Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Lobster

Default 3-jaw rivet guns? (or: "Ping Andy Dingley!")

I asked the query below tagged onto the bottom of an old thread, which
may be why it got no response, so I'm trying again in a new thread (and
x-posting to URCM too!)

Having looked around, all the rivet guns I can see appear to have two
handles (like a crimping tool) with a round nozzle for the rivet at the tip.

Can anyone advise please? Many thanks.

Andy Dingley wrote:

When buying a pop-rivet gun, get a 3 jaw design, not a 2 jaw.
There's an extra size increment you can have, just from the grip, let
alone the effort needed.

Thanks for that advice Andy: now, as a total rivetting numpty, is it
obvious whether a rivet gun has a 3 or 2 jaw design? Never handled one
before. What about the Screwfix one which I cited previously?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102094&ts=70670&id=10068#

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
reg

Andy Dingley wrote:

When buying a pop-rivet gun, get a 3 jaw design, not a 2 jaw.
There's an extra size increment you can have, just from the grip, let
alone the effort needed.

Thanks for that advice Andy: now, as a total rivetting numpty, is it
obvious whether a rivet gun has a 3 or 2 jaw design? Never handled one
before. What about the Screwfix one which I cited previously?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102094&ts=70670&id=10068#

Thanks
David

what about lazy tongs http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc.9/category.447/.f

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Tony Bond \(UncleFista\)

"Lobster" wrote in message
I asked the query below tagged onto the bottom of an old thread, which may
be why it got no response, so I'm trying again in a new thread (and
x-posting to URCM too!)

Having looked around, all the rivet guns I can see appear to have two
handles (like a crimping tool) with a round nozzle for the rivet at the
tip.

Can anyone advise please? Many thanks.

If you have access to a compressor, beg/borrow/steal a pneumatic one

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Paul Hubbard

"reg" wrote in message
what about lazy tongs
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc.9/category.447/.f

Watch your fingers with those blasted things.

PDH

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Nick

Andy Dingley wrote:

When buying a pop-rivet gun, get a 3 jaw design, not a 2 jaw.
There's an extra size increment you can have, just from the grip, let
alone the effort needed.

Thanks for that advice Andy: now, as a total rivetting numpty, is it
obvious whether a rivet gun has a 3 or 2 jaw design? Never handled one
before. What about the Screwfix one which I cited previously?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102094&ts=70670&id=10068#

That looks similar to my "Fuller" pop-rivet gun. If you remove
the round nozzle you will be able to see the jaws that grip the
rivet. Mine has two jaws and that is OK for the small amount I
use it. For long rivets I have to press the handles together
twice. I assume that a three-jaw gun would handle bigger rivets
and be able to rivet in one operation. But then it may not fit in
confined spaces and would cost more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
dennis@home

Lobster wrote:
I asked the query below tagged onto the bottom of an old thread, which
may be why it got no response, so I'm trying again in a new thread
(and x-posting to URCM too!)

Having looked around, all the rivet guns I can see appear to have two
handles (like a crimping tool) with a round nozzle for the rivet at
the tip.
Can anyone advise please? Many thanks.

I use a two jaw one for occasional riviting (like once in five years).
I can't really see why three jaws would be significantly better than two.
They only have to grip the shank while you set the rivit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Dave

Nick wrote:

Mine has
two jaws and that is OK for the small amount I use it. For long rivets I
have to press the handles together twice.

In that case, the rivets must be too long. To judge how long the rivet
shank should be, take the thickens you are riveting and add just a
little over (10%) the diameter of the rivet to the length. That way, you
get a good rivet set.

I have never encountered a three jaw gun in the aerospace industry, so I
can't comment on them.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Speaking as an aircraft engineer, most of our pop pliers are the
standard 2 jaw. Lazy tongs are 3 jaw.

The pop pliers have a small range of rivet size options in terms of
dia, or you need to change the jaws. The lazy tongs take a far greater
range of rivet mandel sizes with the same jaw.

Most pneumatic pliers are also three jawed

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:01:35 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Thanks for that advice Andy: now, as a total rivetting numpty, is it
obvious whether a rivet gun has a 3 or 2 jaw design?

No. Look up the snout and count them, but you have to look close. I
think "Beargrip" are the commonplace brand with the good grips.

Most cheap ( £20) hand riveters have nose bushes for 3,4,5 & 6mm
rivets. You have the hand strength to pull a 6mm aluminium rivet with a
simple short-handle riveter, but the cheap 2 jaw tools can't get a good
enough grip on it. A 3 jaw one can. Bigger riveters, such as long
handle or lazy-tong riveters generally have jaws adequate for the task.

You might be a gun nut...(metal content) Gunner Metalworking 19 January 18th 06 05:11 AM
'Sprayfine' HVLP turbine guns??? Mike in Arkansas Woodworking 0 November 17th 05 10:47 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Nice write up about LEDs Gunner Metalworking 242 June 13th 04 05:10 PM
ot- Gun Laws in Australia Gunner Metalworking 10 April 28th 04 11:46 AM