Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Very cool engine

Maybe everyone knows about this engine but me, but if not, this is a very
cool little piece of machinery worth looking into. It's the rotary-valve
4-stroke used in the Honeywell hovering drone that's being prepared for
field use by the US Army:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/bu...l?ref=business

It's built by a British company, RCV Engines Ltd., and it's amazingly
simple. They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper about it, with lots of
detail about the seals (for anyone who's followed rotary-valve engines over
the years, that's where most of the action is):

http://www.rcvengines.com/pdf_files/saepaper.pdf

It must be pretty darned reliable to be used in the drone, so this is more
than just another weird engine curiosity.

Here's RCV's home page. They make model engines, too:

http://www.rcvengines.com/index.htm

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
Maybe everyone knows about this engine but me, but if not, this is a very
cool little piece of machinery worth looking into. It's the rotary-valve
4-stroke used in the Honeywell hovering drone that's being prepared for
field use by the US Army:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/bu...l?ref=business

Wow! That *is* cool!
I wonder if the rotating cylinder is prepared with
a cross-hatch or an axial hone pattern?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 3:25*pm, Winston wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
Maybe everyone knows about this engine but me, but if not, this is a very
cool little piece of machinery worth looking into. It's the rotary-valve
4-stroke used in the Honeywell hovering drone that's being prepared for
field use by the US Army:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/bu...l?ref=business

Wow! That *is* cool!
I wonder if the rotating cylinder is prepared with
a cross-hatch or an axial hone pattern?

--Winston

And this is to be "almost" as cheap as a 2-stroke engine???

In whose dreams? Somebody got paid off.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote ...
: It's built by a British company, RCV Engines Ltd., and it's amazingly
: simple. They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper about it, with lots of
: detail about the seals (for anyone who's followed rotary-valve engines over
: the years, that's where most of the action is):
:
: http://www.rcvengines.com/pdf_files/saepaper.pdf

Interesting and clever spin on an old problem.

Correct me if I missed something but it appears that with the cylinder rotating
and the piston not rotating there will be a lot more friction between the piston
and cylinder. Furthermore, the piston rings will be spinning with the cylinder
and against the piston. These ring/piston friction points will be difficult to lube
and could be a serious reliability issue.
Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
Maybe everyone knows about this engine but me, but if not, this is a
very cool little piece of machinery worth looking into. It's the
rotary-valve 4-stroke used in the Honeywell hovering drone that's
being prepared for field use by the US Army:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/bu...l?ref=business

It's built by a British company, RCV Engines Ltd., and it's amazingly
simple. They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper about it, with
lots of detail about the seals (for anyone who's followed
rotary-valve engines over the years, that's where most of the action
is):

http://www.rcvengines.com/pdf_files/saepaper.pdf

It must be pretty darned reliable to be used in the drone, so this is
more than just another weird engine curiosity.

Here's RCV's home page. They make model engines, too:

http://www.rcvengines.com/index.htm

Reminds me a little of the Wankel design.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 4:14*pm, "Artemus" wrote:
"Ed Huntress" *wrote ...
: It's built by a British company, RCV Engines Ltd., and it's amazingly
: simple. They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper about it, with lots of
: detail about the seals (for anyone who's followed rotary-valve engines over
: the years, that's where most of the action is):
:
:http://www.rcvengines.com/pdf_files/saepaper.pdf

Interesting and clever spin on an old problem.

Correct me if I missed something but it appears that with the cylinder rotating
and the piston not rotating there will be a lot more friction between the piston
and cylinder. *Furthermore, the piston rings will be spinning with the cylinder
and against the piston. *These ring/piston friction points will be difficult to lube
and could be a serious reliability issue.
Art

An older spin on the problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Centaurus

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
An older spin on the problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Centaurus

That was WWII, RSV's are even older than that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_valve

"They saw use in some pre-World War II luxury cars, sports cars, the
Willys-Knight car and light truck, ..."

Never heard of it,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:50:43 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

It's built by a British company, RCV Engines Ltd., and it's amazingly
simple. They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper about it, with lots of
detail about the seals (for anyone who's followed rotary-valve engines over
the years, that's where most of the action is):

http://www.rcvengines.com/pdf_files/saepaper.pdf

Hmm, just looks like a variant of the Aspin engine to me. Nice to see pre-war
technology come back to life...

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

It's built by a British company, RCV Engines Ltd., and it's amazingly
simple. They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper about it, with lots
of
detail about the seals (for anyone who's followed rotary-valve engines
over
the years, that's where most of the action is):

http://www.rcvengines.com/pdf_files/saepaper.pdf

Hmm, just looks like a variant of the Aspin engine to me. Nice to see
pre-war
technology come back to life...

Mark Rand
RTFM

There have been a lot of rotary-valve engines over the past century, but
they never get very far in the competition with poppet-valve engines. This
one looks particularly interesting. If they really have the seal and wear
problems solved, I'd like to know more about it.

The one used in the little drone is interesting, too, because it's a 60cc
spark-ignition engine that runs on JP-8 and produces 4.6 hp. I doubt if
there's another commercially available engine that will do that.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
An older spin on the problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Centaurus

That was WWII, RSV's are even older than that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_valve

"They saw use in some pre-World War II luxury cars, sports cars, the
Willys-Knight car and light truck, ..."

Never heard of it,
Bob

Willys-Knight. That was a sliding valve. A plate that slid back to open up
the port. My Kawasaki 350 2 cyl and the 500cc 3 cyl had an actual rotating
disk with a lot for the valve as opposed to reeds. This engine looks more
like a wankle with a fixed piston and the cylinder revolves instead of the
piston. The early Wankle was a very powerful engine in a small package.
Emissions sucked as ran hotter than a standard engine. So they sprayed oil
on the inside the rotary piston to cool it. Early ones had tip and end seal
problems, but those were corrected with good materials science. This engine
seems to have a fixed opening in the end of the cylinder and works during
the normal rotation, not and extra driven disk like the Kawasaki. Kawa's
disk was a fiber disk and when it comes apart at 70 mph, it totals the
engine. Been there, got the tee shirt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
Maybe everyone knows about this engine but me, but if not, this is a very
cool little piece of machinery worth looking into. It's the rotary-valve
4-stroke used in the Honeywell hovering drone that's being prepared for
field use by the US Army:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/bu...l?ref=business

Wow! That *is* cool!
I wonder if the rotating cylinder is prepared with
a cross-hatch or an axial hone pattern?

--Winston

Dunno. Rotary-valve engines usually have a sort of inverted cup in the
combustion chamber, which contains the ports. There have been some other
engines with the ports in a rotating cylinder, but I've never studied them
in any detail.

They can produce a lot of power, but they usually have sealing problems and
wear problems. That's why this one looks interesting. It sounds as if
they've solved them.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
Maybe everyone knows about this engine but me, but if not, this is a
very
cool little piece of machinery worth looking into. It's the rotary-valve
4-stroke used in the Honeywell hovering drone that's being prepared for
field use by the US Army:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/bu...l?ref=business

Wow! That *is* cool!
I wonder if the rotating cylinder is prepared with
a cross-hatch or an axial hone pattern?

--Winston

And this is to be "almost" as cheap as a 2-stroke engine???

In whose dreams? Somebody got paid off.

Wolfgang

Their Type 58 model engine is $209:

http://www.hobbyhorse.com/rcv.shtml

The number of moving parts is less than in a poppet-valve 4-stroke. I don't
see anything in there that looks expensive, although the clearances look
pretty critical.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Artemus" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote ...
[...]

Apparently they've held up well in Honeywell's tests, and the fuel
efficiency is much higher than a two-stroke. So the friction doesn't seem to
be an issue in practice.

I've been reading about this engine in various places and the two reasons it
seems to have been chosen are that it has a power-to-weight ratio close to
that of a two-stroke, and it will run on JP-8.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Maybe everyone knows about this engine but me, but if not, this is a very
cool little piece of machinery worth looking into. It's the rotary-valve
4-stroke used in the Honeywell hovering drone that's being prepared for
field use by the US Army:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/bu...l?ref=business

It's built by a British company, RCV Engines Ltd., and it's amazingly
simple. They've made available a 7-year-old SAE paper about it, with lots of
detail about the seals (for anyone who's followed rotary-valve engines over
the years, that's where most of the action is):

http://www.rcvengines.com/pdf_files/saepaper.pdf

It must be pretty darned reliable to be used in the drone, so this is more
than just another weird engine curiosity.

Here's RCV's home page. They make model engines, too:

http://www.rcvengines.com/index.htm

I saw that in the lab and they flew it once at lunchtime a few years
ago.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'd really like to see one run -- not that you could tell much by watching
it, but I'd like to see it anyway.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 1:50 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
It must be pretty darned reliable to be used in the drone, so this is more
than just another weird engine curiosity.

I think I disagree with your logic. Some of the reasons you use drones
are because they are relatively cheap, and because they don't contain
a human. That means you can get away with things that would be
considered unsafe/unreliable in a manned aircraft... Plus, if the
engines really are "cheap" they may not mind if they have to replace
them after every 20 hours of operation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry The Snake Guy" wrote in message
On Aug 12, 1:50 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
It must be pretty darned reliable to be used in the drone, so this is
more
than just another weird engine curiosity.

I think I disagree with your logic. Some of the reasons you use drones
are because they are relatively cheap, and because they don't contain
a human. That means you can get away with things that would be
considered unsafe/unreliable in a manned aircraft... Plus, if the
engines really are "cheap" they may not mind if they have to replace
them after every 20 hours of operation.

I doubt if the drone is cheap enough to justify a "cheap" engine. And a
quirky engine isn't likely to make it past Honeywell, who is betting on its
performance and reliability for the sake of the nice government contract
they have for the whole device.

So, while not having to worry about human life eases the demand for engine
reliability, it's still up against all of that conventional competition,
which is well-proven and reliable.

All in all, it looks like a situation in which the engine is being taken
seriously by serious people.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:09:23 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Just like I would like to see the Napier Sabre engine running, just to
say I'd seen one running, likewise the big four bank radial, or the 24
cylinder "W" Allison.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The most impressive small engine I've ever seen run was a small turbojet in a
RC model.

It turned something over 100,000 rpm and the harmonics were amazing!

sounded like something between a wailing banshee and the warning horn for the
end of time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The most impressive small engine I've ever seen run was a small turbojet
in a
RC model.

It turned something over 100,000 rpm and the harmonics were amazing!

sounded like something between a wailing banshee and the warning horn for
the
end of time.

Do they still use any pulse jets in models? I was around 6 years old, which
would have been 1954, when I saw a control-line speed event with pulse jets.

I can still remember the pain in my ears and the vibration like it was
yesterday. My God, those things are loud.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The most impressive small engine I've ever seen run was a small turbojet
in a
RC model.

It turned something over 100,000 rpm and the harmonics were amazing!

sounded like something between a wailing banshee and the warning horn for
the
end of time.

Do they still use any pulse jets in models? I was around 6 years old, which
would have been 1954, when I saw a control-line speed event with pulse jets.

I can still remember the pain in my ears and the vibration like it was
yesterday. My God, those things are loud.

--
Ed Huntress

I remember one of those from when I was a child (middle of last century).
They were *loud*.
I haven't seen one since.

There are a few Jetex sites up even today.
That's a slow burning solid fuel rocket engine.
I've thought about playing with those.
There are cheap enough - if you can get them.

But the jet was just plain eerie...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:12:26 -0500, cavelamb wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Jet-X engines were revived a few years back, and there's a new one out --
"Rapier" -- that is of different construction (it's not a cannister with
naked fuel pellets, but more like an integrated rocket engine with the
fuel in a cardboard tube, AFAIK).

A little bit of web searching goes a long way...

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:12:26 -0500, cavelamb wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

That's the one. Couldn't remember the new name.
Jetex has a brain cell of it's own - since about 6 years old.

I have a dozen or more plans for Rapier / Jetex power.
Maybe some day...

I still have fun with basic rubber band power.
They make no noise at all - other than the laughter of the kids
(of all ages)

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Yeah, I had several Jetexes. The actually were rockets, with come kind of
oxidizer in the fuel pellets. They were heavy little suckers but they were
reliable. I made a balsa glider powered with one and it burned up
spectacularly at about 100 feet of altitutde.

I also used one on a little three-runner sled I made when I was about 11,
which I ran on the pond next to my house. It was fast. My buddy lashed an
Estes model rocket onto it and drove it through the side of his garage. d8-)

But the jet was just plain eerie...

I've been hearing about these miniature turbojets and they sound like
amazing pieces of work.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If you ever get a chance to see one run, take ear plugs AND muffs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Or the 16-cylinder 1.5-liter W BRM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Ed,
I am a gearhead and I never heard of this either, but I spent some time in
studying this in detail and it is amazing and yet simple, although the
seal IS seriously high tech. The seal screams for a ceramic solution and
they are keeping that solution in reserve. I think this holds incredible
potential in performance, fuel efficiency and cost. I think you will see
these next in outboard motors. Multi-cylinder variations are some ways
down the road, but I see those problems being addressed in the future
economically as well.
Steve

Yeah, if they have a rotary-valve solution that seals tight, that's not too
expensive, and that really lasts, it could be a very big deal.

--
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

If you ever get a chance to see one run, take ear plugs AND muffs.

One of the fellows at work saw the UAV in question this morning. It's a
screamer. The characterization was gargantuan leaf blower.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

At a tractor show in Caledonia, ON. some years ago, a guy had a radial
diesel tank engine - impressive.
At the same show, someone had an X-8 flat head, water cooled aircraft
engine supposedly an experimental Ford product. It was mostly a rusty
lump of cast iron, nowhere near having any moving parts; I have never
found any further information on this particular engine.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Was that the Caterpillar corncob engine from WWII? My father-in-law worked
on that. It was a great engine, but it had so much torque that it kept
twisting off the transmission input shafts, so it wasn't used.

At the same show, someone had an X-8 flat head, water cooled aircraft
engine supposedly an experimental Ford product. It was mostly a rusty
lump of cast iron, nowhere near having any moving parts; I have never
found any further information on this particular engine.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 21:06:52 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

At a tractor show in Caledonia, ON. some years ago, a guy had a radial
diesel tank engine - impressive.

Was that the Caterpillar corncob engine from WWII? My father-in-law worked
on that. It was a great engine, but it had so much torque that it kept
twisting off the transmission input shafts, so it wasn't used.

At the same show, someone had an X-8 flat head, water cooled aircraft
engine supposedly an experimental Ford product. It was mostly a rusty
lump of cast iron, nowhere near having any moving parts; I have never
found any further information on this particular engine.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Sorry but I don't recall many details other than it was somewhere
around 6 feet in diameter. This was around 1980.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

One room cool and other oom not that much cool [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 24th 07 02:42 AM
cool!!!!!!!!!!!! aviel571 Home Repair 0 March 21st 07 05:59 PM
How to separate engine case on 5hp horizontal Briggs engine [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 31st 06 12:03 AM
really cool... velvet_storm1 Home Repair 4 October 8th 06 08:28 PM
cool-crete or cool-deck reader Home Repair 2 March 14th 05 05:32 PM