Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Logistics of shipping a mill from Illinois, some advise please!

Interested in a mill that is in Illinois. Weight is under 4000 lbs.
What is the cheapest way to get it shipped to me in southern
California? I'd be willing to pick it up from a truck depot, say in
Anaheim or Orange, CA. Aren't there networks that arrange "rideshare"
on shipments across the country as oppose to standard (expensive)
rigging and moving companies? I won't have the time to run a trailer
to Chicago and back. The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. Just trying to find creative ways around that. Thanks for
your advise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"trg-s338" wrote in message
Interested in a mill that is in Illinois. Weight is under 4000 lbs.
What is the cheapest way to get it shipped to me in southern
California? I'd be willing to pick it up from a truck depot, say in
Anaheim or Orange, CA. Aren't there networks that arrange "rideshare"
on shipments across the country as oppose to standard (expensive)
rigging and moving companies? I won't have the time to run a trailer
to Chicago and back. The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. Just trying to find creative ways around that. Thanks for
your advise.

Call a broker.
They place loads.
Palletized stuff that can go in closed trailers is cheaper.
You'll have to Air-Ride it if there are electronics.

JC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

trg-s338 wrote:
Interested in a mill that is in Illinois. Weight is under 4000 lbs.
What is the cheapest way to get it shipped to me in southern
California? I'd be willing to pick it up from a truck depot, say in
Anaheim or Orange, CA. Aren't there networks that arrange "rideshare"
on shipments across the country as oppose to standard (expensive)
rigging and moving companies? I won't have the time to run a trailer
to Chicago and back. The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. Just trying to find creative ways around that. Thanks for
your advise.

Call Old Dominion for a quote. Don't use
their internet quote service. Have the exact
weight and dimensions of the item. I think
you will be pleasantly surprised.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

trg-s338 wrote:

Interested in a mill that is in Illinois. Weight is under 4000 lbs.
What is the cheapest way to get it shipped to me in southern
California? I'd be willing to pick it up from a truck depot, say in
Anaheim or Orange, CA. Aren't there networks that arrange "rideshare"
on shipments across the country as oppose to standard (expensive)
rigging and moving companies? I won't have the time to run a trailer
to Chicago and back. The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. Just trying to find creative ways around that. Thanks for
your advise.

I seem to remember someone on practicalmachinist website that is a trucker that often
moved loads on the way back. Will the seller palletize and load it?

Are you buying from a guy in a garage, a manufacturing facility with docks, or some other
source?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Freightquote

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

�The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. �Just trying to find creative ways around that. �Thanks for
your advise.

Trg

forwardair.com Thery will need it to be on a pallet of pallets. And
crated.

Bob AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:
trg-s338 wrote:
Interested in a mill that is in Illinois. Weight is under 4000 lbs.
What is the cheapest way to get it shipped to me in southern
California? I'd be willing to pick it up from a truck depot, say in
Anaheim or Orange, CA. Aren't there networks that arrange "rideshare"
on shipments across the country as oppose to standard (expensive)
rigging and moving companies? I won't have the time to run a trailer
to Chicago and back. The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. Just trying to find creative ways around that. Thanks for
your advise.

Call Old Dominion for a quote. Don't use
their internet quote service. Have the exact
weight and dimensions of the item. I think
you will be pleasantly surprised.

This would be my first move as well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 8, 9:31*am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
trg-s338 wrote:
Interested in a mill that is in Illinois. *Weight is under 4000 lbs.
What is the cheapest way to get it shipped to me in southern
California? *I'd be willing to pick it up from a truck depot, say in
Anaheim or Orange, CA. *Aren't there networks that arrange "rideshare"
on shipments across the country as oppose to standard (expensive)
rigging and moving companies? *I won't have the time to run a trailer
to Chicago and back. *The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. *Just trying to find creative ways around that. *Thanks for
your advise.

Call Old Dominion for a quote. *Don't use
their internet quote service. *Have the exact
weight and dimensions of the item. *I think
you will be pleasantly surprised.

This would be my first move as well.

Thank you for the advise everyone, I'll check out your leads. Welcome
more ideas, keep 'em coming!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

trg-s338 wrote:
Interested in a mill that is in Illinois. Weight is under 4000 lbs.
What is the cheapest way to get it shipped to me in southern
California? I'd be willing to pick it up from a truck depot, say in
Anaheim or Orange, CA. Aren't there networks that arrange "rideshare"
on shipments across the country as oppose to standard (expensive)
rigging and moving companies? I won't have the time to run a trailer
to Chicago and back. The cost of shipping may exceed the cost of the
used mill. Just trying to find creative ways around that. Thanks for
your advise.

Last month I shipped a 1700# Enco mill from Milwaukee to northern
California. I used Unishippers:

http://www.unishippers.com/

It cost $526.32 plus $40 for insurance.

David