Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Chicago politics

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 01:59:39 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

You've got to hand it to Chicago. Not only is it so corrupt that nobody
dares fight the corruption for fear of becoming part of the aggregate in a
concrete building foundation, but even the sportswriters are driven to
paroxysms of disgust and flights of literary acrobatics. From the Sun-Times
today:

"The City of Chicago, led by Mayor Daley and a vast and tumorous army of
aldermen and bagmen and yesmen and opportunists and spineless, parasitic
political-machine halfwits of forms never seen outside the roiling cesspool
of governmental slop-trough greed, has proven itself unworthy of something
as potentially delicious and fulfilling as the 2016 Olympic Games..."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/olymp...PT-rick05.stng

It's an entertaining read. g

VERY! Any word on the legbreakers visiting Rick yet? g

I adore your quoted paragraph. It's what comes to mind when I think of
CONgresscritters, or gov't in general.

---
So far Mr. Obama has used his personally exciting presidency for initiatives
that are spending public money on a scale not seen since ancient Egypt.
-- Daniel Henninger
WSJ Online, 4 June 2009
"Obama's America: Too Fat to Fail
The age of the induced industrial coma."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

I thought you'd like that. And keep in mind, that's what they put on the
*sports pages* in Chicago. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I used to think the only difference between Afghan and US politics was
that the Afghan's don't put as much effort into hiding corruption.
Looking at Chicago, I'm not sure there's a difference.

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

But we're too wise to elect products of ChiTown politics to national
office.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David R.Birch" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

I'm more inclined to believe we recognized that a politician who was
fire-formed in that furnace is tough enough to deal with almost anything,
despite a relative lack of experience. And anyone who can survive it without
being sucked into its vortex must be one hell of a sharp guy.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

But we're too wise to elect products of ChiTown politics to national
office.

David

I'm more inclined to believe we recognized that a politician who was
fire-formed in that furnace is tough enough to deal with almost anything,
despite a relative lack of experience.

Seen the lack of experience, still waiting on signs of toughness.

And anyone who can survive it without being sucked into its vortex must
be one hell of a sharp guy.

--
Ed Huntress

He's not stupid like most of the political Illionnoyances, and
certainly sharp enough to not be caught at the typical petty theft all
too common down there. I wish I could take him as seriously as he does
himself. Probably won't be as damaging as Nixon or Clinton.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

But we're too wise to elect products of ChiTown politics to national
office.

David

I'm more inclined to believe we recognized that a politician who was
fire-formed in that furnace is tough enough to deal with almost anything,
despite a relative lack of experience.

Seen the lack of experience...

I doubt if anyone here really knows the full game plan of this
administration. Long-time observers of the White House are repeatedly
remarking with surprise about how things keep unfolding in surprising and
very smart ways.

still waiting on signs of toughness.

Ask the Israelis. Their newspapers today pretty much concede that he's just
put Bibi into a sealed box. Bush, Clinton, Reagan...they all just folded
their hands rather than provoke the pro-Israel lobby.

And anyone who can survive it without being sucked into its vortex must
be one hell of a sharp guy.

--
Ed Huntress

He's not stupid like most of the political Illionnoyances, and certainly
sharp enough to not be caught at the typical petty theft all too common
down there. I wish I could take him as seriously as he does himself.
Probably won't be as damaging as Nixon or Clinton.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

I doubt if anyone here really knows the full game plan of this
administration. Long-time observers of the White House are repeatedly
remarking with surprise about how things keep unfolding in surprising and
very smart ways.

Smart? Suprising for sure. How the UAW got a head of bond holders, that was a suprise to
them.

Banks not being able to repay tarp funds and go on with their business, another suprise.

Talks of taxing employee provided health care as income is a suprise. On that one if they
expect the employer to pay half of the SSI and Medicare (cough cough mearly an illusion)
that is going to go over well. Raise someones income by 12K, hit them with federal income
tax indexing and that 14%+ combined SSI and Medicare tax which will be passed down in some
form and that isn't going to be a winner.

Now if they wanted to make the self employed able to get the same tax benefit that someone
with employeer provided insurance gets, that would be perfectly fine with me. Fair is
fair.

still waiting on signs of toughness.

Ask the Israelis. Their newspapers today pretty much concede that he's just
put Bibi into a sealed box. Bush, Clinton, Reagan...they all just folded
their hands rather than provoke the pro-Israel lobby.

With Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff, I'm supprised how this is going. I've heard he was
in the IDF but wiki said he was a civilian volunteer repairing military trucks. I need to
look more into that since it doesn't track with what I've read and heard.

Anyway, son of a Zionist, siding with a President that doesn't seem to be pro Israel, that
is an interesting item to keep my eye on.

Btw, the book came in. Too late to mail it out to you since the counter had closed. I'll
try to get it out to you Monday, I'm working tomorrow.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:35:12 -0500, the infamous "David R.Birch"
scrawled the following:

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

When I sent Ed's link to my gov't buddy in D.C., he came back with
this:

"It's interesting that the writer points out how dirty Chicago
politics is, and how the Chicago political machine has pushed foisted
many bad programs on the unsuspecting (or effectively powerless)
public, without once mentioning Obama's name or presidency.

There are no coincidences in politics..."

---
So far Mr. Obama has used his personally exciting presidency for initiatives
that are spending public money on a scale not seen since ancient Egypt.
-- Daniel Henninger
WSJ Online, 4 June 2009
"Obama's America: Too Fat to Fail
The age of the induced industrial coma."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:02:35 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Ed, are you still as gung ho on Obama as you were in November? Have
you seen any stumbling or miscues yet?

---
So far Mr. Obama has used his personally exciting presidency for initiatives
that are spending public money on a scale not seen since ancient Egypt.
-- Daniel Henninger
WSJ Online, 4 June 2009
"Obama's America: Too Fat to Fail
The age of the induced industrial coma."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Sure.

Have you seen any stumbling or miscues yet?

Of course. Only a coward or a dunderhead *wouldn't* make mistakes when
trying to fix the nearly impossible litany of stupidities that he walked
into. If you don't make mistakes, you either are too cowardly to try, or too
stupid to understand why it's necessary to do so.

---
So far Mr. Obama has used his personally exciting presidency for
initiatives
that are spending public money on a scale not seen since ancient Egypt.
-- Daniel Henninger

Henninger's column isn't called "Wonder Land" for nothing. g

--
Ed Huntress

OT - Chicago politics Karl Townsend Metalworking 0 June 5th 09 12:36 PM
OT - Politics J T Woodworking 309 January 3rd 08 11:51 PM
Politics Carlos Woodworking 1 December 30th 07 10:47 PM
Chicago AWS/FabTech Chicago show RDF Metalworking 0 August 9th 07 03:05 PM
Some politics netprospect UK diy 0 July 9th 07 11:29 AM