Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default An automobile question

On May 11, 5:40*pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On May 11, 5:23*pm, Wes wrote:

Change timing belt 20K miles or learn what an interference is.

Wes

Spealing of timing belts, I changed the 91 Ranger's this weekend and
now the engine rattles. It has the 2.3l engine, with electronic
ignition so there's no distributor. I marked around the ignition
pickup location on the crank pulley when the camshaft was at the
timing mark. The accessory drive pulley may have shifted a notch but
the crank and cam are definitely aligned as before. The crank pulley
hub has to be slid out part way for clearance so I made a wrench to
fit it and didn't lock the crank to loosen the nut by putting it in
gear, as some have suggested.

Nothing external hits when I turn it slowly and all other belts,
pulleys and the outer timing cover are off so they aren't the source
of the noise. It sounds a little like loose lifters after an oil
change, but that goes away quickly.

jsw

When I had a 92 ranger with the 4.0 I found
www.therangerstation.com to be a very helpful resource.

Dave