Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench chuck

A guy a worked for had an electric impact gun fitted with a nifty drill
chuck: half inch capacity drill chuck and a 1/2" square drive. I'd
assemble trailers with the impact gun, have a suitable drill in the
chuck for the holes that didn't quite line up. Really nice to have the
gun switch to impact mode when it jammed up.

Anyone know where to get such a chuck these days? (Horrible Freight has
a sale on the impact gun)

I suppose I could make an adapter by turning a suitable taper on a 1/2"
drive socket or extension but.............
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 7, 10:06*am, RoyJ wrote:
A guy a worked for had an electric impact gun fitted with a nifty drill
chuck: half inch capacity drill chuck and a 1/2" square drive. I'd
assemble trailers with the impact gun, have a suitable drill in the
chuck for the holes that didn't quite line up. Really nice to have the
gun switch to impact mode when it jammed up.

Anyone know where to get such a chuck these days? *(Horrible Freight has
a sale on the impact gun)

I suppose I could make an adapter by turning a suitable taper on a 1/2"
drive socket or extension but.............

If you can't find the chuck (which sounds very handy) and you don't
want to mess with turning the taper, you could get a JT to straight
shank adapter and a 1/2" drive socket that fits the shank closely -
then braze them together.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
rangerssuck wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:06*am, RoyJ wrote:
A guy a worked for had an electric impact gun fitted with a nifty drill
chuck: half inch capacity drill chuck and a 1/2" square drive. I'd
assemble trailers with the impact gun, have a suitable drill in the
chuck for the holes that didn't quite line up. Really nice to have the
gun switch to impact mode when it jammed up.

Anyone know where to get such a chuck these days? *(Horrible Freight has
a sale on the impact gun)

I suppose I could make an adapter by turning a suitable taper on a 1/2"
drive socket or extension but.............

If you can't find the chuck (which sounds very handy) and you don't
want to mess with turning the taper, you could get a JT to straight
shank adapter and a 1/2" drive socket that fits the shank closely -
then braze them together.

I am not sure a JT could take the repeated pounding from an impact gun.
You might try to find a chuck that size with a threaded back or maybe
weld the arbor to the chuck.

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RoyJ" wrote in message
A guy a worked for had an electric impact gun fitted with a nifty drill
chuck: half inch capacity drill chuck and a 1/2" square drive. I'd assemble
trailers with the impact gun, have a suitable drill in the chuck for the
holes that didn't quite line up. Really nice to have the gun switch to
impact mode when it jammed up.

Anyone know where to get such a chuck these days? (Horrible Freight has a
sale on the impact gun)

All mine says on it is "Jacobs No. 64-J9". Pretty sure I've seen them sold
under the Proto and
maybe Snap-On or Mac brands.

1/2" Square drive, 1/8-1/2 capacity, heavy duty keyless chuck. Works great
for drilling
out out of round holes, or lining up holes. A little rough on drill bits.

How do I use an impact wrench mm Home Repair 11 September 27th 06 03:35 AM
impact wrench, to buy or not to buy Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 February 15th 06 11:51 AM
impact wrench habbi Metalworking 49 December 16th 05 09:18 PM
3/4 IR impact wrench B.B. Metalworking 8 September 14th 05 06:53 AM
Air Impact Wrench amx Home Repair 4 August 10th 05 08:52 PM