Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need help findins a (cheap) source of conveyor belt...

I'm in need of a nominal 3' wide by 36" span (72"+ circumference) deep
rib conveyor belt for moving dirt, and the related seaming parts and
drive rolls. I looked on McMaster and they seem to only have conveyor
components for food applications. Any ideas where I can get my needed
components pretty cheap?

Thanks,

Pete C.

PS: Metalworking content - conveyor belt installs on a welded steel
framework.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 10:48*am, "Pete C." wrote:
I'm in need of a nominal 3' wide by 36" span (72"+ circumference) deep
rib conveyor belt for moving dirt, and the related seaming parts and
drive rolls. I looked on McMaster and they seem to only have conveyor
components for food applications. Any ideas where I can get my needed
components pretty cheap?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

PS: Metalworking content - conveyor belt installs on a welded steel
framework.

Get yourself to the local industrial junkyard.

Entire lines are tossed in the dumpster.

Also haunt local industrial auctions.

Finally put an ad in the local Craigslist...it is amazing what one can
get if you ask where the eyeballs are watching.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

I'm in need of a nominal 3' wide by 36" span (72"+ circumference) deep
rib conveyor belt for moving dirt, and the related seaming parts and
drive rolls. I looked on McMaster and they seem to only have conveyor
components for food applications. Any ideas where I can get my needed
components pretty cheap?

Thanks,

Pete C.

PS: Metalworking content - conveyor belt installs on a welded steel
framework.

sorry i can't help with sourcing your parts, only wanted to comment on the
side. only thing i could think of would be to beg a guy who owns/operates a
gravel pit if he has any left over lengths of conveyor belt, but i don't
recall ever seeing "deep rib" belts at my local gravel crusher guy's place.

wow. i just came in the house after rolling up a treadmill belt i liberated
from the town dump. i've been wanting to for years home-build a conveyor
belt, powered by a treadmill motor/rollers. i was thinking it didn't have
to be very heavy duty at all if it were just *me* shoveling dirt (for ONE
project), i could even pause if the thing started to get bogged down, three
(four? not sure how fast i can shovel and/or how fast the belt would run)
shovelfuls of dirt at a time on the belt, i figured it couldn't weigh THAT
much. haven't gotten around to building it yet though, prolly never will.
been collecting treadmill belts from the dump/freecycle. i was thinking
about using an old aluminum ladder (16 feet?) as the frame, maybe 1/4" ply
on the rungs, maybe some sort of slippery material on the plywood,
polyethylene sheet, formica? gotta collect several belts to span the ladder
twice. don't know if it's going to work. might have to put some kind of
rubber sleeve onto the drive roller, they use tension on treadmills, the
ladder i don't think could sustain that much tension. have no idea pete
what you're building, just your post made me want to comment. my initial
desire was to remove/replace the crumbling concrete floor in my basement and
in the process dig down a foot or so to raise the height of the ceiling,
that project now seems overwhelmingly overwhelming. now i'm thinking i'd
like to have a (very) lightweight conveyor belt to help me load my firewood
shed. splitting logs about 20' away from the shed, sick and tired of
THROWING the wood into the shed (i think it's 12 cords)(*long* past the
point of STACKING it). thought maybe having a conveyor belt might help, it
would get the chunks up to the top of the pile. have like 5 ~ 6? pieces of
firewood on the belt at one time didn't seem like i'd be overloading it or
bogging it down.
oh, you said "deep rib". sorry.
oh, and my original plan was to try to sew the belt sections together. the
original factory (seemingly vulcanized) join didn't seem possible for me,
homebuilding. couldn't think of how to get ahold of a sewing machine that
would work. now i'm wondering/hoping using pop rivets (head side down)
might work, or at least kinda half-assed work, for this light duty machine.
i was also wondering about modifying a hay bale elevator, looking at one it
seemed it would be easier to start from scratch.
curious, what're you building. why is it only 36" long? is it some kind of
ultra-heavy duty application? tons and tons of dirt 8 hours a day 5 days a
week 52 weeks a year? good luck with your project. let us know how it
works out. post pics somewhere so we can see it in action.

b.w.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

[...]

Deep rib as in for moving dirt on a pretty steep incline ~45 degree.
Only the 36" or so span because I don't need to lift it very far.
Relatively light duty application, no rocks bigger than a few inches for
the most part, and only get used now an then. I could conceivably use a
treadmill type belt and bolt on wood ribs, but I'd like to find the
proper material. Conveyor belts are normally seamed and there are
standard kits for that. McMaster has belts and seaming kits, but not the
right type of belt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Wixon wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...
[...]

When I was selling wood our method of loading was to use a standard farm
hay elevator to take the wood up to the truck. The old style with the
deep metal trough works great for wood. The newer lightweight ones are
JUNK for that the wood gets hung up all the time. However you could use
the newer unit with some type of bed for the wood to ride on.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

William Wixon wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

[...]

Visit MSCDirect.com ( http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm )and enter
"conveyor belt" in the search at the top of the screen.
Not sure it has exactly what you want (PVC, neoprene, ply, etc) , but it's a
start.

-Smitty

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Smith wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

William Wixon wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

[...]

Nope, what they have is similar to what McMaster has, stuff for handling
packages and food on production lines, not stuff for handling dirt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 23, 11:48*am, "Pete C." wrote:
I'm in need of a nominal 3' wide by 36" span (72"+ circumference) deep
rib conveyor belt for moving dirt, and the related seaming parts and
drive rolls. I looked on McMaster and they seem to only have conveyor
components for food applications. Any ideas where I can get my needed
components pretty cheap?

Thanks,

* * * * Pete C.

PS: Metalworking content - conveyor belt installs on a welded steel
framework.

I don't know how cheap, but these guys ought to have what you're
looking for:
http://www.conveyorbelt.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I recently built a conveyer for my mussel growing operation and I just
used flat belt and screwed pieces of hardwood 2" high by 1" thick
every foot along the belt. I use it to lift mussels at a 45 degree
angle up 10'. It would work fine for dirt. For the drive roller I
welded 6 pieces of 1 1/4" flat bar into 1" bar stock to form a paddle
wheel and then ground them all so it looks football shaped. I made
rollers that the belt rides on every foot out of 1.5" abs pipe, made
hubs for the pipe with hardwood and adjustable circle hole cutter.
When I priced all the commercially available items to build this it
was going to be quite expensive.