Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default moon landing 40th anniversary coming up soon

july 20th 1969.

editorial article in today's paper, mentioned we're coming up on the 40th
anniversary of the first Apollo moon landing. the guy in the article said
he was 39 years old, i was NINE years old. i remember we all were very
excited. there was like an Apollo fever back then. my mother couldn't
afford to buy me plastic scale models but a neighborhood kid had a big 'ol
scale model of the Apollo rocket. i was envious.
i remember we all were sitting around the tv that night watching the moon
landing. probably everyone in the united states had to go outside and look
up at the moon and say "there's a guy up there walking around".

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 4:27*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
july 20th 1969.

editorial article in today's paper, mentioned we're coming up on the 40th
anniversary of the first Apollo moon landing. *the guy in the article said
he was 39 years old, i was NINE years old. *i remember we all were very
excited. *there was like an Apollo fever back then. *my mother couldn't
afford to buy me plastic scale models but a neighborhood kid had a big 'ol
scale model of the Apollo rocket. *i was envious.
i remember we all were sitting around the tv that night watching the moon
landing. *probably everyone in the united states had to go outside and look
up at the moon and say "there's a guy up there walking around".

b.w.

I consider it to be one of the biggest moments in my life.

When one considers the engineering and training that had to happen to
make the moon shots possible, it was truly amazing.

It also demonstrates what this Country can do....when it wants to.

TMT
TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There were a bunch of us sitting on top of a sandbag/PSP bunker
watching on a battery powered TV bought from the PX for that event.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
[...]

If you consider that one of the greatest moments of your life, it explains a
lot of your posting. You do not have much of a life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 11:49*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
[...]

LOL...well you are entitled to your opinion.

And you just told us more about your own life than you meant us to
know.

And reinforced my opinion that I am a very lucky person to have the
life I live.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John R. Carroll wrote:
William Wixon wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
There were a bunch of us sitting on top of a sandbag/PSP bunker
watching on a battery powered TV bought from the PX for that event.

what's a PSP bunker?

A bunker with a runway metal cover.
PSP or SSP, will take mortar rounds.

Pierced Steel Plank.

Like he said - runway material
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

It WAS an awesome moment.
I was proud of what the country could do when it tried.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
There were a bunch of us sitting on top of a sandbag/PSP bunker
watching on a battery powered TV bought from the PX for that event.

what's a PSP bunker?
you're talking vietnam huh?

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

If you consider that one of the greatest moments of your life, it explains
a lot of your posting. You do not have much of a life.

that was nice of cavelamb to tell us where he was.
where were you calif bill?

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
news

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

I was so excited I couldn't sit down. I drove at high speed from my job at
the Jersey shore to my parents' house to watch it, because I didn't have a
TV where I was staying. After seeing Armstrong step out, I stood up and
bounced around the house for hours.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

yep.

I wasn't quite as enthusiastic, considering the location.
But I felt the same way inside.

I looked up and thought, "Those are two lucky sons of bitches up there!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

That is true, but it was not in the top 10 moments in life. And I love
space and science. Son in law is a rocket scientist. Actually satellites.
But my wedding day, the birth of my 2 daughters, the birth of my
granddaughter, and lots of other things rate lots higher than the moon
landing. If the landing is one of the biggest moments in your life, you
have led a very shallow existance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

If you consider that one of the greatest moments of your life, it
explains a lot of your posting. You do not have much of a life.

that was nice of cavelamb to tell us where he was.
where were you calif bill?

b.w.

I was in front of my TV watching the landing. With my wife, and I was out of
the service by then. Since I joined in 1965.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Calif Bill wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Insult people if you must Bill.
But I wanted to be there instead of where I was.

Still do!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Calif Bill wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Would have been one of the best moments in my life if I had been steping on
to the moon. But watching it, was not. I would still love to go to space.
But I have always loved flying and fast cars. Raced a Corvette in the
1960's and early 70's until one of the really great moments of my live
happened and that was the birth of my first child. And is eas and fun to
insult Cliff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 11, 2:03*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:

And is eas and fun to insult Cliff.

And Cliff's life is shallow and empty?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 2:03 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:

And is eas and fun to insult Cliff.

And Cliff's life is shallow and empty?

Look at his posts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:03 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:

And is eas and fun to insult Cliff.

And Cliff's life is shallow and empty?

As empty as the life of a software bot can be.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

If you consider that one of the greatest moments of your life, it
explains a lot of your posting. You do not have much of a life.

that was nice of cavelamb to tell us where he was.
where were you calif bill?

b.w.

I was in front of my TV watching the landing. With my wife, and I was out
of the service by then. Since I joined in 1965.

I thought I was old...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 12, 7:13 am, "Buerste" wrote:

I was in front of my TV watching the landing. With my wife, and I was out
of the service by then. Since I joined in 1965.

I thought I was old...

Just because someone is older, doesn't mean that I'm not old. Now if
you'll excuse me, I have a frosty glass of Metamucil awaiting me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
july 20th 1969.

editorial article in today's paper, mentioned we're coming up on the 40th
anniversary of the first Apollo moon landing. the guy in the article said
he was 39 years old, i was NINE years old. i remember we all were very
excited. there was like an Apollo fever back then. my mother couldn't
afford to buy me plastic scale models but a neighborhood kid had a big 'ol
scale model of the Apollo rocket. i was envious.
i remember we all were sitting around the tv that night watching the moon
landing. probably everyone in the united states had to go outside and look
up at the moon and say "there's a guy up there walking around".

b.w.

I was 33 at the time and while I can't remember just where I was when I
watched those brave guys landed, I do recall someone brought a small B&W
TV into the R&D place where I was working so we could watch them taking
off from the moon.

The TV was set up in the company's drafting room, the same place where I
was in 1963, talking to a mechanical designer, when someone came rushing
into the room to tell us JFK had been shot.

Does almost every american old enough on that day to understand what had
happened remember just where they were and what they were doing when
they first heard about the President's assasination?

SWMBO and I were so put out by what happened that day that we "flicked
out" that evening and took in a movie to take our minds off the subject
for a couple of hours. I recall that we were far from alone in the theater.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 11, 3:46*pm, "David R.Birch" wrote:
rangerssuck wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:03 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:

And is eas and fun to insult Cliff.

And Cliff's life is shallow and empty?

As empty as the life of a software bot can be.

David

If Cliff is a bot it is a darn good one.

It's winger BS detector is well done.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 11, 2:41*am, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message

m...

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news:zJmdnRElm8PCssXXnZ2dnUVZ_tti4p2d@earthlink. com...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

LOL..I said "I consider it to be one of the biggest moments in my
life."

I did not say.."I consider it to be the biggest moment in my life."

It seems that some are having a bit of a problem with reading
comprehension.

I also consider it to be one of the biggest successful endeavors that
the United States has done with its immediate and long term impact.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rangerssuck wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:03 pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
And is eas and fun to insult Cliff.
And Cliff's life is shallow and empty?

As empty as the life of a software bot can be.

David

If Cliff is a bot it is a darn good one.

It's winger BS detector is well done.

But it ignores the BS it puts out and when that BS is pointed out, it
has only a default response:

"Found those WMDs yet?"

Those WMDs President Clinton warned us about.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

When it has a leader with vision
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

just came across this.
wow, would like to have a look!
yeah, i remember the grainy lousy images, would be cool to see 'em all crisp
and clear.

b.w.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06...landing_tapes/

NASA reacquires original Moon landing footage
Tapes discovered in Oz, agency confirms
By Lester Haines

Posted in Space, 29th June 2009 11:02 GMT

NASA has seemingly confirmed that the original taped recordings of the first
Moon landing have turned up in Australia - almost three years after the
agency admitted it had carelessly mislaid them.

The Parkes Observatory in Australia captured the 1969 live images straight
from the lunar surface to magnetic tape. What the US public saw, though was
a compressed feed "downsized" to local TV resolutions, while NASA itself
grabbed a 16mm copy from a TV monitor.

The Parkes Observatory tapes were apparently shipped to the Goddard Space
Flight Centre in Maryland a year after the landing, but in 2006 NASA
confirmed that despite an extensive search, their whereabouts was unknown.

However, the Sunday Express now claims the footage was actually gathering
dust in a storage facility in Perth among other tapes containing Moon dust
data - presumably the same material which Oz scientists hoped to run through
a vintage IBM 729 Mark V tape drive earlier this year.

A NASA spokesman confirmed the Apollo 11 landing recordings are the real
deal, and said: "We’re talking about the same tapes."

He added: “At this point, I’m not prepared to discuss what has or has not
been found. The research team is preparing its final report and we’ll
release those findings publicly in the coming weeks.”

The Sunday Express notes that "if the visual data can be retrieved, NASA is
set to reveal them to the world as a key plank of celebrations to mark the
40th anniversary of the landings next month".

Whether the world will finally enjoy high-quality pics of Aldrin and
Armstrong strolling the Moon's surface remains to be seen. When NASA coughed
to having lost the original tapes, John Sarkissian of the Parkes Observatory
noted that even if a machine could be found to replay them, they would be
"so old and fragile, it's not certain they could even be played". ®

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

OMFG !!

All you people 'ACTUALLY' believe that the MOON LANDING really
occurred ??

Holy Keeerrisst !

Only in the USA,.... I swear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jman wrote:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

OMFG !!

All you people 'ACTUALLY' believe that the MOON LANDING really
occurred ??

Holy Keeerrisst !

Only in the USA,.... I swear.

You got that right, wipe.

No other nation on earth could do it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:11:04 -0500, cavelamb wrote:

There were a bunch of us sitting on top of a sandbag/PSP bunker
watching on a battery powered TV bought from the PX for that event.

We sat in the dayroom of the barracks (which they called a dorm) and
watched it. I was in the USAF, and so we were especially proud. When
they said, "Houston, this is Tranquility Base" we almost had a collective
geek-gasm. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 8:59*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

How about guys...could the Country do it again?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

Not without a compelling reason.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:29:54 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:
[...]

Like you said - *IF* we wanted to, we sure the hell could.

But it takes a reason to get everyone on the same page and pulling
in the same direction. The 1960's Space Race was a balls-out United
States Macho response to the Soviet Block trying to get there first,
and we were NOT going to let that happen.

All you need is a compelling reason - For purposes of discussion,
let's say they figure out there's a big asteroid out there with our
name on it, and we're going to get knocked back to the Ice Age if it
makes a direct hit on the Earth - Yeah, that ought to do it...

Let's say for discussion we have 50 years before it hits. That
would be just enough time to get back into space big-time, figure out
how to catch up to the asteroid and confirm the orbital mechanics, and
come up with a way to correct the course - either blow it up, strap a
big engine to it or take a big asteroid and bank a pool-shot off it to
move the orbit /just/ enough.

And if all else fails, the space program is our life raft. Colonies
on the Moon and Mars and elsewhere in the Inner System (large colony
space stations at the L5 points, etc.) that will provide enough
genetic diversity to ensure species survival. And with all the
libraries backed up eighteen ways, we can stave off a second Dark
Ages.

Those of us staying at home better stock up on winter woolies, and
move to the tropics where we have a chance of staying warm-ish.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:29:54 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

It also demonstrates what this Country can do....when it wants to.

How about guys...could the Country do it again?

Not until all of the bureaucrats and other socialist crooks are at
the end of a rope, twisting in the wind.

Or would just putting the bureaucrats in the unemployment line be
good enough?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:59:11 -0700, Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

And if all else fails, the space program is our life raft. Colonies
on the Moon and Mars and elsewhere in the Inner System (large colony
space stations at the L5 points, etc.) that will provide enough
genetic diversity to ensure species survival. And with all the
libraries backed up eighteen ways, we can stave off a second Dark
Ages.

Those of us staying at home better stock up on winter woolies, and
move to the tropics where we have a chance of staying warm-ish.

An awesome read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer's_Hammer

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SNIP

It also demonstrates what this Country can do....when it wants to.

TMT
TMT

How about guys...could the Country do it again?

TMT

Not without a compelling reason.

It would now take ten years to get the permits and approprations to do a
feasability study to decide if it was possibile to get the law changed to
allow the decision to start work on the import permits to get the equipment
from China.