Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default An automobile question

Grandaughter has a 89 Toyota Corolla and I
can't find the engine oil dip stick. There is
one into the transmission, I can see where it
goes and it has ATF on it, but can't for the life
of me find one for the crankcase.
Anyone know where it can be hiding?
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 May 2009 20:32:46 -0600, the infamous Lew Hartswick
scrawled the following:

Grandaughter has a 89 Toyota Corolla and I
can't find the engine oil dip stick. There is
one into the transmission, I can see where it
goes and it has ATF on it, but can't for the life
of me find one for the crankcase.
Anyone know where it can be hiding?

On a few vehicles way back when, the dipstick was attached to the
wide-mouthed filler cap.

Hmm, I quit wrenching 4 years earlier than your vehicle, but most Toys
had the filler on the passenger side back then.

Call your local Toy dealer and ask, eh, lew?

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Grandaughter has a 89 Toyota Corolla and I
can't find the engine oil dip stick. There is
one into the transmission, I can see where it
goes and it has ATF on it, but can't for the life
of me find one for the crankcase.
Anyone know where it can be hiding?
...lew...

Which one is it Lew?

Model Year Range Engine Chassis
Corolla 2Dr Coupe 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Corolla 4Dr Sedan 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Corolla GTS Coupe 1988 - 1991 4AGE AE92
Corolla2WD Wagon JPN 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Corolla4WD Sedan JPN 1989 - 1990 4AFE AE95
Corolla4WD Wagon JPN 1988 - 1992 4AFE AE95

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick writes:

Grandaughter has a 89 Toyota Corolla and I
can't find the engine oil dip stick. There is
one into the transmission, I can see where it
goes and it has ATF on it, but can't for the life
of me find one for the crankcase.
Anyone know where it can be hiding?

I find the thought that my daughter's 1990 Toyota pickup may not be the
absolute nadir of automotive maintainability (lord, that truck's hard to
work on. Give me a good, straightforward Chrysler!) extremely
frightening. Here's a link I found through a quick google:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_t...yota _Corolla
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 6, 10:32*pm, Lew Hartswick wrote:
Grandaughter has a 89 Toyota Corolla and I
can't find the engine oil dip stick. There is
one into the transmission, I can see where it
goes and it has ATF on it, but can't for the life
of me find one for the crankcase.
Anyone know where it can be hiding?
* * ...lew...

Look for the one that says "710".

I'm sorry, couldn't resist. I've seen tough ones to find, good luck on
it.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Grandaughter has a 89 Toyota Corolla and I
can't find the engine oil dip stick. There is
one into the transmission, I can see where it
goes and it has ATF on it, but can't for the life
of me find one for the crankcase.
Anyone know where it can be hiding?
...lew...

I had the stick-shift version, so this could be
different. But, it is on the right side of the
car, close to the engine block, somewhat under the
air cleaner area. It is a little, triangular
yellow ring. If the plastic ring broke off, you'd
need to know exactly where it comes out PLUS a
floodlight, or you'd NEVER find the thing. There
is a total forest of tubes and wires back there.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Lew Hartswick wrote:
Grandaughter has a 89 Toyota Corolla and I
can't find the engine oil dip stick. There is
one into the transmission, I can see where it
goes and it has ATF on it, but can't for the life
of me find one for the crankcase.
Anyone know where it can be hiding?
...lew...

Which one is it Lew?

Model Year Range Engine Chassis
Corolla 2Dr Coupe 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Corolla 4Dr Sedan 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Corolla GTS Coupe 1988 - 1991 4AGE AE92
Corolla2WD Wagon JPN 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Corolla4WD Sedan JPN 1989 - 1990 4AFE AE95
Corolla4WD Wagon JPN 1988 - 1992 4AFE AE95

--Winston

It must be the : Corolla 4Dr Sedan 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Since it is a sedan and only 2 WD with an automatic.

OK where is the dip stick? I still can't find it.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

I was going to say something about the 710 but I was afraid
someone would jump on be for being mean to blonds. :-)

Do you think the blondes will notice?

Hum, I wonder if Hawkie & Cliff are blondes?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

(...)

It must be the : Corolla 4Dr Sedan 1988 - 1989 4AF AE92
Since it is a sedan and only 2 WD with an automatic.

OK where is the dip stick? I still can't find it.
...lew...

I think it's missing, Lew.

From:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...toyota-corolla

"The dipstick for the engine oil is back by the power steering
reservoir and the adjuster bracket for the power steering pump.
If you are facing the engine it is in the left rear corner area
of the engine. Look straight back from the oil filler cap and
just beyond the edge of the aluminum valve cover is the stick.
This is for the 4AF engine."

I bet you could find the place it plugged into with a mirror
and flashlight.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I find the thought that my daughter's 1990 Toyota pickup may not be the
absolute nadir of automotive maintainability extremely frightening.

It's not. That dubious honor belongs to the Fiat X-1/9. DAMHIKT.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 11, 5:23*pm, Wes wrote:

Change timing belt 20K miles or learn what an interference is.

Wes

Spealing of timing belts, I changed the 91 Ranger's this weekend and
now the engine rattles. It has the 2.3l engine, with electronic
ignition so there's no distributor. I marked around the ignition
pickup location on the crank pulley when the camshaft was at the
timing mark. The accessory drive pulley may have shifted a notch but
the crank and cam are definitely aligned as before. The crank pulley
hub has to be slid out part way for clearance so I made a wrench to
fit it and didn't lock the crank to loosen the nut by putting it in
gear, as some have suggested.

Nothing external hits when I turn it slowly and all other belts,
pulleys and the outer timing cover are off so they aren't the source
of the noise. It sounds a little like loose lifters after an oil
change, but that goes away quickly.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 11, 5:40*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 11, 5:23*pm, Wes wrote:

[...]

When I had a 92 ranger with the 4.0 I found
www.therangerstation.com to be a very helpful resource.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 11 May 2009 14:40:53 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On May 11, 5:23Â*pm, Wes wrote:

[...]

Belt too tight? Or too loose?
Tensioner mis-aligned?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

(...)

From:
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...toyota-corolla

"The dipstick for the engine oil is back by the power steering
reservoir and the adjuster bracket for the power steering pump.
If you are facing the engine it is in the left rear corner area
of the engine. Look straight back from the oil filler cap and
just beyond the edge of the aluminum valve cover is the stick.
This is for the 4AF engine."

I bet you could find the place it plugged into with a mirror
and flashlight.

--Winston

OK I finally got where I could see the yellow handle. Of course
it's almost impossible to get your hand down through all those
pipes etc. When you do, and get ahold of the ring it is again
impossible to get your hand back out holding it.
Finally got it checked and showed the grandaughter where it
is and how to check the oil.
PHEW!!!!!
Thanks everyone for the help.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

OK I finally got where I could see the yellow handle. Of course
it's almost impossible to get your hand down through all those
pipes etc. When you do, and get ahold of the ring it is again
impossible to get your hand back out holding it.

Glad you got it, Lew!
The Camry of that era had the oil filter and dipstick in clear
view and both were very easily accessible.

I see the '07 version has the oil filter _under the car_.
Grrr.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.