Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default metal fatigue

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:44:31 -0500, Randy
wrote:

Daughter's car was making strange noises, brought it down to the shop
twice before I could make it do the noise for me. After some looking
and checking I looked in the inspection port for the trans torque
converter and saw a little peice sticking out. found the problem.

www.enter.net/~rbraun/flexplate.jpg

For even more metalworking content, it seems the engine was missing
one of the dowel pins to align the trans. I had to make one on the
lathe, 18.5mm OD and 14MM ID. Mechanic friend said that most likely
was why the flexplate broke due to the mis-alignment betwwen the two
parts.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

---------
Nice photograph. What year, make, model and engine is the car?
Did the mechanic seem to think this was a unique problem or
endemic to this brand?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils: