Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Default End coatings

I used a can of left over melamine paint and it worked very well. Cheers, JG

QWeaver wrote:

I remember from a woodworking class back in the 60s that at one time
ethylene glycol (antifreeze)was used to prevent checking in the end grain of
fresh sawn lumber. I have been using it on poplar that I have been sawing
all summer and it seem to work OK, but I still get some cracking, especially
in one inch boards, and wonder what the best/economical/readily available
product is. I can buy antifreeze anywhere but I'll have to order and wait
on shipping for another product.
TIA
QL