Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Butter Butter is offline

Default What should be dimension of press fit on this shaft?

On Jul 28, 4:28*pm, Wes wrote:
Butter wrote:
Our "engineer" bought a bearing and bar of precision ground rod. It
easily slipped through the bearing and since it had screws to lock it
down all was *find untill. Untill i read the literature that came with
the bearing and it said to have a "Press Fit" if using their bearing
for "heavey loads" I just guessed that the 6,000 + lbs we were going
to support qualified. After doing some calculations our "engineer"
said i was right.

Did the bearing manual have information on the amount of interference? *The reason I am
asking is a press fit is going to reduce the internal clearance of the bearing. *That
isn't a bad thing since it may cause more rolling elements to support your load.

Wes

The info with the bearing only mentioned to use a presss fit if used
with a heavy load. I'm going to make shaft .001 over and that seems
about right.