Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shed dimension

Here is a silly question. I am planning on building a 12'x16' shed
with 1/2" OSB sheathing. When I build the frame, should the actual
dimensions be 12'x16' or should it be 1 inch less in each dimension to
account for the 1 inch of OSB? Thanks for the help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 2:53*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 14:44:20 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Fri, 22 May 2009 11:13:18 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Here is a silly question. *I am planning on building a 12'x16' shed
with 1/2" OSB sheathing. *When I build the frame, should the actual
dimensions be 12'x16' or should it be 1 inch less in each dimension to
account for the 1 inch of OSB? *Thanks for the help.

What do your blueprints say?g

Keep in mind that when you go to sheath the roof life is easier if you
can use full sheets or trim them slightly. * Sheathing a roof that is
8'4" x 16' 6" is a royal PITA.

I'm sure there are plans online that will eliminate a lot of re-doing
as you work.

Jim

And in MOST places, a shed that size requires a permit. 100 sq ft is
the maximum without a permit around here.- Hide quoted text -

I do need a permit. That is why the question came up. I am trying to
make a drawing to submit to the building inspector. In the past I
have done interior framing and always account for the drywall when
planning dimensions. So I was unsure if common practice is to make
the frame to the stated dimension, or should the dimensions describe
the full size with wall sheathing.

My original post might have been unclear, but I was referring to
sheathing the siding, not the roof.

Thanks,
Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news

BTW if you want a set of engineered plans for a 12 x 16 shed (and a
couple other sizes) most Florida building departments have them for
free.
http://www3.leegov.com/dcd/BuildingS...ShedAppReq.htm

So the whole thing is you pay about $ 150 worth of permits for the building.
What a money maker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here is a silly question. I am planning on building a 12'x16' shed
with 1/2" OSB sheathing. When I build the frame, should the actual
dimensions be 12'x16' or should it be 1 inch less in each dimension to
account for the 1 inch of OSB? Thanks for the help.

You're in luck; this was a topic at last night's Habitat for Humanity
volunteer meeting.

The measurement is 12 (or 16) feet, outside to outside of the corner
studs.

Start with the edge of the sheathing even with the edge of the corner
stud. Measure over four feet. This is the _center_ of a stud. Now
measure over eight feet. That, again, is the _center_ of a stud.

The tendency is to put the _edge_ of a stud at the 4- and 8-foot marks,
because, after all, the studs go every 16 or 24 inches, right? If you
do that, you wind up with the edge of the sheathing floating right
*next to* the stud.

The important studs are the ones at 4- and 8-foot intervals. All the
rest just need to be spaced at 16 inches, more or less.

Note: The sheathing will not form a butt joint at the wall corners.
That's OK--it'll all be covered by siding and trim.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2009 17:18:39 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
BTW if you want a set of engineered plans for a 12 x 16 shed (and a
couple other sizes) most Florida building departments have them for
free.
http://www3.leegov.com/dcd/BuildingS...ShedAppReq.htm

So the whole thing is you pay about $ 150 worth of permits for the building.
What a money maker.

There is so much bureaucracy in the process I doubt they actually make
a dime.

hey, the people in the permit office have to eat, too.

--
aem sends...

Dimension printer Stupendous Man Metalworking 0 February 28th 09 05:34 PM
Pipe dimension RoyJ Metalworking 13 October 30th 08 12:45 AM
Bridgeport dimension GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 40 October 24th 08 07:03 AM
Lumber Dimension Terminology Oregon Woodworking 11 February 23rd 06 10:40 AM
Decimal dimension help [email protected] Woodworking 9 July 15th 05 03:10 AM