Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default OA Cart

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:40:38 -0600, "SteveB"

m...
On 2009-07-10, SteveB wrote:
I want to build an OA cart for a big O2 and acetylene bottle. The O2 is
the
big one, and the acet is about half as high, but not the big fat one, but
about the diameter of the O2.

I have seen lots of carts. I want one that has large diameter wheels,
and
the cylinders are at a slight tilt when parked. Where it takes minimal
leverage to tip and move. Anywhere I can get some dimensions or ideas
about
this?

Maybe I'll shop around and just see how much it is to buy one, as it may
be
cheaper and easier.

I had a great cart that I since sold for space reasons. Could give you
some ideas.

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...er-Cart-Truck/

You could start with a regular hand truck and weld on some cylinder
supports to it. It seems to be the easiest approach.

I have special parameters. I live on a sand dune. Lots of my pulling
around is on blowsand, and I need wide wheels. I said big diameter wheels
without thinking. May just have to put four inflatable wide cart wheels on
it, kicked back a bit so that the tipping point is easier. It's getting
harder to muscle stuff from this broken back. May even consider one of
those four wheel tongued carts that you pull with an ATV, or a little HF two
wheel trailer where they are mounted on there permanently and solidly. Hose
racks, a tray for tips and striker, etc.

If I could find just the right thing, I'd just buy it. But I like to putter
and create, but then sometimes you end up not getting what you want and
spending more than a new one costs and you end up with a worthless white
elephant. Those 142# O2 cylinders are getting heavier. Anyone notice that?

Steve

Yeah, I've got one of those. It'll be with me forever, and when I die
somebody can use it for a jack stand for a locomotive. However, I do
like the method I used to secure the bottles, chain and De-Sta-Co
clamps. It's quick and secure. See the following:

http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart03.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart04.jpg
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/OACart05.jpg

Pete Keillor