Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Very cool engine

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
The most impressive small engine I've ever seen run was a small turbojet
in a
RC model.

It turned something over 100,000 rpm and the harmonics were amazing!

sounded like something between a wailing banshee and the warning horn
for the
end of time.

Do they still use any pulse jets in models? I was around 6 years old,
which would have been 1954, when I saw a control-line speed event with
pulse jets.

I can still remember the pain in my ears and the vibration like it was
yesterday. My God, those things are loud.

--
Ed Huntress

I remember one of those from when I was a child (middle of last century).
They were *loud*.
I haven't seen one since.

There are a few Jetex sites up even today.
That's a slow burning solid fuel rocket engine.
I've thought about playing with those.
There are cheap enough - if you can get them.

Yeah, I had several Jetexes. The actually were rockets, with come kind of
oxidizer in the fuel pellets. They were heavy little suckers but they were
reliable. I made a balsa glider powered with one and it burned up
spectacularly at about 100 feet of altitutde.

I also used one on a little three-runner sled I made when I was about 11,
which I ran on the pond next to my house. It was fast. My buddy lashed an
Estes model rocket onto it and drove it through the side of his garage. d8-)

But the jet was just plain eerie...

I've been hearing about these miniature turbojets and they sound like
amazing pieces of work.

--
Ed Huntress