Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What should be dimension of press fit on this shaft?

Our "engineer" bought a bearing and bar of precision ground rod. It
easily slipped through the bearing and since it had screws to lock it
down all was find untill. Untill i read the literature that came with
the bearing and it said to have a "Press Fit" if using their bearing
for "heavey loads" I just guessed that the 6,000 + lbs we were going
to support qualified. After doing some calculations our "engineer"
said i was right.
So he ordered some bar stock that has to be machined.
I told him to look it up in Machinerys Handbook for the tolerance
but he got it all wrong. When i tried to find it in there i found the
newer additions were a little confusing. So all i want to know is if
our bearing is 1.5000 what should the shaft be turned down to. The
width of bearing is about two inches.
Thanks
Rosco
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If the ground stock is within a thousanth or so of 1.500" you can lock
the bearing to the shaft with Loctite bearing compound, available at
most hardware and auto supply stores.

Engineman

On Jul 27, 3:24�pm, Butter wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Butter" wrote in message
[...]

I had a high-speed shaper with 1.5" shaft and 2 matched Barden bearings on
one end. We made the shaft about .00025" - .0005" big (depending on the
temp) We heated the bearings on a lightbulb and seated them with a length
of tube and a hammer. I have since sold the shaper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Butter wrote:

Our "engineer" bought a bearing and bar of precision ground rod. It
easily slipped through the bearing and since it had screws to lock it
down all was find untill. Untill i read the literature that came with
the bearing and it said to have a "Press Fit" if using their bearing
for "heavey loads" I just guessed that the 6,000 + lbs we were going
to support qualified. After doing some calculations our "engineer"
said i was right.

Did the bearing manual have information on the amount of interference? The reason I am
asking is a press fit is going to reduce the internal clearance of the bearing. That
isn't a bad thing since it may cause more rolling elements to support your load.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 28, 4:28*pm, Wes wrote:
Butter wrote:
Our "engineer" bought a bearing and bar of precision ground rod. It
easily slipped through the bearing and since it had screws to lock it
down all was *find untill. Untill i read the literature that came with
the bearing and it said to have a "Press Fit" if using their bearing
for "heavey loads" I just guessed that the 6,000 + lbs we were going
to support qualified. After doing some calculations our "engineer"
said i was right.

Did the bearing manual have information on the amount of interference? *The reason I am
asking is a press fit is going to reduce the internal clearance of the bearing. *That
isn't a bad thing since it may cause more rolling elements to support your load.

Wes

The info with the bearing only mentioned to use a presss fit if used
with a heavy load. I'm going to make shaft .001 over and that seems
about right.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 28, 8:24 am, Butter wrote:
Untill i read the literature that came with
the bearing and it said to have a "Press Fit" if using their bearing
for "heavey loads"

Rosco - theres a chart in my school textbook giving all this info
(including type of fit) - if it scans ok, happy to email you a copy.
(I learnt it, not saying I remember it...)
Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
On Jul 28, 8:24 am, Butter wrote:
Untill i read the literature that came with
the bearing and it said to have a "Press Fit" if using their bearing
for "heavey loads"

Rosco - theres a chart in my school textbook giving all this info
(including type of fit) - if it scans ok, happy to email you a copy.
(I learnt it, not saying I remember it...)
Andrew VK3BFA.

Andrew: I would love to have a copy of it. Presently looking to re-design
a transmission for my helicopter and that information would be highly
desirable.
Stu Fields

shed dimension [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 23rd 09 11:18 AM
Dimension printer Stupendous Man Metalworking 0 February 28th 09 05:34 PM
Pipe dimension RoyJ Metalworking 13 October 30th 08 12:45 AM
Bridgeport dimension GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 40 October 24th 08 07:03 AM
Decimal dimension help [email protected] Woodworking 9 July 15th 05 03:10 AM