Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Level vials

Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good old www.mcmaster.com
Page 2256 or search on 'tubular levels'

SteveB wrote:
Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

SteveB wrote:
Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Son of a gun. Cost more to ship than the item costs.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Son of a gun. Cost more to ship than the item costs.

Steve

Go to Walmart or an RV place. They have cheap levels that stick on. Pull
the vial out of one of those.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote:

om...

SteveB wrote:
Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Son of a gun. Cost more to ship than the item costs.

I usually keep a list of things I need from McMaster but don't need right this minute, it
makes it a bit more economical when something I need right now comes along since it all
comes in one box (most of the time).

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-13, Wes wrote:
"SteveB" wrote:

news:FYGdndeXqc6X4x7XnZ2dnUVZ_radnZ2d@earthlink. com...

SteveB wrote:
Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Son of a gun. Cost more to ship than the item costs.

I usually keep a list of things I need from McMaster but don't need right this minute, it
makes it a bit more economical when something I need right now comes along since it all
comes in one box (most of the time).

McMaster is very good about not deleting my shopping cart for a long
time, even if there is no activity in the cart. So I just put stuff
in the cart for a while, until I am ready to buy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-13, Wes wrote:

SteveB wrote:
Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Son of a gun. Cost more to ship than the item costs.

I usually keep a list of things I need from McMaster but don't need right
this minute, it
makes it a bit more economical when something I need right now comes
along since it all
comes in one box (most of the time).

McMaster is very good about not deleting my shopping cart for a long
time, even if there is no activity in the cart. So I just put stuff
in the cart for a while, until I am ready to buy.

Man, I gotta get one of the catalogs. Sounds like a lot of stuff I can use.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the lab we have a running order of standard McMaster supplies sitting
as a saved order on the McMaster site. When some student or faculty
comes in with a panic request, we can just add the item, hit send.
Package arrives at 10:30 the next morning. Order cut off time is
something like 6 or 7 PM. Gotta love it.

Wes wrote:

SteveB wrote:
Are they available anywhere? I busted one on an old piece of "stuff".

Steve

Son of a gun. Cost more to ship than the item costs.

I usually keep a list of things I need from McMaster but don't need right this minute, it
makes it a bit more economical when something I need right now comes along since it all
comes in one box (most of the time).

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 13, 10:31*am, RoyJ wrote:
In the lab we have a running order of standard McMaster supplies sitting
as a saved order on the McMaster site. When some student or faculty
comes in with a panic request, we can just add the item, hit send.
Package arrives at 10:30 the next morning. Order cut off time is
something like 6 or 7 PM. Gotta love it.

It's freaking incredible. I go to the McMaster-Carr website, start
searching for "gear puller", and even before I have it typed in the
catalog page is right in front of me with pictures of a bunch of
different models.

But the next step is pure magic: If you had told me when I was a kid,
that when I grew up and was much older that I could go to any
computer, hit a couple buttons, and a package with industrial/machine
supplies would arrive the next morning with what I needed, I would
tell you that was pure science fiction.

Some folks tell me they can get SAME DAY delivery from a nearby
McMaster-Carr on many orders. Now that's like the picture I had of how
the mailman worked when I was a kid: He picked up the letter I sent
and carried it straight to the address on the envelope :-).

Tim.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-13, SteveB wrote:

Man, I gotta get one of the catalogs. Sounds like a lot of stuff I can use.

They do not give them out, normally, except to big customers. But you
can buy one on ebay or something. I got one from a factory
liquidation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 "SteveB" wrote:
"Ignoramus8090" wrote in message

McMaster is very good about not deleting my shopping cart for a long
time, even if there is no activity in the cart. So I just put stuff
in the cart for a while, until I am ready to buy.

Man, I gotta get one of the catalogs. Sounds like a lot of stuff I can use.

Good luck...

You can beg and plead all you want, and you ain't gonna get one from
them just by asking. Not till you have ordered enough Stuff to
trigger some mystical threshhold in their computer, then they
magically start appearing and will keep coming forever.

Best bet to actually see one is to borrow an old copy from a local
friend who gets them annually. I have a #108 from 2002.

Till then, their online search functions are pretty good - you might
have to excercise your Google-Fu and ask for the same thing a few
diffferent ways, since they tend to not use trademarked names.

IIRC one such McM name game is "Star screw", not Torx® screw. L. H.
Dottie does it too.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-13, SteveB wrote:

Man, I gotta get one of the catalogs. Sounds like a lot of stuff I can
use.

They do not give them out, normally, except to big customers. But you
can buy one on ebay or something. I got one from a factory
liquidation.

Nowadays, we got the Internet, and don't have to use those big catalogs.
Dontcha love it?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-14, RoyJ wrote:
But the MSC site is a PAIN to use.

You are a master of understatement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The real pain is when I order some of the sprockets, need 10, they show
11 in stock. What they don't say is that those are in stock at 4
different warehouses, I will get 4 different shipments. And of course,
one of the warehouses has a bad inventory count so something gets back
ordered. We have to put all this small stuff on the corporate credit
card, reconcilliation means having all the packing info to back up the
credit card charge. Worst case is that 1 charge might have 6 to 10
packing slips.

I have an admin type who gets a manila folder full of paper on the 2nd
of the month.

On 2009-08-14, RoyJ wrote:
But the MSC site is a PAIN to use.

You are a master of understatement.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:32:07 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus8090
scrawled the following:

On 2009-08-14, RoyJ wrote:
But the MSC site is a PAIN to use.

You are a master of understatement.

What's so bad about it? I haven't bought there but I've searched.

--
If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the
thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

What's so bad about it? I haven't bought there but I've searched.

One of the major problems is that it doesn't follow a hierarchical
search method. When you finally "hit" on a keyword it knows, it just
starts listing items, instead of allowing you to rapidly and
reasonably narrow your search. In some instances, you have to wallow
through dozens or hundreds of items you don't want - in no particular
size or material order - just to get to the one item you do want. And
worse, many of the listing entries have no pictures, or are "not
catalog items".

On the other hand, McMaster's allows you to search in a "tree"
fashion, rapidly zeroing in on the _exact_ part you need -- in
seconds. Materials, sizes, configurations... all are presented in the
search selections, much to the relief of a harried and hurried
maintenance guy.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-08-14, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
OB One of the major problems is that it doesn't follow a hierarchical
search method. When you finally "hit" on a keyword it knows, it just
starts listing items, instead of allowing you to rapidly and
reasonably narrow your search. In some instances, you have to wallow
through dozens or hundreds of items you don't want - in no particular
size or material order - just to get to the one item you do want. And
worse, many of the listing entries have no pictures, or are "not
catalog items".

On the other hand, McMaster's allows you to search in a "tree"
fashion, rapidly zeroing in on the _exact_ part you need -- in
seconds. Materials, sizes, configurations... all are presented in the
search selections, much to the relief of a harried and hurried
maintenance guy.

What Lloyd said. Go to msc.com and type "cap screw". Then
go to McMaster and do the same. Then time yourself until you can find
a 2" long 3/8" NC SHCS.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

On the other hand, McMaster's allows you to search in a "tree"
fashion, rapidly zeroing in on the _exact_ part you need -- in
seconds. Materials, sizes, configurations... all are presented in the
search selections, much to the relief of a harried and hurried
maintenance guy.

Then you can forward your order via email to the nice lady in purchasing that will
actually order it where I work.

Wes