Old April 22nd 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default metal fatigue

Daughter's car was making strange noises, brought it down to the shop
twice before I could make it do the noise for me. After some looking
and checking I looked in the inspection port for the trans torque
converter and saw a little peice sticking out. found the problem.

www.enter.net/~rbraun/flexplate.jpg

For even more metalworking content, it seems the engine was missing
one of the dowel pins to align the trans. I had to make one on the
lathe, 18.5mm OD and 14MM ID. Mechanic friend said that most likely
was why the flexplate broke due to the mis-alignment betwwen the two
parts.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Old April 22nd 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:44:31 -0500, Randy
wrote:

Daughter's car was making strange noises, brought it down to the shop
twice before I could make it do the noise for me. After some looking
and checking I looked in the inspection port for the trans torque
converter and saw a little peice sticking out. found the problem.

www.enter.net/~rbraun/flexplate.jpg

For even more metalworking content, it seems the engine was missing
one of the dowel pins to align the trans. I had to make one on the
lathe, 18.5mm OD and 14MM ID. Mechanic friend said that most likely
was why the flexplate broke due to the mis-alignment betwwen the two
parts.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

---------
Nice photograph. What year, make, model and engine is the car?
Did the mechanic seem to think this was a unique problem or
endemic to this brand?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).
Old April 22nd 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:

Daughter's car was making strange noises, brought it down to the shop
twice before I could make it do the noise for me. After some looking
and checking I looked in the inspection port for the trans torque
converter and saw a little peice sticking out. found the problem.

www.enter.net/~rbraun/flexplate.jpg

I wonder how the rear main bearing and the bushing for the torque converter where it goes
into the oil pump looks?

Wes
Old April 23rd 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Randy wrote:

Daughter's car was making strange noises, brought it down to the shop
twice before I could make it do the noise for me. After some looking
and checking I looked in the inspection port for the trans torque
converter and saw a little peice sticking out. found the problem.

www.enter.net/~rbraun/flexplate.jpg

I wonder how the rear main bearing and the bushing for the torque
converter where it goes
into the oil pump looks?

Wes

I would recommend new front seal for the transmission while the transmission
is on the floor.Cheap part but a pain to replace if you have to pull the
transmission.

John

Old April 24th 09, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 with 2.4L engine. Unique problem caused by
the last guy to work on it and left one of the dowel pins out that
align engine to trans.

New seals would have been a good idea, but I'm sick as a dog, coughing
shivering, heads feels like it's in a box, can't hear or taste
anything, so my cousin actually did most of the work with a little
help from me. There were no leaks, so in went the new flexplate, with
a newly machined dowel and back together it went.

Never even thought to give the convertor a wiggle to see if the
bushing was shot, Just glad my friend was there to catch the missing
dowel pin, I don't think I would have caught it.

Remove 333 to reply via email

Old April 24th 09, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Its a fairly common problem with small chevys and large fords. Pain it the
butt to fix