Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default iron worker

Ad in the paper: 50 ton iron worker mechanical $1700 OBO

Steal? Pass?

I did some surfing, don't know didly squat about these. it sounds like I
need to look for dies and a hydraulic unit would be better.

I have real nice bandsaws, both horizontal (1" blade) and vertical - roll
in. And a radial arm drill press. Would I end up using one much? or just
another toy in the way?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can't have too many toys...
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Karl Townsend wrote:
Ad in the paper: 50 ton iron worker mechanical $1700 OBO

Steal? Pass?

I did some surfing, don't know didly squat about these. it sounds like I
need to look for dies and a hydraulic unit would be better.

I have real nice bandsaws, both horizontal (1" blade) and vertical - roll
in. And a radial arm drill press. Would I end up using one much? or just
another toy in the way?

Karl

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can't have too many toys...
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I LIKE your thinking. Man after my heart. But I've filled up the basement
shop, the barn shop, and a huge part of the machinery storage area. My SO
actually suggested that I SELL something. Perish the thought.

I'd best only get this only if its a deal and I'll end up using it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
You can't have too many toys...
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I LIKE your thinking. Man after my heart. But I've filled up the basement
shop, the barn shop, and a huge part of the machinery storage area. My SO
actually suggested that I SELL something. Perish the thought.

I'd best only get this only if its a deal and I'll end up using it.

Karl

Mostly if you deal with round pipe and punch holes in sheet. When I was
building roll cages for my cars, I would of loved an Ironworker.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Ad in the paper: 50 ton iron worker mechanical $1700 OBO

Steal? Pass?

I did some surfing, don't know didly squat about these. it sounds like I
need to look for dies and a hydraulic unit would be better.

I have real nice bandsaws, both horizontal (1" blade) and vertical - roll
in. And a radial arm drill press. Would I end up using one much? or just
another toy in the way?

Karl

If I had one, I'd sure find uses for it. Trouble is, one day I'd run out of
projects. Ironworkers and Piranhas are awesome when you want to do a
specific job, and you have a lot of stuff to cut/punch. There would also be
the ability to hire out to do side jobs for metalworkers less fortunate than
you. ;-) At $$$ per hour, it could pay for itself. If you don't break too
many dies, that is.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They are just great for a shop using hot rolled steel bar, plate, and
especially angle. Cut, bend, punch. Consider the small shop making the
twin axle car haulers: a lot of angles and bars cut to length with lots
of holes. With a stop on the end, you can cut angle pieces at almost the
full cycle rate of the machine. Ditto for bar. If the dies are sharp,
you have almost no deburring to do.

But you need the dies to make the machine work: full set of the punch
dies, cutter dies, plus the brake can run as much as the base machine.
Sound familiar?

Karl Townsend wrote:
Ad in the paper: 50 ton iron worker mechanical $1700 OBO

Steal? Pass?

I did some surfing, don't know didly squat about these. it sounds like I
need to look for dies and a hydraulic unit would be better.

I have real nice bandsaws, both horizontal (1" blade) and vertical - roll
in. And a radial arm drill press. Would I end up using one much? or just
another toy in the way?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
Ad in the paper: 50 ton iron worker mechanical $1700 OBO

Steal? Pass?

I did some surfing, don't know didly squat about these. it sounds like I
need to look for dies and a hydraulic unit would be better.

I have real nice bandsaws, both horizontal (1" blade) and vertical - roll
in. And a radial arm drill press. Would I end up using one much? or just
another toy in the way?

Karl

Karl
With your CNC plasma cutter, band saw and a press brake you can do more
than an ironworker with it's limited set of dies. I looked at buying one and
passed for that reason.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl
With your CNC plasma cutter, band saw and a press brake you can do more
than an ironworker with it's limited set of dies. I looked at buying one
and passed for that reason.
Steve

Good point. I don't have a press brake. Sounds like that's the toy I need
for Christmass. I do have a very large 400 ton compression molding press
that I've never got running. (Its really "the kid's") maybe i should focus
on getting it going. "The kid" is in love and has no time for shop stuff. (I
should get him back after he's married)

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Karl
With your CNC plasma cutter, band saw and a press brake you can do more
than an ironworker with it's limited set of dies. I looked at buying one
and passed for that reason.
Steve

Good point. I don't have a press brake. Sounds like that's the toy I need
for Christmass. I do have a very large 400 ton compression molding press
that I've never got running. (Its really "the kid's") maybe i should
focus on getting it going. "The kid" is in love and has no time for shop
stuff. (I should get him back after he's married)

Karl

How is that plasma table coming along? I just bought a Hypertherm 1000 to
put on my table. Sweet machine it is.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:25:16 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Ad in the paper: 50 ton iron worker mechanical $1700 OBO

Steal? Pass?

I did some surfing, don't know didly squat about these. it sounds like I
need to look for dies and a hydraulic unit would be better.

I have real nice bandsaws, both horizontal (1" blade) and vertical - roll
in. And a radial arm drill press. Would I end up using one much? or just
another toy in the way?

Karl

Some stuff only an Ironworker does - like stamping the triangle
spike end on a piece of square tube to make fence top stakes. You can
knock thouse out by the hundreds with a simple jig to set the length
of the batch.

Check it out - if it comes with a lot of useful tooling, it might be
worth getting. Perfect for punching and folding tabs and brackets.

(Speaking of which, I need lots of custom tabs punched out - the
U-shaped tabs to hinge 1-1/2" square tubing, convert my truck rack to
swing-away cross-arms. Then I have to make some arms to hang warning
lights off the back corners, and arms to mount conduit carrier tubes
off the sides, and a 48" wide conveyor roller on the back bar for
sliding big ladders off, and then mount a Traffic Director strobe
stick under that back bar...)

You needed an excuse to build another shop barn, dint'cha?

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How is that plasma table coming along? I just bought a Hypertherm 1000 to
put on my table. Sweet machine it is.
Steve

Mechanical is done. Machine painted. Had to pour concrete footings to put it
on dirt floor unheated part of barn. (shops are full) Also installed water
line to it and a drain running 200' outside. Haven't started on control and
electrical - have to work for a living all fall.

I get time again in Nov. and Dec. But I got a bum finger that really suffers
in the cold. For most outside work, I wear the "Don Foreman (TM)" finger
heater. Can't wear it for electrical cabinet work. So, as soon as things
freeze tight, I'm inside and this project waits for spring.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You needed an excuse to build another shop barn, dint'cha?

Sure do, but the SO came up with a "fair" idea a few years ago. I get
something, she gets something. A new shop would also cost a house addition.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 05:57:12 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

You needed an excuse to build another shop barn, dint'cha?

Sure do, but the SO came up with a "fair" idea a few years ago. I get
something, she gets something. A new shop would also cost a house addition.

Remind her that it's just that much more floorspace to clean, eh? That
and the fact that the shop keeps you out from underfoot of her.

Does she alway get tit for tat, or does she sometimes opt for
something less expensive than your tats?

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Remind her that it's just that much more floorspace to clean, eh? That
and the fact that the shop keeps you out from underfoot of her.

Does she alway get tit for tat, or does she sometimes opt for
something less expensive than your tats?

I have to concede she treats me purty good, lets me have my toys, and live
in the manner to which I become accustom.

Karl