Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default New project

On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:13:42 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 21:42:20 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 19:05:00 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus27128
scrawled the following:

On 2009-06-08, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
Yeah, it prolly has something simple like a shorted cap.

I am greatly hopeful that it is the case, as opposed to, say,
non-working centrifugal switch.

Cross all your appendages, sir.

Yes, that thing looks nice indeed. The use of natural gas may be a
problem if my 1/2" line for the grill is not sufficient. My default
plan is to have fun fixing it and sell, but I often end up keeping
some such stuff.

A 1/2" line will easily handle that thing, but whether or not it will
handle both your furnace and your pressure washer at the same time
might be the killer.

Well, the furnace and water heater are on their separate lines.

I missed the grill in that sentence before. Mea culpa.

The line to the grill is 3/4" pipe, later reduced to 1/2" ID pipe,
going maybe 50 feet. The grill is connected by means of a quick
disconnect. If the delivery capacity of that grill line is sufficient,
which I greatly doubt, I would put a QD on the heater.

I could have sworn I'd seen 100 or 150kBTU worth of forge burners run
from a single propane bottle and 1/4 or 3/8 line. I think the
pressure might be greater than the 15psi of natural gas, though.

I guess you could call the gas company and ask. shrug

Residential natural gas pressure is more like 0.25 PSIG.

I googledit and you're right, Don. The pipeline man who
hydraulic-gophered my line into my house 7 years ago told me that our
gas ran on 15psi, so that was probably the system up to the meter.
I see that larger cities can run up to 60psig in dual parallel lines
and pipelines can run 200-1,500psig.

http://www.aga.org/Kc/aboutnaturalga...verySystem.htm

Naturally-aspirated forge burners like Reil et al typically run on 20
PSI propane. These can produce 400K BTU/hr with a small dia feed line.
A 20 lb propane tank like those used on grills has about 366,000 BTU,
so it could run for most of an hour at 400K BTU/hr -- in warm weather.

Thanks for the info. As I said, I brainfarted 44k for some reason.

--
The doctor can bury his mistakes, but an architect
can only advise his client to plant vines.

A useful little project Don Foreman Metalworking 37 July 16th 08 05:21 AM
Project help [email protected] Metalworking 6 February 27th 08 09:03 PM
New project Robatoy Woodworking 25 April 10th 07 12:40 AM
OT New project Robatoy Woodworking 16 April 9th 07 05:09 PM
Help with my first project [email protected] Woodworking 2 July 7th 06 07:33 PM