Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - guns at church - "open-carry service"

Wes wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also are pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Even so, you only have four...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"David R.Birch" wrote:

The first time they called, I stood on my porch and asked to examine
their bible. The title page listed a committee that had been
responsible for the translation. I asked them which of the several
hundred different Greek versions they had used. I asked them why, if
their god had guided the translation to maintain the Truth, a
committee was necessary. I explained that I am an agnostic pantheist,
except on Leap Day, when I am a pantheistic agnostic.

I was over at uncles once when they showed up on the step, my uncle, a deacon in his
church, invited them in to meet his pastor that was visiting. For some reason, they
didn't stay long. I don't understand it, it was 2v2 so it was a fair religious fight.

I left, I knew how this one was going to end.

Wes

I asked them to explain away this passage, when they claim
everything you need to know is in their pamplets:

Deuteronomy 4:2
Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye
diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD
your God which I command you.

They left in a hurry!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

Why don't you ask Jesus that, instead of Wes?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

So am I, we believe in what is right! After my ordination by Kirby Hensley
in 1969, I started the First Aquafraternal Church of Universal Life.

Share water! May you never thirst!

David

Amen, brother. I was ordained the same year, by a guy who eventually became
an AP reporter.

I performed one wedding ceremony. How about you?

--
Ed Huntress

Alas, I have yet to officiate at any ceremonies, I suspect it may have
something to do with my belonging to the Potato Totem.

Although I'm not supposed to eat them, I'm not required to defend them
against those who do.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

--
Ed Huntress

More to the point, what would Jesus carry? A gladius? Something more
current, like a Glock 26?

"Then Jesus asked [his disciples], “When I sent you without purse, bag
or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. He said
to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if
you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written:
‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this
must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its
fulfillment.” The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”
“That is enough,” he replied." (Luke 22:35-38)

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
"David R.Birch" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:
That kinda reminds me of snake handling, though.

How do you load a snake?

More to the point, if the snake is venomous, how do you unload it?

David

Put it up on Ebay.

DINGDINGDING!!!

We have a winner! :^)

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Using your logic, I should be pulling my guns on the Girl Scouts that
visit.

But then you would go through life without their cookies!

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:00:49 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:59:39 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch"
scrawled the following:

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Amazing! I didn't think the Skywalker line went back that far.

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also
are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

Why don't you ask Jesus that, instead of Wes?

I thought Wes would probably know. Roger would know, but it would be
lengthy, and full of contradictions. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

So am I, we believe in what is right! After my ordination by Kirby
Hensley in 1969, I started the First Aquafraternal Church of Universal
Life.

Share water! May you never thirst!

David

Amen, brother. I was ordained the same year, by a guy who eventually
became an AP reporter.

I performed one wedding ceremony. How about you?

--
Ed Huntress

Alas, I have yet to officiate at any ceremonies, I suspect it may have
something to do with my belonging to the Potato Totem.

Although I'm not supposed to eat them, I'm not required to defend them
against those who do.

David

That's a heavy moral burden to bear. 'Hope you're not Irish.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.
I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also
are pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

--
Ed Huntress

More to the point, what would Jesus carry? A gladius? Something more
current, like a Glock 26?

I'm thinking a Buntline Special in a shoulder holster. It has a real air of
seriousness about it.

"Then Jesus asked [his disciples], “When I sent you without purse, bag or
sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. He said to
them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you
don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: ‘And he
was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be
fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its
fulfillment.” The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That
is enough,” he replied." (Luke 22:35-38)

David

Maybe two Buntlines, then, with cross-draw holsters.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also
are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

Blasphemer. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:33:43 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

.. .

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also
are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

Blasphemer. d8-)

Who says Jesus doesn't have a sense of humor? He really needs one,
what with all those JFs out there nowadays, wot?

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:59:39 -0500, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

What would Jesus say?

--
Ed Huntress

More to the point, what would Jesus carry? A gladius? Something more
current, like a Glock 26?

I think perhaps He would carry a Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum. I have
noticed that the first shot with one of these is very often
accompanied by the shooter crying out His name or invoking something
Holy -- as in "Holy ****!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Using your logic, I should be pulling my guns on the Girl Scouts that
visit.

But then you would go through life without their cookies!

No, they would just laugh at him, then disarm him. 'Barney Fife' is
no match for a couple Girl Scouts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also
are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon

LOL, speaking of cheeks, many years ago, my cousin, a very nice looking
blond saw them coming. She answered the door, wearing a 7 foot boa
constrictor, and little else!
The JWs ran, and ran, until they went out of sight, never to return!

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also
are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

Why don't you ask Jesus that, instead of Wes?

I thought Wes would probably know. Roger would know, but it would be
lengthy, and full of contradictions. d8-)

Why should Wes tell you? Some things need to be learned, first hand.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 29, 8:01*pm, "David R.Birch" wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Using your logic, I should be pulling my guns on the Girl Scouts that
visit.

But then you would go through life without their cookies!

David

No..no..I would then get ALL of their cookies! ;)

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

What would Jesus say?

I hope someday to ask him.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 19:59:39 -0500, "David R.Birch"
wrote:

What would Jesus say?

--
Ed Huntress

More to the point, what would Jesus carry? A gladius? Something more
current, like a Glock 26?

I think perhaps He would carry a Smith & Wesson .500 Magnum. I have
noticed that the first shot with one of these is very often
accompanied by the shooter crying out His name or invoking something
Holy -- as in "Holy ****!"

Or his Fathers name along with reference to a water retention device.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

Are we talking about draft dodgers now?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.
I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also
are pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes
What would Jesus say?

--
Ed Huntress

More to the point, what would Jesus carry? A gladius? Something more
current, like a Glock 26?

I'm thinking a Buntline Special in a shoulder holster. It has a real air of
seriousness about it.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk w/ 10" barrel, NOT a shoulder holster
weapon!

"Then Jesus asked [his disciples], “When I sent you without purse, bag or
sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. He said to
them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you
don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: ‘And he
was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be
fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its
fulfillment.” The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.” “That
is enough,” he replied." (Luke 22:35-38)

David

Maybe two Buntlines, then, with cross-draw holsters.

That might work, but it's a lot of weight on the belt.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:

LOL, speaking of cheeks, many years ago, my cousin, a very nice looking
blond saw them coming. She answered the door, wearing a 7 foot boa
constrictor, and little else!
The JWs ran, and ran, until they went out of sight, never to return!

Where is she, I think I need to spread the word of the Universal Life
Church... or something.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

Alas, I have yet to officiate at any ceremonies, I suspect it may have
something to do with my belonging to the Potato Totem.

Although I'm not supposed to eat them, I'm not required to defend them
against those who do.

David

That's a heavy moral burden to bear. 'Hope you're not Irish.

Only partially, a bit Scots-Irish somewhere back there.

I tried to sin once by eating spuds, but through the miracle of
transubstantiation, the hash browns were converted to parsnips.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

What would Jesus say?

I hope someday to ask him.

Wes

Do you hope to do that soon, or is later better? Considering their
wish to go to Heaven, most Xtians seem reluctant to make the journey.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I happen to be an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(seriously). We're pacifists, and we use pepper spray -- sometimes, on
each
other. It's a rowdy bunch.

I'm an ordained reverend in the Church of John Moses Browning, we also are
pacifists, but
we haven't mastered turning the other cheek yet.

Wes

What would Jesus say?

--
Ed Huntress

Probably: "Don't limp-wrist it!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:46:55 -0700, the infamous "Steve R."
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

Bwahahahahaha! Ah, the Eve approach. I love it!

I've been tempted to answer the door naked, too, when I see them
approach, but I'm afraid of scaring the neighbors, too.

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 03:26:19 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

Are we talking about draft dodgers now?

Have you been drinking, Wes? I've failed to grok either of your last
two posts. 'Splain, please!

(Father's name + water retention device?)

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Strap sez:
"Have you been drinking, Wes? I've failed to grok either of your last
two posts. 'Splain, please!

(Father's name + water retention device?)"

He's talking about a rubber. didn't you learn anything in Sunday school?

Bob (member of the Church of No Bull****) Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote:

Wes wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

What would Jesus say?

I hope someday to ask him.

Wes

Do you hope to do that soon, or is later better? Considering their
wish to go to Heaven, most Xtians seem reluctant to make the journey.

I've noticed that. Christians and Jews tend to be willing to wait, certain Muslims seem
in a hurry but I think they are more interested in those virgins. ;

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Husvar wrote:

Probably: "Don't limp-wrist it!"

Definitely! Maybe even, "Change the recoil spring periodically".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 30, 12:44*am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
"David R.Birch" wrote:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Using your logic, I should be pulling my guns on the Girl Scouts that
visit.

But then you would go through life without their cookies!

* *No, they would just laugh at him, then disarm him. *'Barney Fife' is
no match for a couple Girl Scouts.

LOL..funny...good one Michael....good to see you have a sense of
humor...I was starting to wonder.

For those who don't know it, Michael is recently POed at me for
calling him on the mat in another group.

Well...okay...more POed than usual. ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

Are we talking about draft dodgers now?

Have you been drinking, Wes? I've failed to grok either of your last
two posts. 'Splain, please!

(Father's name + water retention device?)

You presumably know who His Father is. For water retention device
hint think Hoover, Grand Coulee, etc...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:40:32 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Jun 29, 7:33*am, Ted Frater wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jun 29, 1:32 am, Ted Frater wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jun 28, 12:28 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"James Waldby" wrote in message
news:Kb6dnWr1s9gTO9rXnZ2dnUVZ_jti4p2d@bresnan. com...
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1907588,00.html
is an article about "show of support for the Second Amendment
and First Amendment" via an "open-carry service".
"New Bethel [...] church in Louisville, Kentucky [...] invited
people to bring their unloaded guns to this first-ever event"
yesterday.
--
jiw
Why unloaded? Doesn't that defeat the whole idea? Or are they worried about
the stained glass windows? d8-)
--
Ed Huntress
LOL..pretty funny Ed.
TMT
Guns and religion,
we live a long way from anywhere, just the way we like it,
* Many yrs ago Jehovas whitnesses called to convert us.
* We asked them politely to go on their way.
* They came again on a sunday at midday just as we were sitting down to
a meal.
* we said in no uncertain terms NOT to come again, if they did they
would regret it.
* Yes, they came once more a month or so later.
* I called my wife in a very loud voice to get the 12 bore off the
mantlepiece. I then gave them 20 secs to get up our private road, some
200yds long , before I blew their ffing heads off.
They didnt hang about.

A couple of months ago *2 elderly ladies called where I was working, and
asked where the home owner was.
* i said out working.
* Can i pass a message? I said?
* no they said they would call again.
* I said are you JW'S yes they said, .
* I replied that they better not come there again as this person is a
difficult soul and they would regret it.
* They then replied that they were threatened with a gun out this way
many yrs ago. .
I replied
* That was me!!.
They're devils for punishment.
Ted
* Dorset
UK.

Using that logic, I would assume that you then approve if JW would
choose to use guns to persuade nonbelievers to convert?

In my experience, showing respect for anyone's religious beliefs
brings desired results.

TMT

The first time they called I was polite to them
The second time they called I warned them if they came again it would be
at their own risk.
The third time they called despite the 2 previous warnings *the reaped
the results of their actions.
If the JW's had shown respect for my beliefs and not called again when i
asked them not to, then i wouldnt have had to get threatening to get my
point of view across.
They brought it upon them selves.
How often would you have put up with their calls? , indefinately?

And Ted...I am not trying to give you a hard time...I understand the
frustration when someone doesn't understand the meaning of "NO THANKS".

Deadly force isn't an appropriate (or lawful) response to pesky
persistence. There are other much more effective ploys for dealing
with such pests.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 01:10:28 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

What would Jesus say?

"Which set of cheeks?" ?

Are we talking about draft dodgers now?

Have you been drinking, Wes? I've failed to grok either of your last
two posts. 'Splain, please!

(Father's name + water retention device?)

You presumably know who His Father is. For water retention device
hint think Hoover, Grand Coulee, etc...

Gawd dam it, I missed that. 'twent PSA on me.

Now 'splain his "draft dodgers" iffen ye can.

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 01:19:11 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
[...]

A SuperSoaker would probably work quite well, at least for the pair
who got hosed. A remote sprinkler system could be fun, too,
especially in the colder months.

--
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass;
it's about learning how to dance in the rain.
--Anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

A remote sprinkler system could be fun, too,
especially in the colder months.

A set of sprinklers wired to a wall switch inside for those special visitors?

Wes