Posted to rec.woodworking
QWeaver

Default End coatings

I remember from a woodworking class back in the 60s that at one time
ethylene glycol (antifreeze)was used to prevent checking in the end grain of
fresh sawn lumber. I have been using it on poplar that I have been sawing
all summer and it seem to work OK, but I still get some cracking, especially
in one inch boards, and wonder what the best/economical/readily available
product is. I can buy antifreeze anywhere but I'll have to order and wait
on shipping for another product.
TIA
QL

Posted to rec.woodworking
no(SPAM)vasys

QWeaver wrote:
I remember from a woodworking class back in the 60s that at one time
ethylene glycol (antifreeze)was used to prevent checking in the end grain of
fresh sawn lumber. I have been using it on poplar that I have been sawing
all summer and it seem to work OK, but I still get some cracking, especially
in one inch boards, and wonder what the best/economical/readily available
product is. I can buy antifreeze anywhere but I'll have to order and wait
on shipping for another product.
TIA
QL

AnchorSeal from U. C. Coatings.

https://www.uccoatings.com/uccoat.php

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:33:09 GMT, "QWeaver" wrote:

I remember from a woodworking class back in the 60s that at one time
ethylene glycol (antifreeze)was used to prevent checking in the end grain of
fresh sawn lumber.

Poly (*) glycols of high molecular weight. Polyethylene glycol or
increasingly polypropylene glycol. Monomer glycols (e.g. antifreeze)
are useless.

Secondly this is an immobile substitute for water, not an end sealer. If
you just want to seal the end grain to reduce drying speed then use
something mor eimpermeable instead. Best is probably an emulsified wax
like Endseal or Anchorseal.

Posted to rec.woodworking
vdubbs

Go to one of the Borgs and buy miss mixed latex paint, $5 per gallon or
less. This stuff can be used for loads of things that you don't care
what the color is.

Posted to rec.woodworking
butch burton

FWIW - antifreeze is very nasty stuff to have around - animals will
lick it cause it tastes sweet - destroys their nervous system - gets
into drinking water when filtering through the earth. May take a few
years but this stuff is bad news. Worked on a project building a
schooner in Milwaukee - our mast stock was coated with a heavy wax like
substance which was very similiar to paraffin - worked well apparently.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger King

I use a mix of parafin and turpentine (paint thinner). heat and mix, thin
enough to brush on while warm, and let it set. I have several cedar planks
that I sealed this way and got no checking at all.

"QWeaver" wrote in message
I remember from a woodworking class back in the 60s that at one time
ethylene glycol (antifreeze)was used to prevent checking in the end grain
of fresh sawn lumber. I have been using it on poplar that I have been
sawing all summer and it seem to work OK, but I still get some cracking,
especially in one inch boards, and wonder what the best/economical/readily
available product is. I can buy antifreeze anywhere but I'll have to order
and wait on shipping for another product.
TIA
QL

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On 15 Dec 2005 13:02:22 -0800, "butch burton"
wrote:

FWIW - antifreeze is very nasty stuff to have around - animals will
lick it cause it tastes sweet - destroys their nervous system -

That's a good warning. There are propylene glycol antifreezes though
that are much safer for this, rather than the ethylene glycols.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Brophy

wrote:

FWIW - antifreeze is very nasty stuff to have around - animals will
lick it cause it tastes sweet - destroys their nervous system -

That's a good warning. There are propylene glycol antifreezes though
that are much safer for this, rather than the ethylene glycols.

I have had good luck using a liquid made of mineral spirits or
turpentine with parafin wax disolved in it by heating. The parafin
will stay disolved in the solvent even after cooling. When the mix is
painted on the end cut the solvent evaporates leaving a parafin seal.
I have used up to a 60/40 mix of solvent/parafin with good results.
Obviously be very careful when heatng the mixture as it is flammable.