DeepDiver

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
I needed a big impact, so I settled on the IR258. Anyway, the thing
calls for (noticed this AFTER I got home) Ingersoll-Rand #50 oil for the
impact lubricant. Do I actually NEED to use that specific oil, or do
you think I'll be OK with something like ATF? I have a lot of ATF.

I've heard of using Type-A ATF as a substitute for air tool lubrication oil
(in the air stream). But I can't imagine that ATF would be appropriate for
lubricating the impact mechanism.

Not that I have any problems with acquiring the IR oil,
I'm simply lazy and don't want to go out and get anything
that I don't have to.

Out of curiosity, just how much did that IR258 cost? A pretty penny I bet.
So why would you want to risk destroying your investment in a quality tool
by putting the wrong lubricant in it? I can perhaps understand such a
reckless attitude with cheap import air tools, but why did you opt for an
expensive IR tool if you're going to abuse it?

- Michael