Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Holding a parting blade

Michael Koblic wrote:

I got a small parting blade in Vancouver last week: It has a 'V'
cross-section with the top 0.057" and the bottom 0.048". It is 5/16" wide.
The question is: How do you hold it to work? I assume that the 'V' should be
vertical to provide clearance on both sides but to mount it like that
requires some tricky arrangements. I tried to look for a holder that would
do that but could not find one.

I can see how having the 'V' tilted so that one side of the 'V' is vertical
would be easier to do but would it work right? I understand now why the 'T'
shaped tools are easier to deal with.

I would like to use the blade in a rear tool post on the Taig which brings
up another issue: If you try to grind a top rake on the blade and clip the
point even slightly the point is going to be *above* the center and I cannot
see how this can be corrected by shims as in a front tool post.

None of the literature available to me nor the web searches have helped so
far.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

They make holders for these tapered parting blades. The one I bought
from Grizzly (P/N H5904) handles a 0.75" high blade, but I'm sure other
sizes are available.

The slot into which the blade sits is angled just a bit so that the V
will sit (nearly) vertical, giving similar side clearances in a cut. It
probably doesn't have to be exactly straight, just close.

Mine is designed for a front tool post, so it'll center up with the work
easily with a few shims. I'm sure the rear tool post type must be
different, and may have to be built to suit your particular
configuration. But then, its not unusual to spend as much time building
jigs and tools as one spends making the final product.

--
Paul Hovnanian
~{po ~poz~ppo\anks for hanging up the phone, dear.