Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding a parting blade

I got a small parting blade in Vancouver last week: It has a 'V'
cross-section with the top 0.057" and the bottom 0.048". It is 5/16" wide.
The question is: How do you hold it to work? I assume that the 'V' should be
vertical to provide clearance on both sides but to mount it like that
requires some tricky arrangements. I tried to look for a holder that would
do that but could not find one.

I can see how having the 'V' tilted so that one side of the 'V' is vertical
would be easier to do but would it work right? I understand now why the 'T'
shaped tools are easier to deal with.

I would like to use the blade in a rear tool post on the Taig which brings
up another issue: If you try to grind a top rake on the blade and clip the
point even slightly the point is going to be *above* the center and I cannot
see how this can be corrected by shims as in a front tool post.

None of the literature available to me nor the web searches have helped so
far.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
[...]

Not to invent the wheel, but I bought a parting tool that works with carbide
inserts and has a flat blade that is easy to mount. Spoiled now and would
never go back. Carbide insert parting tools are very nice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic wrote:

[...]

They make holders for these tapered parting blades. The one I bought
from Grizzly (P/N H5904) handles a 0.75" high blade, but I'm sure other
sizes are available.

The slot into which the blade sits is angled just a bit so that the V
will sit (nearly) vertical, giving similar side clearances in a cut. It
probably doesn't have to be exactly straight, just close.

Mine is designed for a front tool post, so it'll center up with the work
easily with a few shims. I'm sure the rear tool post type must be
different, and may have to be built to suit your particular
configuration. But then, its not unusual to spend as much time building
jigs and tools as one spends making the final product.

--
Paul Hovnanian
~{po ~poz~ppo\anks for hanging up the phone, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-23, Michael Koblic wrote:
I got a small parting blade in Vancouver last week: It has a 'V'
cross-section with the top 0.057" and the bottom 0.048". It is 5/16" wide.
The question is: How do you hold it to work? I assume that the 'V' should be
vertical to provide clearance on both sides but to mount it like that
requires some tricky arrangements. I tried to look for a holder that would
do that but could not find one.

I can see how having the 'V' tilted so that one side of the 'V' is vertical
would be easier to do but would it work right? I understand now why the 'T'
shaped tools are easier to deal with.

The slot into which it mounts should have a tilted side equal to
half the included angle of the blade.

Without that -- you can put a thin strip of shim stock ((0.057 -
0.048)/2) or 0.0045" thick near the bottom to set the angle. Make the
width of the stock less than 1/4 the height of the blade, and round off
to the nearest lower thousandth, so go for 0.004" shim stock. 5/16
divided by 4 is 0.0781", so aim for about 1/16" wide by at least as long
as the slot in the holder. A bit longer will let you fold the ends over
to keep it from sliding as you slide the blade to adjust stick-out.

I would like to use the blade in a rear tool post on the Taig which brings
up another issue: If you try to grind a top rake on the blade and clip the
point even slightly the point is going to be *above* the center and I cannot
see how this can be corrected by shims as in a front tool post.

Since the Taig does not have a reverse switch, and it has a
rather small threaded spindle to make running in reverse somewhat
dangerous, you want to run forward and cut on the bottom side of the
blade, not the top, so I guess that it is a bottom rake. :-)

Make the holder to provide an automatic rake without having to
grind, just as the quick-change holders for the Aloris toolposts and
clones have. Ideally, you want to make a way to slide the holder up and
down the post to set the tip height for different degrees of blade
extension and then lock it firmly. A dovetail on the post and a gib on
the holder might work well.

None of the literature available to me nor the web searches have helped so
far.

Does the above help any? Not everything is on the web. :-) Get
in the habit of thinking of ways to overcome your problems and you will
have to ask fewer questions over time -- and will be able to answer some
of the questions of others.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

The slot into which it mounts should have a tilted side equal to
half the included angle of the blade.

That's what I was afraid of.

[...]

I believe the correct term is "top rake on the bottom" :-) If you cut truly
with the bottom of the blade you would be cutting with the narrow part of
the 'V'. Unless, perhaps, in Australia...

Make the holder to provide an automatic rake without having to
grind, just as the quick-change holders for the Aloris toolposts and
clones have. Ideally, you want to make a way to slide the holder up and
down the post to set the tip height for different degrees of blade
extension and then lock it firmly. A dovetail on the post and a gib on
the holder might work well.

None of the literature available to me nor the web searches have helped
so
far.

Does the above help any?

Oh yes. I have some other thoughts, too. They are too Rube Goldbergish to
describe here. If they work I shall photograph and post.

Not everything is on the web. :-) Get
in the habit of thinking of ways to overcome your problems and you will
have to ask fewer questions over time -- and will be able to answer some
of the questions of others.

I tried that the other day. The result was something I call "the wheel"...

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-23, Michael Koblic wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

The slot into which it mounts should have a tilted side equal to
half the included angle of the blade.

That's what I was afraid of.

It is not that bad.

[ ... ]

I would like to use the blade in a rear tool post on the Taig which
brings
up another issue: If you try to grind a top rake on the blade and clip
the
point even slightly the point is going to be *above* the center and I
cannot
see how this can be corrected by shims as in a front tool post.

Since the Taig does not have a reverse switch, and it has a
rather small threaded spindle to make running in reverse somewhat
dangerous, you want to run forward and cut on the bottom side of the
blade, not the top, so I guess that it is a bottom rake. :-)

I believe the correct term is "top rake on the bottom" :-) If you cut truly
with the bottom of the blade you would be cutting with the narrow part of
the 'V'. Unless, perhaps, in Australia...

Well ... I'm referring to "the bottom" as defined by gravity,
not by the manufacturer's intended orientation. :-) Of course you cut
with the wider part, and the narrower provides relief.

[ ... ]

Does the above help any?

Oh yes. I have some other thoughts, too. They are too Rube Goldbergish to
describe here. If they work I shall photograph and post.

If they work -- that is what matters.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Trepanning and Parting Off Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 43 May 10th 08 05:08 PM
Chatter while parting off. Dom[_2_] Metalworking 39 November 6th 07 06:25 PM
Bandsaw blade for 6061 Al alloy? What's a good blade size to buy? Eddie Metalworking 2 July 18th 05 08:27 AM
Parting off Dennis Shinn Metalworking 9 June 6th 05 06:09 AM
Parting (toolsteel?) Greg Menke Metalworking 1 January 26th 04 09:20 PM