Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Holding a parting blade

I got a small parting blade in Vancouver last week: It has a 'V'
cross-section with the top 0.057" and the bottom 0.048". It is 5/16" wide.
The question is: How do you hold it to work? I assume that the 'V' should be
vertical to provide clearance on both sides but to mount it like that
requires some tricky arrangements. I tried to look for a holder that would
do that but could not find one.

I can see how having the 'V' tilted so that one side of the 'V' is vertical
would be easier to do but would it work right? I understand now why the 'T'
shaped tools are easier to deal with.

I would like to use the blade in a rear tool post on the Taig which brings
up another issue: If you try to grind a top rake on the blade and clip the
point even slightly the point is going to be *above* the center and I cannot
see how this can be corrected by shims as in a front tool post.

None of the literature available to me nor the web searches have helped so
far.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Trepanning and Parting Off Joseph Gwinn Metalworking 43 May 10th 08 05:08 PM
Chatter while parting off. Dom[_2_] Metalworking 39 November 6th 07 06:25 PM
Bandsaw blade for 6061 Al alloy? What's a good blade size to buy? Eddie Metalworking 2 July 18th 05 08:27 AM
Parting off Dennis Shinn Metalworking 9 June 6th 05 06:09 AM
Parting (toolsteel?) Greg Menke Metalworking 1 January 26th 04 09:20 PM