B.B.

Default 3/4 IR impact wrench

I needed a big impact, so I settled on the IR258. Anyway, the thing
calls for (noticed this AFTER I got home) Ingersoll-Rand #50 oil for the
impact lubricant. Do I actually NEED to use that specific oil, or do
you think I'll be OK with something like ATF? I have a lot of ATF. Or
does the "#50" signify 50 weight? I have a lot of that, too.
Would it damage the tool or void the warranty? I haven't found
anything (yet) in the contract that says substituting the lubricant will
cause a problem. Nor have I found any information at all on IR#50 oil
other than prices and where to get it. Not that I have any problems
with acquiring the IR oil, I'm simply lazy and don't want to go out and
get anything that I don't have to.
Yeah, it came with oil already in it--I just want to know before I
need to.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov
DeepDiver

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
I needed a big impact, so I settled on the IR258. Anyway, the thing
calls for (noticed this AFTER I got home) Ingersoll-Rand #50 oil for the
impact lubricant. Do I actually NEED to use that specific oil, or do
you think I'll be OK with something like ATF? I have a lot of ATF.

I've heard of using Type-A ATF as a substitute for air tool lubrication oil
(in the air stream). But I can't imagine that ATF would be appropriate for
lubricating the impact mechanism.

Not that I have any problems with acquiring the IR oil,
I'm simply lazy and don't want to go out and get anything
that I don't have to.

Out of curiosity, just how much did that IR258 cost? A pretty penny I bet.
So why would you want to risk destroying your investment in a quality tool
by putting the wrong lubricant in it? I can perhaps understand such a
reckless attitude with cheap import air tools, but why did you opt for an
expensive IR tool if you're going to abuse it?

- Michael

Chris

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"B.B." u wrote in
message
news
[...]

Have to agree with Michael on this one. I am sure you spent a pretty penny
on a quality tool, so why take the chance? Even more so, why take a chance
with the warranty? I am sure that if something goes wrong and IR finds out
that you were using something else, they might not be so inclined to
acknowledge the warranty. Most companies are looking for a way out on most
warranties, why give them the chance on a costly tool.

We are all lazy, but I think you are making a mistake on this one.

Chris

B.B.

In article , "Chris"
wrote:

[...]

[...]

Umm, that's why I'm asking before I do anything. Was that not clear?
I have every intention to take care of this tool, because yeah, it was
friggin' expensive. I wanted to know if someone happens knows if IR oil
is really a specific oil that must absolutely be used, or if it's just
something common with "IR" printed on the bottle. As I mentioned, I
have no information on the oil itself in order to find out on my own.
Not to be offensive or anything, but I'm not an idiot. "No, that
won't work, you need the real stuff," is plenty to let me know that I
should use the specified oil. The whole lecture thing--twice in a row,
no less--is redundant, a waste of everyone's time, and pretty annoying
to boot.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov
Steve W.

"B.B." u wrote in
message
news

--
B.B.

Most impacts use two different oils. One lubes the air motor and that is
where you use normal air tool oil, either using an oil mister or by
adding a few drops into the coupler. Then there is the oil in the
impact/clutch area (that is what the oil fill on the side is for. Most
of them use a 30 to 50 weight non-detergent oil. No problem using other
oils IF they are about the same viscosity.

Tom

Umm, that's why I'm asking before I do anything. Was that not clear?
I have every intention to take care of this tool, because yeah, it was
friggin' expensive. I wanted to know if someone happens knows if IR oil
is really a specific oil that must absolutely be used, or if it's just
something common with "IR" printed on the bottle. As I mentioned, I
have no information on the oil itself in order to find out on my own.
Not to be offensive or anything, but I'm not an idiot. "No, that
won't work, you need the real stuff," is plenty to let me know that I
should use the specified oil. The whole lecture thing--twice in a row,
no less--is redundant, a waste of everyone's time, and pretty annoying
to boot.

I doubt that it is anything special although they may have requested
an additive of some kind to make it "special". Most air tool oils (for
the motor) are just a good quality lightweight oil. When I had an air
tool repair company we had the best luck with TriFlow. Often we would
send a tool back to the customer and after a few days of continuous
use with no lube the customer would return it for a warranty repair
when all it needed was a little oil. After we switched to TriFlow they
would run a couple of weeks and someone would usually snap to the idea
that they might need to lubricate it. I was never a big fan of ATF.
Good luck and enjoy your new toy.
Tom

Ah, thank you. I was actually talking about the impact mechanism
(this one's oil bath instead of just greased) but I'll definitely give
Tri-flo a look when I need more motor oil. Which is soon.
What do you dislike about ATF? Does it wear off too quickly?

Sorry - guess I missed the first post. Can't really give you a
scientific reason for not being an ATF fan - it just never seemed to
lubricate as well as some other products we tried. I guess wearing off
too quickly would be as good an explanation as any. I know a lot of
people use it and swear by it but once we started using Tri-flo we
never looked back.

Air Impact Wrench amx Home Repair 4 August 10th 05 08:52 PM
Which portable impact wrench Jeff Home Repair 3 July 11th 05 02:43 PM
Best Cordless Impact Wrench Kit ever!!! Bob G. Woodworking 18 March 4th 05 08:27 PM
Panasonic 15.6volt Multi-tool Impact Wrench Drill/Driver pondria Woodworking 1 December 19th 04 09:47 PM
crack open a rusted nut with an impact wrench, from one tankof air? Bill Vajk Metalworking 0 August 7th 03 09:06 PM