Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Epoxy coatings

I'm about to paint my plasma table.

Looking at getting epoxy primer, McMaster # 7829T12 and epoxy paint 7829T3.
The primer has 61% zinc, good for water tank. McMaster claims epoxy has
better wear and abrasion - sounds good to me.

Are these good choices? I've never spray painted with epoxy, any special
procedures? Do you thin the paint? And one simple question does everything
clean up with mineral spirits?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm about to paint my plasma table.

Looking at getting epoxy primer, McMaster # 7829T12 and epoxy paint
7829T3. The primer has 61% zinc, good for water tank. McMaster claims
epoxy has better wear and abrasion - sounds good to me.

Are these good choices? I've never spray painted with epoxy, any special
procedures? Do you thin the paint? And one simple question does everything
clean up with mineral spirits?

Karl

Go to a good automotive paint store and tell them what you are spraying and
they will get you the correct filter mask. Some are a one time use. Most
epoxy or additive paints can be really nasty.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:38:17 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I'm about to paint my plasma table.

Looking at getting epoxy primer, McMaster # 7829T12 and epoxy paint 7829T3.
The primer has 61% zinc, good for water tank. McMaster claims epoxy has
better wear and abrasion - sounds good to me.

Are these good choices? I've never spray painted with epoxy, any special
procedures? Do you thin the paint? And one simple question does everything
clean up with mineral spirits?

I don't know about those particular paints. I've used a fair amount of
Rustoleum epoxy with good results, but the one I have most experience
with has been discontinued due to VOC regs. Grainger carries the
Rustoleum line and has a lot more information in their catalog and a
wider selection than McMaster. I believe they carried an epoxy
formualated specifically for water tanks.

The reducer I was using for spraying was specific to the paint and
pricey. Xylene is cheaper and worked just as well for cleanup, but
this may not be applicable for the new reduced VOC paints.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm about to paint my plasma table.

Looking at getting epoxy primer, McMaster # 7829T12 and epoxy paint 7829T3.
The primer has 61% zinc, good for water tank. McMaster claims epoxy has
better wear and abrasion - sounds good to me.

Are these good choices? I've never spray painted with epoxy, any special
procedures? Do you thin the paint? And one simple question does everything
clean up with mineral spirits?

Karl

I can't get the McMaster site to work so I can't check out the cited
materials. Whether you must thin (and how much) depends on your spray
equipment. Commonly-used thinners (reducers) are lacquer thinner,
toluol and xylol.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

[...]

I'd second the motion on Rustoleum. I have had very good luck with it for
years. If I wanted something more for a wet table, I would check in to
silicone based roof coatings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:38:17 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Do you thin the paint?

Just remember what happened to Ole!

Ole was painting the church and doin' OK, but noticed that he was
getting low on paint when he still had the whole steeple to do. He
thought maybe if he thinned the paint it'd go further so he coudl
finish the job without having to buy more paint.

He was almost finished with the steeple when the sky got very dark,
thunder boomed and lightning flashed and a loud deep voice rumbled:

Ole! Repaint and thin no more!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 29, 7:38*pm, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I'm about to paint my plasma table.

Looking at getting epoxy primer, McMaster # 7829T12 and epoxy paint 7829T3.
The primer has 61% zinc, good for water tank. McMaster claims epoxy has
better wear and abrasion - sounds good to me.

Are these good choices? I've never spray painted with epoxy, any special
procedures? Do you thin the paint? And one simple question does everything
clean up with mineral spirits?

Karl

Have a look at Zinga, I have used many different coatings and nothing
compares to Zinga for durability, rust prevention, ease of use...
http://www.zingacanada.com/
It is available in the USA as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'm about to paint my plasma table.

Looking at getting epoxy primer, McMaster # 7829T12 and epoxy paint 7829T3.
The primer has 61% zinc, good for water tank. McMaster claims epoxy has
better wear and abrasion - sounds good to me.

Are these good choices? I've never spray painted with epoxy, any special
procedures? Do you thin the paint? And one simple question does everything
clean up with mineral spirits?

Karl

Back in wideband land. This stuff is made by Dynamis, Inc. Thin with
lacquer thinner. Clean up with acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK or
zylene. Do not allow material to set up in spray equipment.

Pot life after mixing is about 2 hours. It's a good idea to wait 30
minutes after mixing and stir again before shooting.

I would not use an expensive spray gun with this stuff. It isn't
necessary. The $19.95 job from HF will work fine.

Shop floor epoxy coatings stryped[_3_] Metalworking 15 July 26th 09 06:17 PM
Flashing Coatings? frank1492 Home Repair 0 August 23rd 06 03:46 PM
coatings for cinderblock Rees Home Repair 1 July 2nd 06 12:30 PM
End coatings QWeaver Woodworking 8 December 16th 05 05:48 PM
Does fresh epoxy stick to dried epoxy? Icepick Woodworking 14 April 23rd 05 04:06 AM