cut off square.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 24, 1:38*pm, RoyJ wrote:
I'm looking at a used 30" import 3 in 1 sheet metal machines. What's the
usual wear or breakage points?

I don't plan to use it much, mostly quick little prototype projects in
my home shop. *I have access to bigger machines when I need to do
anything serious or precision.

Mine was second-hand and nothing had worn or broken, but the previous
owner hadn't been able to cut [plastic sheet?] with it. I had to
fiddle with it a lot to get it to cut 1/16" aluminum the full width
without the upper blade twisting back part way through the cut. It
works a lot better with 0.050 aluminum, likewise with steel less than
the suggested maximum. After a few heavy cuts the shear needs
readjusting.

The only good way I found to bend accurately was to redo the back gage
with threaded rod and nuts and measure carefully on each end from the
gage to the point of the upper die. The clamping tee screws that came
on it broke off with finger pressure.

I ran a company model shop once that had a well-made 'Triok' 3-in-1
combo machine, but it wasn't really much easier to use than the
Chinese one. The shop also had a Pexto shear and finger brake, which
I'd love to own but don't have the space. I tried making things on the
separates and the combo and found that there wasn't much difference in
what they could do although the combo was slower and more awkward.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The table will bend or break in the middle if you try to exceed the
shear limit. BTDT. It's $34 from HF parts. The unit is top heavy. Bolt
it down securely, or consider what a couple hunderd pounds will feel
like on the tops of your feet. The roll and brake work well.
Pics of my Stand for mine he
Oops, never put them in the dropbox...
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

I'm looking at a used 30" import 3 in 1 sheet metal machines. What's the
usual wear or breakage points?

I don't plan to use it much, mostly quick little prototype projects in
my home shop. I have access to bigger machines when I need to do
anything serious or precision.

HOME PAGE:
http:/www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth