Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this a Crapsman . . or what

Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears. Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. Any comments, or etc?

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 13:12:13 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears. Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. Any comments, or etc?

Bob Swinney

Got a link?

I bought a really, really cheapo one several years ago from
a local chain. "Shop Force", made in China. It came with a
10 inch carbide blade and has a 2hp universal motor (ie
brushes). It vibrates really, really bad. So bad that it is
virtually useless. One of these days I'll see if I can
balance it. Suspect it is the motor, but it might just be
the blade (shrug). The main frame underneath the table is
plastic too.

Take a look underneath if you can, big difference between
vendors there. If I was to do it again I would look for an
old table saw that uses a standard AC capacitive start motor
and a belt drive. Those old machines were bomb proof...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-01, Robert Swinney wrote:
Bob Swinney
wrote:

Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears. Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. Any comments, or etc?

[ ... ]

I bought a really, really cheapo one several years ago from
a local chain. "Shop Force", made in China. It came with a

[ ... ]

the blade (shrug). The main frame underneath the table is
plastic too.

[ ... ]

Take a look underneath if you can, big difference between
vendors there. If I was to do it again I would look for an
old table saw that uses a standard AC capacitive start motor
and a belt drive. Those old machines were bomb proof...

Thanks, Leon but I am fairly sold on the portabe feature, so I can fold
it up and out of the way after infrequent use in basically a metal shop.
I suspect portability pretty much dictates a lot of plastic.

I would suggest that you make it portable enough so you can
wheel it outdoors and use it there, not in the shop. Some woods produce
a faily acidic sawdust, which can cause significant rusting in your
metalworking tools. Generate the sawdust outdoors.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good idea, Don. Plans will be to roll it out to the carport
Bob Swinneyh.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 1, 1:12*pm, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears. *Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. *Any comments, or etc?

Bob Swinney

Bob,

I have a number of different saws including several Unisaws and I have
found the type of saw that you are considering is well worth having.

Portability counts for a lot.

Any saw you buy you want to try running without a blade so any
vibration can be isolated.

The saw I have like the one you are looking at came from Sears and was
built by Skil.

And as has been mentoned by others, I do most of my cuts outside to
keep the mess to a minimum.

Do you have a link to your prospective buy?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Jun 1, 1:12 pm, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears.
Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. Any comments, or etc?

Bob Swinney

Bob,

I have a number of different saws including several Unisaws and I have
found the type of saw that you are considering is well worth having.

TMT, you have already proven you have no tools or no brain. You do have your
mothers (both of them) dildos that you like the licking fecal matter batter.
Please stay out of our metalworking group and go back to your kook gun
grabbing group

Portability counts for a lot.

Any saw you buy you want to try running without a blade so any
vibration can be isolated.

The saw I have like the one you are looking at came from Sears and was
built by Skil.

And as has been mentoned by others, I do most of my cuts outside to
keep the mess to a minimum.

Do you have a link to your prospective buy?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 7:12*am, "Basil Karlo" wrote:
[...]

LOL...Thanks for slithering by Basil...I need your opinion of a future
tool purchase.

As always, I am actively involved in minimizing the carbon footprint
of conservatives everywhere.

I am looking for a bandsaw to use to cut up wingers like yourself
after us liberals are through with you but I am having problems
finding one that can handle all the crap you guys are made of.

And then there is the problem of all that methane you produce.

Do you have any suggestions for a suitable bandsaw that has an
adequate Conservative Republican A-hole Pump (CRAP) system?

Remember because of the methane you are full of we need an explosive
proof motor.

I guess we could just try feeding you to the hogs whole but when all
of you wingers are the size of Rush even the hogs gag.

And Basil...considering your Rush like size doesn't it get crowded
under your bed with the dust bunnies?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:29:19 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

snip
Thanks, Leon but I am fairly sold on the portabe feature, so I can fold it up and out of the way
after infrequent use in basically a metal shop. I suspect portability pretty much dictates a lot of plastic.

Well the reason I asked about which one is that I have seen
this same saw for sale at Harbor Freight, Menard's,
Lowe's... everyone seems to have it or too close for
comfort...

If the one you are looking at is anything like mine it won't
be much more useful than a chainsaw. Actually that isn't
true, a chainsaw would work better.

Mine vibrates so bad that there is no way to make an
accurate cut. It is impossible to hold the board steady with
a vibrating table underneath it. That and the table isn't
really large enough to support anything much other than
really small stuff. This is pretty close to what my saw
looks like he

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=66630

If you get one the first thing to do is fire it up and see
how bad it shakes. If you can't set a small block of wood on
the table and not have it walk away keep looking...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 1, 12:12*pm, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears. *Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. *Any comments, or etc?

Bob Swinney

This is what I have:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=tab le+saw

I didn't get it from Sears, though, we have a big Dewalt dealer in
town, what I got was a factory refurb for about half list price. I've
ripped miles of slats on it and cross-cut tons of plywood and pine
crate ends with it. I also bought the optional telescoping table
extensions for fore and aft and sideways. It's been a really good
tool. They now have a wheeled stand like some of the Jap saws do. It
doesn't hurt tha the regional repair center is about a mile down the
road, either.

Before that, in my poor and apartment-dwelling days, I built a
collapsible saw table. Had hinged sides that split at opposite
corners to take down and about a 3' square top made out of masonite
and plywood, oiled and waxed. Saw power supplied by a Skil worm drive
upside-down. I used the hell out of that, too. The works folded down
into a bundle about 4" thick and wasn't that slow to set up. It all
sat on top of the B&D Workmate. It's amazing what you can accomplish
with such a primitive setup.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is what I have:http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Name=Tools&key...

[...]

Stan..do you have a picture on line showing that collapsible saw
table?

Sounds like something I threw together years ago when I was in the
apartment phase too.

You are right...it is amazing what you can accomplish with so little.

It would seem that we forget that at times.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 2:07*pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:29:19 -0500, "Robert Swinney"

snip

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...Item.do?itemid...

If you get one the first thing to do is fire it up and see
how bad it shakes. If you can't set a small block of wood on
the table and not have it walk away keep looking...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids *MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email

I have this saw (renamed by Sears and made by Skil) and it has its
place.

It is a saw that you can easily transport and would be the one that
you lend out.

The cuts I have made are satisfactory for the jobs it has been used
on.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 2:19*pm, wrote:
[...]

I also have this saw.

It is considered to be a very nice portable contractor type saw and if
you only can afford one this is the one to buy.

As has been mentioned earlier, you can pick it up as a rebuilt for a
reduction of price.

Here is one supplier that does carry reconditioned DeWalt
equipment...unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment.

http://www.toolking.com/DeWalt_DW744...ith_stand.aspx

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

And don't forget your other problem of not being able to do what you dream
about since your wrists are too limp from whacking off to pictures of Janet
Reno and the other old liberal gals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 2:19 pm, wrote:
[...]

No, he has pictures of your two mothers having a party with their dildo and
you watching from behind the sofa. Sicko.

Sounds like something I threw together years ago when I was in the
apartment phase too.

You are right...it is amazing what you can accomplish with so little.

It would seem that we forget that at times.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-06-01, Robert Swinney wrote:

Bob Swinney
.. .
wrote:

Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears. *Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. *Any comments, or etc?

* * * * [ ... ]

[...]

Yup, outside is the place for it, where I do most of my sawing. The
Dewalt is light enough I can pick it up with one hand, it's just
bulky. Significant plastic content in the body, tough stuff, though.
Most of the weight is in the table top, which is coated aluminum
alloy. Has a hose connector for a shop vac, used that a couple of
times until I saw what was spewing out of the vac exhaust. It was
just separating the fine stuff out and blowing it out for a second go-
around. It also was settling on tool tables and the like, had a lot
of dusting to do before rust set in.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 2, 3:57*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jun 2, 2:19*pm, wrote:

[...]

TMT- Hide quoted text -

Nope, the thing is buried in the heap. The whole idea was out of a
book I picked up in the early 80s, basically a whole woodworking shop
you could knock down. There were inserts for an upside-down saber
saw, a portable drill "drill press", the circular saw, a router for
shaper duty. The "drill press" jig also did double duty as a drum
sander. All very clever and utilized the same base and table top. I
didn't have a saber saw or router at the time and the "drill press"
jigs I'd used with hand drills basically sucked, weren't even good for
paint stirring. So all that got built was the circular saw. The
original was based on a direct drive saw, so I adapted it for the worm
drive. Came out somewhat larger. The knock-down feature on the base
was my own addition, two adjacent panels had solid strap hinges, the
open ends had those half-lap lift-off hinges like are on some
equipment box lids. Overlaps were designed so that the thing was a
rigid box when it was all linked together. Worked remarkably well. I
happened to have a Real Hardware store just down the road with
everything from steam hose to horse shoes, they had extruded channel
just the right size to take a regular miter gauge, so that's what
ended up being inletted into the saw top. These days I'd use the "T"
channel extrusions the woodworker's suppliers have, didn't have that
20 years back.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote:

Lately, I've been visiting a prospective acquisition at the local Sears. Their 10 Inch portable
bench saw looks good. Any comments, or etc?

Bob Swinney

How well does the fence system work?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

crapsman tools BD[_2_] Woodworking 14 March 3rd 09 07:44 AM
New Crapsman saws any good? Silvan Woodworking 5 December 8th 04 10:14 PM
crapsman may be crapsman - but gotta give a thumbs up to Sears Rob V Woodworking 17 October 16th 04 02:43 PM