JB

Default Shipping a Clausing 8520 Mill?

Hi Guys,

\I have a person interested in my Clausing 8520 Mill. I am in NJ and he is
in Florida. I have never shipped anything this large, I am looking for
suggestions on how to prep it for shipping and what company to use.

Thanks.

Joe...

ATP*

"JB" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

\I have a person interested in my Clausing 8520 Mill. I am in NJ and he
is in Florida. I have never shipped anything this large, I am looking for
suggestions on how to prep it for shipping and what company to use.

Thanks.

Joe...

If Forward Air will do it and you don't mind dealing with a PITA company,
they may be cheapest. You will have to bring it to their terminal, prepay
the exact amount in cash and your customer will have to pick it up at their
terminal in Florida, if they have one close enough. Otherwise Yellow
Freight is very flexible and accomodating, or perhaps a shipping broker. Not
sure where you can get specs for prepping it. Between the prep and the
shipping, will it really be worthwhile?

Gunner

On 10 May 2005 03:18:12 GMT, Ignoramus20962
wrote:

On Mon, 9 May 2005 22:01:24 -0400, JB wrote:
Hi Guys,

\I have a person interested in my Clausing 8520 Mill. I am in NJ and he is
in Florida. I have never shipped anything this large, I am looking for
suggestions on how to prep it for shipping and what company to use.

How I packed a Clausing 8530 mill a week ago:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/packing/clausing/

The buyer paid me $970 for packing it and delivering to a terminal (in
addition to selling price). He paid freight also. So I tried to do a
"real good job". He is a very nice gentleman. It took me and my FIL a
whole day to do.

VERY NICELY DONE.

And this coming from someone who has shipped machines professionally.
VERY nicely done.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
rigger

Very nice job but lots of "overkill", especially since most trucking
companies you would usually use, such as Yellow, use enclosed vans
meaning the outer crate was not needed. The company I worked for
shipped machines of this and larger sizes on a regular basis but only
used a full crate if the machine was going overseas; all others got an
open/partial crate. Was the overarm removed because of loading height
constraints? I've never seen any mills,during my 13 years as a
machinery mover, with an overarm removed for any other reason. The
block under the knee was a nice touch although probably not needed as
it's rare to see this on a new mill (at least 20 years ago). Nice
pictures.
The main issue should always be safety and it looks as though you had
this well rigged.
I would also add something like Rust Veto to all bare metal surfaces
before covering the entire machine with plastic. It also helps to have
a flat, closed surface on your shipping pallet to staple the plastic to
in order to keep out as much of that warm moist Florida air as
possible.

dennis in nca

lionslair at consolidated dot net

rigger wrote:

[...]

I have a friend with several large CNC do-all machines - he had shipped
in from ?Penn? - one came in rusty because it wasn't in a box, only an
open crate with tar paper on the outside! - naturally it was cut just
enough to let in rain and then steam up under the Sun to rust.

One machine was accepted, the other turned around. He got the second
in a double box. I guess someone got in trouble.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

rigger

In order to risk "nothing" you'd have to take out an insurance policy
to cover all phases of the move. Generally this would be considered
impractical unless you're a moving professional or the replacement cost
of the item demands it.
Makes me think of the time I worked in a bosun's chair dismanteling a
large piece of equipment. I would double check all the rigging every
morning before I "went up" and again after lunch before we started
again. Even though I was confident in all details of the rigging, in
the back of my mind was a small picture of what the result of stopping
suddenly after a 6 story fall might be. Even though I knew I had made
myself as safe as possible I felt, deep down inside, there was still a
risk I would have to put up with.

dennis in nca