Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nasty electric motor

Today, I got a chance to save the machine I need to repair or make a shaft for. The first
order of business was look at the drive motor that was for all practical purposes, seized.

Yanked it off the lathe (1 year newer than me), pulled the end bells, bearings spin. WTF?

Armature firmly stuck in field coils, tons of crap in the end bells. Obviously this isn't
a TEFC motor.

After 20 minutes of washing out with water and tapping with a dead blow, I got the
armature out. I've never seen a motor tied up like that.

The lathe is used to turn friction materials just in case you wonder.

Just wanted to say, it is always worth a look inside before you give up on a motor.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Today, I got a chance to save the machine I need to repair or make a shaft
for. The first
order of business was look at the drive motor that was for all practical
purposes, seized.

Yanked it off the lathe (1 year newer than me), pulled the end bells,
bearings spin. WTF?

Armature firmly stuck in field coils, tons of crap in the end bells.
Obviously this isn't
a TEFC motor.

After 20 minutes of washing out with water and tapping with a dead blow, I
got the
armature out. I've never seen a motor tied up like that.

The lathe is used to turn friction materials just in case you wonder.

Just wanted to say, it is always worth a look inside before you give up on
a motor.

Wes

It is indeed. I had a 5 hp drip proof given to me years ago because it was
locked up. Guy said it had set out in the weather and the bearing froze.

I pulled the end bells only to find good bearing just like you. But the mud
daubers had glued the armature to the coils. I just kept it wet for a few
hours blasted it out with a garden hose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, my smirk: Was at a tent sale of returns from Northern Hydraulics.
2hp TEFC motor, brand new at (TA DA!!) $.50, (yep, half a buck). Bought
it on the spot. Took it home, ran perfectly ..... for about 10 minutes
before it started heating up. Took it apart, gave the bearing a smart
rap to seat it fully, been running my table saw for years.

Tim wrote:
"Wes" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I saw this very same repair procedure described as: percussive maintenance,
recently.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"RoyJ" wrote in message
m...
OK, my smirk: Was at a tent sale of returns from Northern Hydraulics. 2hp
TEFC motor, brand new at (TA DA!!) $.50, (yep, half a buck). Bought it on
the spot. Took it home, ran perfectly ..... for about 10 minutes before
it started heating up. Took it apart, gave the bearing a smart rap to seat
it fully, been running my table saw for years.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:59:51 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I saw this very same repair procedure described as: percussive maintenance,
recently.

Did that with an electric drill after it had been dropped off the step
ladder.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

At my place this is called "judicious application of superior force"

Wild_Bill wrote:
I saw this very same repair procedure described as: percussive
maintenance, recently.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

I saw this very same repair procedure described as: percussive maintenance,
recently.

Did that with an electric drill after it had been dropped off the step
ladder.

Speaking of electric drills, while screwing down drywall for my machine room, my cordless
drill quit charging. A quick google found that the charger for this drill is flaky. I
have the battery pack attached to my variable voltage / current limited bench power supply
atm. Wonders of wonders, the drill is fine, the charger is dead.

I really want to use my 14.4 drill since the 18v one is a wrist killer.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:19:04 -0400, the infamous Wes
scrawled the following:

Today, I got a chance to save the machine I need to repair or make a shaft for. The first
order of business was look at the drive motor that was for all practical purposes, seized.

Yanked it off the lathe (1 year newer than me), pulled the end bells, bearings spin. WTF?

Armature firmly stuck in field coils, tons of crap in the end bells. Obviously this isn't
a TEFC motor.

After 20 minutes of washing out with water and tapping with a dead blow, I got the
armature out. I've never seen a motor tied up like that.

The lathe is used to turn friction materials just in case you wonder.

Just wanted to say, it is always worth a look inside before you give up on a motor.

I take it that you believe you saved the motor by removing all the
detritus from the innards? Bueno, bwana.

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Just wanted to say, it is always worth a look inside before you give up on a motor.

I take it that you believe you saved the motor by removing all the
detritus from the innards? Bueno, bwana.

I put it back together today, didn't hang it back on the lathe. I'm a bit bummed, the
shaft I thought I could make another one of is part of a gear / clutch basket made out
one piece of metal. Gonna have to weld it. There is a bearing on the shaft that I can't
get off non-destructively so I'm holding off until morning. Going to bring in some
aluminum foil to wrap it with, didn't feel like watching rags burn.

I did a bit of welding practice on some scrap today. I don't weld that often so wanted to
practice a bit.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Today, I got a chance to save the machine I need to repair or make a shaft for. The first
order of business was look at the drive motor that was for all practical purposes, seized.

Yanked it off the lathe (1 year newer than me), pulled the end bells, bearings spin. WTF?

Armature firmly stuck in field coils, tons of crap in the end bells. Obviously this isn't
a TEFC motor.

I got a Bridgeport J head out of a guy's garage.
It had been an auxilliary spindle on some kind of
huge planing mill, and was still attached to an
enormous aluminum dovetail piece. The dovetail
was nearly a foot wide.

Anyway, just cleaning the thing up, the motor
seemed to spin easily, so I decided the bearings
were probably OK, and just put it all back
together. As soon as I hit the switch, the motor
spun a bit and seized up with a horrble screech.
So, I tore it apart.
I was totally astounded! The entire inside of the
motor was packed with several-inch-long magnesium
chips. I was able to fill a small trash can with
the chips. I torch tested them, and they were
definitely part magnesium, but might have been
duralumin or aluminum-magnesium alloy.
The bearings were easy to find at the bearing
outfit. Amazingly, the motor didn't seem to mind
being packed with sharp, combustible chips!

Jon

WTB electric motor [email protected] Metalworking 2 January 14th 09 04:49 AM
Electric motor Oren Home Repair 12 November 2nd 07 01:46 AM
Where can I sell an electric motor? garlicman Electronics 2 August 22nd 07 02:10 PM
electric motor help William Wixon Metalworking 9 February 24th 06 04:50 AM