Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interesting lathe configuration

Tailstock goes before carriage.

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...3&gallery=7550

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24584 wrote:

Tailstock goes before carriage.

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...3&gallery=7550

Kinda looks like it was being used for a non-lathe turning application,
vs. being assembled by someone clueless.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus24584" wrote in message
Tailstock goes before carriage.

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...3&gallery=7550

That's just because that's the way they put it together (for the photo,
probably). I can do the same with my South Bend -- not that there's much
reason to, that I can think of. If you're lapping a very long part, it could
be useful.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I agree with Ed - So many lathes were sold without tail stocks because
they were in a box and forgotten...

Doing only face work or such. Then there are several other ideas.

1. If hand polishing a spindle - one doesn't want the carriage
where the hand / arm could be caught.... Maybe a machine snugged up - a grinder...

2. Was a bearing being snugged into something the last time - and the
carriage pushed the snugged but not tight tail stock towards the head.

Expect there are a number of other reasons as well.

Martin

Ignoramus24584 wrote:
Tailstock goes before carriage.

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...3&gallery=7550

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24584 wrote:
Tailstock goes before carriage.

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/stat...3&gallery=7550

I've seen them set up that way for shipping.

David