Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to get rid of 55 gal drums of gas

We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"toolbreaker" wrote in message
We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Wouldn't the water sink to the bottom?
Ahm thinkin mebbe put a food dye in there, soluble only in the water, so you
could see the boundary layer.
Then you'd have, theoretically, usable gas.

Or, use salt, and attach an ohmmeter to some long wires, and when they hit
the boundary layer, the resistance should drop immediately.

--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):
Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Experiment on Homo Sapiens -- CEOs, Lawyers, and Politicians, in
particular.
Spare the animals.

Click here every day to feed an animal that needs you today.
www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 7:17*am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks but I want to get rid of it. The thought of putting old gas
into a car with fuel injectors turns makes me very nervous.

FYI: I have been told there is a paste from fuel supplier that one
can smear on a stick that changes color when it contacts water.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Around here I see fairly regular ads in the free section of Craigslist
for "fuel oil tank half full". A friend of mine has salvaged fuel oil
for his garage heater.

I burn my junk gas in the small tractor. Carburetor, low compression,
not mission critical. It even takes the left over 2 cycle gas at the end
of the summer (diluted with some clean gas to keep the plugs from
getting too cruddy!)

I'd guess that the remaining crud in the bottom of barrels might be a
bit nasty to deal with though.

toolbreaker wrote:
We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

toolbreaker wrote:
We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. *Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?- Hide quoted text -

If I could find someone like you to take the gas that would be
great. Plan on stoping at the local feed store and see if they know
anyone who wants it,

One option is to break it down into 5 gallon containers and take it to
the county hazards waste drop off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
toolbreaker wrote:

We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Craigslist, free section. Someone less fussy than you will be happy to
take it, drums and all.

"Contaminated with water" is a fiction - every gas tank in the world is
"contaminated with water" to some extent. Condensate happens. A filter
removes it, as does decanting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal writes:

"Contaminated with water" is a fiction - every gas tank in the world is
"contaminated with water" to some extent. Condensate happens. A filter
removes it, as does decanting.

Just let it settle out. That's what the oil company does in those
~4 million gallon tanks. There's a drain at the very bottom called the
"water draw" valve. You let the tank sit untouched for a few days, then
drain the water off.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

toolbreaker wrote:
We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. *Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?- Hide quoted text -

Using old gas can also gum up valves and rings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 3:00*pm, toolbreaker wrote:
We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. *Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Depending on how much water is in it, someone could add some E 85
gasohol. The ethanol will combine with the water and the resultant
will mix with the gasolene.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 1:12*pm, " wrote:
On Jul 21, 3:00*pm, toolbreaker wrote:

We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. *Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Depending on how much water is in it, someone could add some E 85
gasohol. *The ethanol will combine with the water and the resultant
will mix with the gasolene.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dan

Hi Dan

I just want to get rid of it. I suspect there isn't a lot of water
but we tried it on a lawn mower and it didn't run very well. Barrals
are in good conditon and are nearly full but it has been stored for a
few years.

BTW you gave me a piece of Ti a few years ago and I recently chucked
it up in my new lathe. It cut like butter:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

FYI: I have been told there is a paste from fuel supplier that one
can smear on a stick that changes color when it contacts water.

There indeed is such a paste. Call an oil tank filling / reclamation
company to see what it is... or better yet, to empty out those containers
for you.

At least they will recycle it.

Depending on how old it is, it's not really useable as a fuel in most
vehicles.

Maybe mixed 10:1 with standard gas it is okay in whatever, but straight,
very old gas is baaaaaad news for most modern engines and especially for the
EPA stuff.

Don't you know that the 190's cars that got 40 MPG could burn anything and
today's efficient cars that take efficient fuel and get the same MPG are not
as durable? grin

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Where are you located physically on the planet?

I'll ask in another forum to see if anyone wants 'em.

Also, try Freecycle. Go to groups.yahoo.com and search for Freecycle. Then
post a message and see if some yahoo comes and takes it and/or doesn't spill
it all over the place.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
Where are you located physically on the planet?

Disregard this part.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
Production Tapping:http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site:http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R

Thanks Joe,

I agree with you about using it in a modern car. Save few bucks and
get a $2k repair bill:-(
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 9:23*pm, toolbreaker wrote:

Hi Dan

I just want to get rid of it. * I suspect there isn't a lot of water
but we tried it on a lawn mower and it didn't run very well. * Barrals
are in good conditon and are nearly full but it has been stored for a
few years.

BTW you gave me a piece of Ti a few years ago and I recently chucked
it up in my new lathe. *It cut like butter:-)

That is why I said "someone" instead of "you". Why don't you post
this in the Seattle Metalheads Yahoo Group? I have moved and am no
longer close to you.

Glad to hear that your lathe works well. Ti is similar to Stainless.
Cuts well if you get under any work hardening.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 1:12 pm, " wrote:
On Jul 21, 3:00 pm, toolbreaker wrote:

We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Depending on how much water is in it, someone could add some E 85
gasohol. The ethanol will combine with the water and the resultant
will mix with the gasolene.

Dan

Hi Dan

I just want to get rid of it. I suspect there isn't a lot of water
but we tried it on a lawn mower and it didn't run very well. Barrals
are in good conditon and are nearly full but it has been stored for a
few years.

BTW you gave me a piece of Ti a few years ago and I recently chucked
it up in my new lathe. It cut like butter:-)

http://rentonwa.gov/living/default.aspx?id=1900

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 07:30:20 -0700 (PDT), toolbreaker
wrote:

On Jul 21, 7:17Â*am, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
"toolbreaker" wrote in message

We are moving my elderly parents out of there house and need to get
rid of two 55 gal barrels of gas. Â*Gas is contaminated with water.
Location Renton WA.

Anyone wants some gas?

Wouldn't the water sink to the bottom?
Ahm thinkin mebbe put a food dye in there, soluble only in the water, so you
could see the boundary layer.
Then you'd have, theoretically, usable gas.

Or, use salt, and attach an ohmmeter to some long wires, and when they hit
the boundary layer, the resistance should drop immediately.

--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):
Â* Â* Â*Hey, Big Boy, is that a wad (of cash) in yer pocket, or are you just
glad to see me??

Experiment on Homo Sapiens -- CEOs, Lawyers, and Politicians, Â*in
particular.
Spare the animals.

Click here every day to feed an animal that needs you today.www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Thanks but I want to get rid of it. The thought of putting old gas
into a car with fuel injectors turns makes me very nervous.

FYI: I have been told there is a paste from fuel supplier that one
can smear on a stick that changes color when it contacts water.

Used to use it all the time at the service station. IIRC it had
anhydrous copper sulphate in it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Answer? - How to get rid of 55 gal drums of gas

http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/hous...al/othersites/

Limit 30 gallons of gas and no bigger than 5 gallons at a time.

Make several trips.

(from a friend. I didn't check the link)

55 Gallon Drums RogerN Metalworking 4 May 4th 09 06:31 AM
grounding fuel drums [email protected] Metalworking 14 July 30th 07 03:10 AM
grounding fuel drums Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 July 29th 07 08:12 AM
way OT - metal drums Dean H. Woodworking 6 June 25th 07 04:43 PM
Plastic Drums Two and a Half Metalworking 7 August 25th 05 08:24 PM