Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OA Cart

I want to build an OA cart for a big O2 and acetylene bottle. The O2 is the
big one, and the acet is about half as high, but not the big fat one, but
about the diameter of the O2.

I have seen lots of carts. I want one that has large diameter wheels, and
the cylinders are at a slight tilt when parked. Where it takes minimal
leverage to tip and move. Anywhere I can get some dimensions or ideas about
this?

Maybe I'll shop around and just see how much it is to buy one, as it may be
cheaper and easier.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 11:11*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I want to build an OA cart for a big O2 and acetylene bottle. *The O2 is the
big one, and the acet is about half as high, but not the big fat one, but
about the diameter of the O2.

I have seen lots of carts. *I want one that has large diameter wheels, and
the cylinders are at a slight tilt when parked. *Where it takes minimal
leverage to tip and move. *Anywhere I can get some dimensions or ideas about
this?

Maybe I'll shop around and just see how much it is to buy one, as it may be
cheaper and easier.

Steve

Antique fire-extinguisher carts?
They seem to have a front-rear 2 bottle arrangement that might have
some utility.

http://www.mostphotos.com/preview/28...-on-Wheels.jpg

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...tinguisher.jpg

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 09:11:14 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I want to build an OA cart for a big O2 and acetylene bottle. The O2 is the
big one, and the acet is about half as high, but not the big fat one, but
about the diameter of the O2.

I have seen lots of carts. I want one that has large diameter wheels, and
the cylinders are at a slight tilt when parked. Where it takes minimal
leverage to tip and move. Anywhere I can get some dimensions or ideas about
this?

Maybe I'll shop around and just see how much it is to buy one, as it may be
cheaper and easier.

Steve

Take a look at he Horrible Fright cart. Not the greatest, but for
$60.......

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 11:11*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I want to build an OA cart for a big O2 and acetylene bottle. *...

Find some wheels, then copy the rest from a catalog photo.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-10, SteveB wrote:
I want to build an OA cart for a big O2 and acetylene bottle. The O2 is the
big one, and the acet is about half as high, but not the big fat one, but
about the diameter of the O2.

I have seen lots of carts. I want one that has large diameter wheels, and
the cylinders are at a slight tilt when parked. Where it takes minimal
leverage to tip and move. Anywhere I can get some dimensions or ideas about
this?

Maybe I'll shop around and just see how much it is to buy one, as it may be
cheaper and easier.

I had a great cart that I since sold for space reasons. Could give you
some ideas.

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...er-Cart-Truck/

You could start with a regular hand truck and weld on some cylinder
supports to it. It seems to be the easiest approach.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus21207" wrote in message
On 2009-07-10, SteveB wrote:
[...]

I have special parameters. I live on a sand dune. Lots of my pulling
around is on blowsand, and I need wide wheels. I said big diameter wheels
without thinking. May just have to put four inflatable wide cart wheels on
it, kicked back a bit so that the tipping point is easier. It's getting
harder to muscle stuff from this broken back. May even consider one of
those four wheel tongued carts that you pull with an ATV, or a little HF two
wheel trailer where they are mounted on there permanently and solidly. Hose
racks, a tray for tips and striker, etc.

If I could find just the right thing, I'd just buy it. But I like to putter
and create, but then sometimes you end up not getting what you want and
spending more than a new one costs and you end up with a worthless white
elephant. Those 142# O2 cylinders are getting heavier. Anyone notice that?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:40:38 -0600, "SteveB"

"Ignoramus21207" wrote in message
m...
On 2009-07-10, SteveB wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I've got one of those. It'll be with me forever, and when I die
somebody can use it for a jack stand for a locomotive. However, I do
like the method I used to secure the bottles, chain and De-Sta-Co
clamps. It's quick and secure. See the following:

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart03.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart04.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart05.jpg

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:43:28 -0400, the infamous Pete Keillor
scrawled the following:

wrote:

elephant. Those 142# O2 cylinders are getting heavier. Anyone notice that?

Yeah, they are, aren't they?

Yeah, I've got one of those. It'll be with me forever, and when I die
somebody can use it for a jack stand for a locomotive. However, I do
like the method I used to secure the bottles, chain and De-Sta-Co
clamps. It's quick and secure. See the following:

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart03.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart04.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart05.jpg

Sweet cart, Pete. All I see missing are the rubber bands to hold the
ends of the chains from making Poe noises. I used rubber coated chain
on my TIG bottle. It doesn't rattle, and that's nice. (Now to get
enough room in the shop to actually be able to _use_ it...

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 10, 9:11*am, "SteveB" wrote:
I want to build an OA cart for a big O2 and acetylene bottle. *The O2 is the
big one, and the acet is about half as high, but not the big fat one, but
about the diameter of the O2.

I have seen lots of carts. *I want one that has large diameter wheels, and
the cylinders are at a slight tilt when parked. *Where it takes minimal
leverage to tip and move. *Anywhere I can get some dimensions or ideas about
this?

Maybe I'll shop around and just see how much it is to buy one, as it may be
cheaper and easier.

Steve

The HF one has large diameter tires, I had to change out one of the
tubes, though, great chink Q.C. there. If you need WIDE tires, that's
a different animal. Maybe find some motorcycle rims and gen up an
axle for it. Pretty soon, though, the works gets too wide to fit
through anything but an overhead door. I want one I can stick one of
my CO2 extinguishers on as well as tanks, regulators and hose. The
local welding supply had quite a selection, so you might luck out and
find exactly what you want.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jul 10, 9:11 am, "SteveB" wrote:
[...]

Reply:

By wide, I mean like those three inch wide wheelbarrow tires rather than the
1.5" wide hard concrete two wheel handcart ones. Maybe two on each side,
but problem is the tubes are always flat. Around here, we got lots and lots
of ATV shops. I could probably get two tires and rims off an atv that would
be six or eight inches wide. Maybe more, and they are not tall at all.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:44:02 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

snip
By wide, I mean like those three inch wide wheelbarrow tires rather than the
1.5" wide hard concrete two wheel handcart ones. Maybe two on each side,
but problem is the tubes are always flat. Around here, we got lots and lots
of ATV shops. I could probably get two tires and rims off an atv that would
be six or eight inches wide. Maybe more, and they are not tall at all.

Get a couple of those no-flat wheelbarrow tires, the ones
you can pound nails through. Then make sure that the tires
aren't loaded when it's parked, otherwise you will get flat
spots.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 12:52*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:44:02 -0600, "SteveB"

wrote:

snip

By wide, I mean like those three inch wide wheelbarrow tires rather than the
1.5" wide hard concrete two wheel handcart ones. *Maybe two on each side,
but problem is the tubes are always flat. *Around here, we got lots and lots
of ATV shops. *I could probably get two tires and rims off an atv that would
be six or eight inches wide. *Maybe more, and they are not tall at all..

Get a couple of those no-flat wheelbarrow tires, the ones
you can pound nails through. Then make sure that the tires
aren't loaded when it's parked, otherwise you will get flat
spots.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

That was the nice thing about my particular cart model, when the thing
is sitting, the tires are clear of the floor. Not by much, but
enough. Large diameter tires are nice when dragging the works over
rough ground, I've had ones with 8" tires, bad news on rough and
potholed concrete. The green slime helps with tubes that want to go
flat, too. Still looking for a set of solid urethane tires, though.
It's not like I'm going to drag the thing along at 40 mph, after all.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 12:40*am, "SteveB" wrote:
If I could find just the right thing, I'd just buy it. *But I like to putter
and create, ...
Steve

Maybe something like this?
http://mayberrys.com/honda/snow/html/twosnow.htm

jsw

go cart Elizazhan Woodworking 0 April 21st 08 01:35 AM
CART J T Woodworking 0 September 30th 05 11:02 PM
TAKE-DOWN GUN CART J T Woodworking 3 September 5th 05 05:13 PM
TEA CART MR. MEL Woodworking 5 May 31st 05 01:50 AM
GO CART J T Woodworking 1 January 17th 05 11:18 AM